When is the next TLP? Ready for a new one. Preference. No box. One account. Starts on Kunark.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MMOer, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Senadin Elder

Not that it will ever happen but i dont know how friendly the code is to making something like dual class or multi class? Removing class restrictions to some/all races? This would be more for an expansion than a TLP...
  2. Gnothappening Augur

Favorite expansion was Kunark. Next favorite was Omens. After that I didn't really keep up much, maybe DoDH for the monster missions.

I think the main issue I had with Velious, other than being a gnome in a giant and dragon's world, was the lack of character progression. No levels and AA weren't in yet. I just hated Luclin. Everything about it. We are on the moon. Mobs look like something from science fiction rather than fantasy.
  3. Tymeless Augur

Had Selo's had 6 to 8 week unlocks and double loot drops with normal DZ lockouts Phoenix Ascended would have been on Selo's. If they ever rehash the server I would kind of like a Velious start for 6 weeks then add luclin in for 6 weeks then go from there with expansion releases whether its 6 weeks or 8 weeks. The 12/8 cycle is too long but the 4 week cycle was way to quick.
  4. Malkavius Augur

Never really understood the hate for luclin being too science fictiony. Hell it barely has anything that even looks like science fiction other than the few mobs that obviously look like martian men. Especially since sci fi has been ingrained with tooons of fantasy since the 70s. I mean there's a freaking UFO in qeynos. The gods are actual aliens from other planets! We spent several expansions fighting interplanetary space dimension invaders!

Hell D&D which EQ is mostly based off even has a dedicated space setting with the Spelljammer series. Not to mention tons of monsters and being from different planets as well. Might and Magic, Wizardry, Albion, lots of fantasy games have sci fi in them and have forever. You can only paint a dragon a different color so many times before it becomes boring.
    Thewiz and Genoane like this.
  5. Gnothappening Augur

I didn't like the UFO in Qeynos either tbh. As for DND, yeah, there was spelljammer, but that is pulling some of the worst of the worst :p For what it is worth, I don't dig parallel dimensions either, at least not from the concept of alternate versions of the same reality. I also don't dig the concept of slaying the gods when all your healers get their powers from them.

I think for me it comes down to character progression. OG eq you get 50 levels. Kunark brings 10 more. Luclin adds in AA and PoP gives both AA and levels. Velious brought some cool story lines but nothing else other than gear.

Oh and I'm sorry but tons of Luclin looks like sci fi. Martian type mobs, stuff from a episode of Docto Who, lots of things like that.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The reason for some restrictions is that not all models have the animations in the character files for some things, like the Human monk flying kick doesn't exist in the files of all races for example so not all could be granted monk class without it having some jarring holes in the animations, altering any of those animations now is all but impossible for technical reasons.

Some races don't have the data to show certain armour types, again meaning some restrictions are needed to not have some glaring glitches the team have no easy way to fix.

They cannot add any new races or classes without a very risky & potentially game-breaking (as in the game simply stops working game breaking) overhaul of some very deeply embedded hard-coded things like the registers for classes and player races are 2-bit so it cannot hold more than 16 values - hence a cap of 16 races & 16 classes is what we have reached now. the idea of "multi-classes" would regardless of what the combination is be a new class which there is no room for.
    Senadin likes this.
  7. Nolrog Augur

LOL. Multi-class was something the programmers were planning on doing over lunch one day but they decided not to skip their yogurt*.

The can of worms this would create is monstrous.

* sarcasm
    Senadin likes this.
  8. ikarinokamii Elder

the next TLP should be like agnarr but lock in either in PoR or TSS.
  9. James Augur

It's still the largest pop on all TLP's. This is the way it always is, the newest TLP will have most everyone but a new TLP releases and the last TLP becomes a ghost town - rince/repeat over and over. This is the failing of the TLPs
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's just not true.

Every TLP thus far has indeed lost some players when the new TLP opened up but none of them lost a majority of their players in one go, not even close. The trend thus far has been losing 1-2 guilds per expansion, when Coirnav opened Phinigel lost no more guilds than they did per expansion than at any other time.

I guess it depends on your definition of a Ghost-Town though.
    Machen and Nolrog like this.
  11. Tweakfour17 Augur

I used to think every TLP got decimated upon the release of the next as well until I looked at the tracking sheet and realized it was mostly just Agnarr and Coirnav that got hurt. Agnarr it's difficult to say how the attrition happened since they're locked at LDoN but looks like they lost 7 guilds between Luclin and PoP and then whatever happened after that. Coirnav for sure took a much larger hit than 1-2 guilds in the PoP->GoD time frame also losing 7 guilds before settling into the 1-2 guild attrition until it settled out the same as Selo/Phinny with a couple "see it out until the end" type guilds.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Pikollo Augur

This has worked out so well for the TLP's. For the people using VM's and such I mean.
    Nolrog likes this.
  13. Pikollo Augur

For whatever reason people will always jump ship and go to the new TLP to play classic. Maybe not all of them but a lot do. Between this and people leaving per expac as you say it dwindles a TLP down a lot.

The big thing here is every new TLP is the golden child of the lot. They make a TLP, it makes them money, they pay attention to those TLP's and enforce rules or change things to make it better. Then once a new TLP comes out that old TLP is forgotten since the new money maker is live.So when they make something new expact your servers to be forgotten even more.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Tyvolus Journeyman

With the exception of a pvp one, there isnt much reason to do any more. Just play one of the countless cookie-cutter ones they already got out.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

Play selo tlp! Every zone is wide open!
  16. Gremin Augur

No new servers in 2021. Lets stop spreading tlp fan base thinner and thinner. Phinny is set to hit live in 2021 I believe. Let the rest of the tlps have a chance.
    Lejaun likes this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I get what you're saying but while the dev team is small, depleted & largely overworked I must give them at least some credit, the community of Phinigel & Selo have made a lot of noise over certain issues relating to their servers & up until August ish the Dev team as a whole, but Ngreth & Prathun in particular did quite a bit of what we had asked for relating to things on TLP servers in general that will benefit the TLP that follow them.

There was plenty of stuff they didn't have time to look at doing as they hit the point of the year that they had to focus on the expansion, but while it might be pretty much too late to do anything for Selo or Phinny on the Truebox removal discussion/decision/direction & some clarification on how these servers will be handled when they become live servers I hope to see something from them on that in January, after the CoV expansion is out the door & the holiday season is behind us.

I still think its folly to perpetuate myths or even half-myths however well-intentioned they may be.

Back on Topic:
    I would like a GoD-Mode TLP, either with level locks staggered over a period of time or a 51/50 start with everything up to GoD unlocked & Omens of war opens 4 weeks after Tunat Muram has been beaten. Then we can have Bst & Ber in at the start of the server rather than catching up after eveyone has already been playing a year or so.
    code-zero and Smackage3 like this.
  18. Nolrog Augur

Phini and Selo will both be live by mid 2021 (Selo first I believe). There is a bunch of TLP players that will be ready for something to do, and Aradune and Riz will past POP so I'm not sure if people will want to go there. So I would bet we will see something new ~mid-year.
  19. Gremin Augur

Ewww
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Free trade ain't happenin' bruh.
    code-zero likes this.