No More Kunark or Velious remakes ever again PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elyssanda, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Elyssanda Bardbrain

For goodness sake there are other expansions out there if you MUST remake. Luclin? Take us back to the moon, or take us to the OTHER moon. or any of the other expansions, PoP got a small nod , but it could use a full redo. (Some of us Loved LDoN and DoN, and yes, some HATED LDoN) There is quite a long list to chose from STOP for goodness sake STOP revisiting ONLY these two expansions.

Some loved Kunark and Velious, but some of us LOATHED (dangit- where is the vomit emoji) them to the depths of our souls and it's time to JUST SAY NO! ala Barbara Bush.
    eq4kyle, Coagagin, Tarvas and 2 others like this.
  2. Metanis Bad Company

Tell us how you really feel! :)
  3. Coas Lorekeeper

100% on board to revisit plane of time at level 120.
    Bardy McFly, Funky, menown and 2 others like this.
  4. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I liked the mixed approach of TBL.

Give us new zones but intersperse missions in popular old zones: Tyrant of Fire, Delivery, and Remodeling in old PoFire, and Strange Magic in Chamber of Tears.
  5. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I wouldn't mind seeing a Luclin remake!! Ssra Temple, Seru, VT, and lots of other zones to revisit.
    Andarriel, Issk, Coas and 2 others like this.
  6. Hekaton Augur

lol watch their next expansion be a remake of TOV just to troll us
    Coagagin likes this.
  7. Verily Tjark Augur

Don't be stealing Nancy's thunder and giving it to Barb.

But I agree.
    Zaray and Elyssanda like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'll add to this.

I really enjoyed going back to POP....but it wasn't POP if you know what I mean, it had the old magic nicely balanced with some new zones.

I'm sick of white zones! Need to go somewhere hot and sunny! The main problem which Velious has always been the lack of choice in zones, they were either white, white or white! At least the original had Wakening Lands which was green!

Holly always thought we wanted nostalga, while a lot of us just want somewhere new to explore and die! If we want nostalga there is always the TLPs.
  9. Sancus Augur

I agree that it would be nice to see some variety, and I really think there should be at least one or two new zones per expansion (a la RoS/EoK). While I'm sure that takes more resources, I don't think their environmental art resources have changed markedly since TBL, where they were able to put out six new zones.

I think the problem with the TBL approach is that, while it was definitely cool/exciting to finally see a decent swath of new areas added to EQ, they don't have the resources to design that many interesting new zones. The layouts of the TBL zones are very simple, and I think they make for less compelling experiences than some of the more complex/diverse revamps (especially dungeons). Therefore, I'd rather see a mix between the two.

Given the small size of modern expansions, it would also be really nice to see some additional variety added to the environments in the zones. Obviously Velious is a winter continent, but all of ToV sans some ToFS floors was very white and icy. That's thematically appropriate, but boring. Either different zones (e.g. Wakening Lands) should've been chosen, or they need to take additional liberties with the revamped versions of zones to expand their environmental diversity.

As far as setting, I personally would really love to see the return of Discord, but would be cool with Luclin or PoP too. I hope they skip the remainder of Kunark, at least for a while.
  10. Tegila Augur

I feel like I started something lol

Agree 1000%. Stop reusing the same stuff multiple times, especially the plain boring monochrome zones like these (I wouldn't look forward to go types either, but Oasis maybe, and places attached to the Ros would be fine.

I went on a bit of a rant about this last night in the twitch thread. Thought I was the only one(big part beyong the boring scenery that bugs me is the monotonous running in said monochrome zones that are also huge, feels like walking)

There are so many other old expansions out there, there was some reuse from OoW in SoD but the best zones we're ignored. Newer old zones also have more to offer, some of TSS was sorta reused in cotf, but what about frostcrypt etc? Luclin is an idea bc...moon. DoN was cool (I was never big on ldons myself, but a resurgence of wayfarers brotherhood and the adventurer Stone and maybe adding new ways to travel to old and new zones might be nice) myabe an expansion that redoes a bunch of old endgame zones, like frostcrypt/ashengate, anguish, crystallisation, time, etc, but making them group zones(crystallisation was both, but the rest were either inaccessible to grouping until it was irrelevant content, or it wasn't very friendly to that end) then either set them in tiers by popularity or date of release, and add in the requisite raid instances.

There are so many things that can be done without creating fullexpansions of new zones, why is it the same stuff over and over?
  11. kizant Augur

Velious is by far their best content and I think it makes sense to revisit every few years. Luclin needs to explode so we can pretend it never existed.
  12. Fallor_FV New Member

Uh isn't it likely they're doing 2 expansions in Kunark, now 2 in Velious, I don't think it takes a crystal ball to guess that the next two expansions in 2021 and 2022 will be Luclin with the possibilty of a TBL style expansion next year to shake things up.
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Soo...hello Drinal?
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Soulbanshee Augur

Only Kunark and Velious remakes PLEASE!
    Nolrog and Elyssanda like this.
  15. Szilent Augur

The Shadows of Luclin expansion's story was the Combine story, which already continued in The Buried Sea, The Darkened Sea, and Empires of Kunark before wrapping up (for now) with the bad end of warmonger Lcea in RoS. Regardless of how it goes on, it's unlikely to continue on the moon.

Returning to the Luclin setting might mean continuing the Gods story via the goddess Luclin herself, I suppose? Certainly her people the Akhevans are still around and she said something about "calling on us" near the end of RoF. I think the Ssra/Khatisha story is canonically wrapped up via player actions, but New Silysar expatriates might have feelings about certain properties up there.

We haven't tangled with Discord in a bit, as Sancus observes.

What I most dream of? for the second half of TBL to include the elemental forces of earth, enraged by player complicity in burglarizing the reliquary at Mearatas, forcibly co-opting elemental water to drown PoK (plus Lobby. leaving only the Library itself unsubmerged), so's the mechanical roles of quest & shopping hub & craft hub & travel hub & corpse retrieval can get farmed out to appropriate and less trafficked zones.
    NayiliuFV and Ssdar like this.
  16. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Shush SB. just shush
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Elyssanda Bardbrain

go.. revisit it on TLP.
    3 strikes and they're out. we need to be DONE with Velious (and Kunark)
    Ssdar and Skuz like this.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

The only thing about Velious remakes is that we can't go raid Tunare's lingerie drawer again.
  19. Nadisia Augur

I do agree on that part, Velious is also my prefered expansion ... but, no more Velious please.

Or at least make the effort to create new undiscovered and unexplored zones, hidden behind some magic stuff.
    But pretty please, no more Kael Drakkel, Cristal Caverns, etc.
  20. kizant Augur

Well maybe. If there's no cat people.
    Sancus likes this.