New trend with all games?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

No, no you absolutely are not. Aradune allows boxing. You went to Aradune with the intention to box your two accounts.

You and others were dissatisfied with the lack of enforcement of the ruleset, which allows boxing. The correct conclusion is quite clearly that your example serves as to how DPG may be losing money off a lack of GM support and a lack of enforcement of the stated rulesets, which allow boxing.

As a matter of fact, you are a perfect example of how DPG makes money off boxing given the enforcement of their rules, since you are, after all, a subbed boxer.

The issue you are complaining about in your example is not boxing. It's AFK gameplay, warping, toxic cultures of camp stealing and training, etc. None of that has anything to do with boxing.

After about 4 hours of camping Fjokar for Kael hunter in ToV, he finally spawned. Repops occurred so I was killing them. I thought during this time how angry I would be if someone ganked my kill. I would probably take a few days off if after all that time spent a group showed up and Lolz u sux0rz get skills ganked my named. Wouldn't matter if it was a box group, automated group, a full group of 6 live people or a mass zergfest of 300 L30 toons. It's toxic and people quit over it, yet DPG has taken a DPS race attitude towards issues like this, and TLP is (rumored) to be full of it.

It's the first come first serve doesn't matter who is camping what toxicity and and AFK automation locking down camps indefinitely that kills servers like Aradune, not legitimate boxing.
    Tegila and Nadisia like this.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

I don't care about World of Warcraft. I also don't have any interest in the TLP servers except as cash machines to help keep the real servers going. So, does any aspect of this seemingly endless thread actually apply to the Live servers? I accept that boxing is here to stay. I avoided boxing until late last year when I gave in and started another account. It has worked well for me and I don't use any software to help me manage that.

1. How does boxing harm my game play on the Live servers?
    2. Since boxing and botting ARE two seperate things, why do so many seem to confuse the two?
    3. I know lots of folks who drop boxes for live players. Is this really uncommon?
    4. Did anyone who was around near the beginning of the game (I started in October 2000) actually enjoy taking 30 minutes and more to put a group together? Many was the evening that I would log on and waste a long period of time hoping for a healer. Sometimes we got one and sometimes we didn't. /ex deep voice says, "not fun".
    5. Do folks really, and I mean really, think that mercs are ever going to vanish from the game? Or is this just another exercise in peevish ventilation about what they can't change?
    6. If folks really think that a particular server, TLP or otherwise, is really toxic, then why still play on it?

Just a few thoughts. Rainy here in San Diego. Snow up in the mountains. A bit bored and tired of people wanting to discuss p******s.

And, RIP Alex Trebek.
  3. Strawberry Augur

Grouping was very accessible during expansions that relied on currency and instanced missions with a central gathering point.

LDON, DoN, DoD and later on OMM missions.

These expansions avoided long travel thanks to instanced content with a central meeting point and they gave players shared currency which avoided loot drama.

Imo expansions like DoN and DoD are the best expansions EQ made. The goal of an MMO is to bring people together, DoN did this. Forming a group should never be such a hindrance that people are eventually forced to box to make a group happen.

OMM were also a fantastic idea. This lifted the gear barrier and brought people together who would have otherwise never grouped together.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  4. Captain Video Augur

Not going to happen due to customer information privacy rules. It's an honor system here and always will be, when it comes to claims about playing time and money spent. It isn't all that hard to tell who knows the game and who doesn't. The forum allows you to put any individual poster on ignore, which will filter out all of his/her posts. They tend to go away once they realize their audience has shrunk to zero.

Someone more enterprising than I am needs to come up with a meme showing a guy at a computer inside a big cage, with a sign outside the cage that says, "Do Not Feed the Troll".
  5. Sissruukk Rogue One

Closest thing I could find:

[IMG]
    Nadisia and Captain Video like this.
  6. Bamboompow Augur

This aspect is in most co-op games now. Massive DPS means that game mechanics, good party make up and most anything resembling common courtesy are moot. A few DPS gods (small "g") can carry everyone else and circumvent any semblance of etiquette. That same logic means you can have some joker who boxes 3 characters like hot garbage but can blast DPS on 4th still not having to really bother to group.
    EQ and WoW have reached a certain level of maturity. Which roughly translates into the glory days of PUGs etc are long gone and everyone is a salty veteran who can't stomach anyone else but skill equal to or better than their own. Devs currently responsible for either title can't really crack down on boxing without first fostering a resurgent in-game environment where its beneficial to once again be social. Newer games such as ESO have sort of gone the participation trophy route, but it actually works. There is probably very little boxing or botting in ESO, because there really isn't a need to.Granted, even in ESO a vulgar display of DPS can short cut a great many things.

Long story short is boxing and botting are a symptom, not the actual affliction.
  7. Nadisia Augur

*ok, trollburgers cooked, let me feed him a bit, it's my turn* :p

I don't see why, and how it's less accessible nowadays for actual missions.

Oh, maybe because you have to move your bum a bit to some specific zones to run your missions?
    Yeah, for sure, it was way easier to sit all day long in front of Old Man McKenzie in PoK, or at a some random LDoN camp, to chain farm ad nauseam.

And side note : never liked the monsters missions system, so for me, it was more a repulsive than an incentive.

But you know, general cat channels do exist. meow
    Make your group, make your calls on /1, and move a bit, nothing crazy nor exhausting with the ton of translocation points easily accessible.

So explain me, Oh wise Seer, how is that less accessible?
    Tegila likes this.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

Lots of good points.

So much negativity. I'm glad I can see the majority of the good rather than the negative few.
  9. Flatchy Court Jester

Sorry do not watch that either, I have seen Jordan there is no reason to watch anymore.

Oh and bad analogy is bad analogy. Two completely different things while (legitimate boxing) and single toon playing are exactly the same game. One just takes more effort , dont be jealous get on board and join the fun!
  10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I wasn't boxing on Aradune. I have 3 accounts. I only play on one at a time now. I have 2 active because i hadn't played for months and forgot what account my 51 Necro and stuff was on. So i Kronoed up the wrong account. I used 2 box for a bit on Phinny, always felt like i was cheating the game when i did it BTW.

I'm the one that argued for the rules to limit to 2 boxing. The reason had nothing to do with liking 2 boxing. It's purely because 2 boxing is harder to enforce and 2 boxing doesn't cause nearly the damage boxing groups or armies does. It's really hard to tell the difference between someone playing 2 PCs well and 2 actual people, it's not very hard when someone using boxing software is playing 6.

No boxing is a very large part of the issue.
    Vumad likes this.
  11. Bamboompow Augur

Sorry if there was some perception of negativity. Was trying to be a bit pragmatic. Boxing and mercs are sort of symptoms of the same problem: Issues with full participation in the group game.

Devs need to address that aspect more if they can, however its not like they are sitting idle either. Their mission still remains as far as making content that is "EQ", which is to say fun and accessible but still a challenge for a decent spectrum of players and not giving away the store. There are plenty of challenges that really require a disciplined full group of skilled players investing the time.

Frequently an evening in group content require efficiency in pulling that group together as well as executing whatever adventures are planned, at least when an expac is fresh. Having a set group (clique) usually takes care of that, unless you aren't in said clique. Its fair to say that anyone who has that issue...well, that's on them.

Not going to go into any more detail as its all been said ad-nauseam. EQ's success as far as raids go really do present massive hurdles when crafting, tuning and balancing the group content. If EQ or any game nails that perfect balance, then reliance on mercs and boxes should diminish. Otherwise, those symptoms are not going away and trying to go after boxing specifically will harm revenue.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Sorry no.

FORUM Quest and EverQuest are two different games, and neither is required for the other.

To review a few of the rules.
    The voracity of what anyone says here is up to you to decide. And you can always:
    -Ignore what a person says.
    -Believe what a person says.
    -Disbelieve what a person says.
    -Engage in a civil discussion with the person.

Although both have an element of reputation involved. The way you develop your credibility is completely different in the two games.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

Uh... why would you need two accounts?

Edit: Never mind. Asked and answered.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think the fact that Everquest had a much larger player base then had much more to do with it then those particular expansions.
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Angahran Augur

Maybe if anyone had actually attempted to attract NEW player in, oh let's say the last 10 YEARS we'd have a higher population.
    Tegila, Vumad and Nennius like this.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It is what it is.
  17. Tappin Augur

This thread is misguided at best. The demand molo/solo friendly content is always going to be high. Not everyone has two hours each night to complete missions or progression. It takes at least 15 - 30 to setup for missions/progression, why bother logging in. It’s obvious why people turn to 3rd party programs.