Sarnak among us

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by YetAnotherAlt, Nov 7, 2020.

1. YetAnotherAlt New Member

Group = SK, Mage, Druid (occassionally a Shaman) Merc/Merc.

We are 1/2 way through TBL yet can't seem to find a way to finish this quest and get EOK progression done. Does anyone have a good strategy with this group to kill the blobs before they get to the fort?

Thanks.
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

Honestly, more DPS is needed. It is a DPS race. I am not sure if the blobs can be punted backwards, but if you do that, the druid would have to be swapping back and forth between the blobs constantly. Bring in a ranger or two, so that you don't have to worry about meleeing on that stupid hill.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Mercs are useless on this, except to heal you.

You will likely need some extra dps help if your current line up is already struggling on the smaller blobs, let alone the big blob at the end, that big one is an all out dps check & melee is a royal pain in the rear due to the slope of that hill as Sissruuk said, having just one other real player on a caster dps can make this feel trivial.

Position your levitated dotters/nukers at the base of the slope so that they have good LoS with autofollow off & make some macros if you don't have any for some better sustained dps while you go ham on the Shd, punts do help if you have them, I know Enc one did at least. Mage - use all the pets you can throw at it.

If you are meleeing my only suggestion is learn to mouse-strafe sideways down the hill alongside the big blob and don't be too close so the blob stays visible within your front-arc longer - it can take several attempts to get the hang of this but being directly behind or directly in front of the path of the big blob was not working at all if you can do that while also using discs it gets a lot better. If you have pets on it pay attention to where they are because the game engine tracks/renders pet positions better than it tracks/renders mob positions so sticking with the pets help manage any server/zone lag better.
    Nadisia and Captain Video like this.
  4. Captain Video Augur

I agree with Skuz' strategy, with the addendum that a ranger can cakewalk this using Flusterbolt/Blusterbolt to essentially root the bombs at their spawn points. Then just DPS them down. Of course, if you don't have a ranger, stick with the plan above.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Mage and SK should be plenty of dps for this.

Put out all your burns on the first one and gain some time, don't try and catch up after falling behind going slow.
    Sancus likes this.
  6. Gialana Augur

I always killed only 1 of the 2 smaller blobs each wave. With the big blob, I had to use burns.
  7. Szilent Augur

Sancus likes this.
  8. Nadisia Augur

Agreed with Skuz, and on the ranger with Fluster/Bluster.
    With a chanter, it's a cake too : with beguiler's banishment and beguiler's direct banishment, you can almost chain punt them backwards to give you a ton of time to kill the blobs.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea i was doing this on my ranger didnt know about the flust/bluster and got my wiz into group for dps couldnt kill fast enough. tried my mage samething then i learned about the flust and it worked np as it refreshed ever 10 secs so basically the blob would make no progress since it moves real slow to begin with but before that a pain. So get a ranger easy peasy! Ranger for the Win! i was bored with sk so i got all the eok hunters but needed dragon essence for last hunter mob all took like a month faster than i could do south karana sadly lol.

Andarriel
  10. GoneFission Augur

Necromancer knock back was resisted too much to work. Shaman knock back was resisted less, but refreshed too slowly. I didn’t have a ranger for a flusterbolt.

What worked for me was to ignore one of the blobs on the 2 at a time, focus on getting one each time. For the mega lava bomb, I put an enchanter at the bottom of the hill, sicced the pet on it, and carefully made sure I hit the chanter knock back each refresh. Miss one from a hasty click, and the lava bomb gets home. In between I kept all my dots on it and nuked each refresh. If you don’t have enough dps, you need a knock back.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For those of us who are numbers oriented, what would the DPS number be which is needed if there is no knockback available?

Just curious. I saw the post above saying an SK, Mage or Druid should have enough DPS to take the last mob down all alone. I find that a bit questionable. Did it in-era with a full group (perhaps we had one merc, a healer), and a couple of the people did outstanding DPS (necro, rogue), and it was still far from a cakewalk.

Perhaps the commenter meant, now at 115, those classes could do enough DPS solo. That's why I would be interested to see what actual DPS is needed to take out the mob.

EDIT: OK, realized I could kind of answer my own question. Found the log from back in '17.

The lava bombs appear to have about 2M HPs each, and we took out the four in about 100 seconds, total, for a DPS rate of 68K.

The Mega lavabomb had about 7M HP, and was killed in 46 seconds, for a total DPS of 148K.

So, yes, at 115, all three mentioned classes could do enough DPS to take out the mobs. For the Mega, in particular, the SK could just HT it for the insta-kill ;)

Oh, and learned one more thing.... wow, my memory stinks..... it was a group of 5, no mercs, and two of the chars were several levels lower than us. The DPS was all from three chars (Warrior, Necro, Druid). I was 106, other two were probably 107 or 108.
  12. Kaeladar Journeyman

i used to struggle on this when i was around the quest level, at the time i used enchanter. enchanter can infinitely knock back the mobs, near the bottom there is a place where if you knock back the mobs they will do some weird pathing and waste time until your KB is available again.

I did again recently with paladin druid and mage. mage on its own had enough DPS to handle it so didn't need KB. I think i did the small ones with ease and use twincast if close, then used all burns/ pet burnout for the big one and a few dots from druids with twincast, it took care of it.
  13. Szilent Augur

Didn't assume 115. OP said they're halfway through Burning Lands, which means they're 110. There's all kinda dumb TLPs, for all I know that's all the content that OP in particular has.

On my self buffed-only druid just now in the guildhall I clicked AAs:
    Spirit of the Great Wolf AA
    Focus Arcanum AA
    Nature's Fury AA
    Destructive Vortex AA
    Spire of Nature AA
    Twincast (spell / AA, same thing)

I cast on the target:
    Blessing of Ro AA
    Season's Wrath AA
    Horde of Polybiads (level 108)
    Sunflame (level 109)
    Nature's Blistering Wrath (level 110)
    NBW wears off
    Nature's Blistering Wrath (level 110)

Didn't put in any nukes while those ran, not even big' ol Dissident or the AA ones. No melee for procs, no swarm pets or BP click. Druid is a twink, her staff is sadly missing one proc aug and I have no evolver augs. No dragon potion. Didn't get any magician partner for Conjurer's Synergy. I cut off the damage at 50s when Sunflame expired so's to not count the tail of Horde dot which would be beyond the duration you described.

Twenty-two million.
    Mithra and Tatanka like this.