New trend with all games?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Vanrau Augur

No the game engine, 32 bit legacy code, a dwindled player base and a small company making this game is the thing that snared EQ in place.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Tappin Augur

There would be no ROI updating EQ. That has nothing to do with boxers.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Conspiracy theories... another thing running rampant in recent years!
    Duder and Nennius like this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

How did you know I was in a basement? :(
    Nennius likes this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I am 100% on board with this.
  6. kookoo Augur

i agree with that , i am boxing 5 ( same computer / screen ) and i like to box .
    ** i never used any 3rd party software ** to help boxing.

i am adding some LFG here and there in guild / friend , if i can at least have one toon in group, and i keep other toons outside to help on dps and all,

we can have tasks and max xp pretty fast now, when i was not boxing many years ago and nothing left to do i was taking a break here and there due to being too boring.

since i box i didn't take anymore break, because there is always something to do.

and we DON'T need a program to box, sure it can help a lot but it is not a must.

one software can let you use automation while other don;t , that is the problem,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    and you think boxing holding the game back? , what i am thinking is it could be all those boxing who keep the game alive , take out all boxing and all the $$ darkpaw will loose,
  7. Tegila Augur

Yeah lol of I quit all but 1 acct I could still play with my daily buddy...but if he also quit all but 1 acct we'd be a pair of SKs and wouldn't get to play together because...why would a group form around 2 tanks? And both of our time is limited and/or we have to take a break to do this or that irl stuff, should we be starting groups, ending groups over and over? Or go afk repeatedly on said groups? At EQs inception, the player base was much younger. Now we have responsibilities and are much less able to just dedicate a block of hours on end without interruption. Boxing for both of us prevents us from annoying other ppl trying to group too.

If we want to play slow and relaxed we can, we don't have to chain pull so Joe schmo can burn his lesson and leave the group then wait for replacement etc. Rinse repeat. Whichever of us is the leader will just take care of the loot, we don't worry about rolling on drops or anything, we just know what who needs etc, and are both always trying to push the loot off on the other before ourselves. That's just how we have played for at least a dozen years. The more people in the mix the less actual social interaction bc ppl are competitng for drops or pushing to pull faster or come and go etc, instead of leisurely chatting and playing as we want to. And then you also have to be talking in group and tells if you want to talk about something that's none of random groupmber Xs business, or to say omg this guy is driving me insane lol
    code-zero likes this.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Are you seriously asking if boxing is holding the game back???? LOL

Not for nothing, but the system requirements when EQ was launched were VERY high. Nearly requiring a 3d add-in card (these were NOT common in 1999).

Your level of entitlement is very strong.
  9. kizant Augur

I think this needs repeating. There's lots of players who would love to group yet so many people do everything with a box army. Is it really fun doing that? I don't get it. I would even say it's worse than playing a single player game because there isn't even a challenge at that point...
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would argue that mis-management of the company and funneling EQ's profits into pie-in-the-sky pet projects are what snared EQ in place.
    Jumbur likes this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

What I meant was: That multi-boxing have much higher system demands than just running a single client, meaning they would have lost a lot of boxers if they updated the engine. Obviously an engine update is expensive, and would only be worth it, if it meant they could regain new players to make up for the lost boxes.
    However I do see a trend in HD-remakes and "remastering" of old games. And If EQ didn't have a boxing tradition in the first place, then I could actually see an engine-upgrade being a way to get new players(if paired with some advertising), without loosing accounts.
    My impression is that most of the genuinely new players on the TLP's doesn't come here for the boxing opportunity, but because they expect social group-play.

Yes! Im aware that, currently, boxers pay a fair share of the subscriptions.

And my "level of entitlement" is actually 115! :p
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

Lot of negativity towards boxing. Very few boxers are bad. Boxing for the most part is very good for EQ. Almost everyone I know who boxes is 2 or 3 box. They readily drop a merc to pickup a PC when one is available.

Very little boxing is anti-social or destructive behavior. We all have different playtimes and different goals in game. Those of us that are behind count on our boxes to help us get caught up, and those of us who are not behind use our boxes to help people complete things they can't find a group for. There is a reason the most common box is a 3-box.

Boxing on 1 PC, boxing of 50 PC, one good, one bad, that's just purist BS. A logitech keyboard can be scripted so that G1 = Win+2, /cast heal, win+1. A single keystroke tabs and heals and tabs back. Trueboxing a single key heals natively. Both instances 1 key press results in one action. The idea that the trueboxer is good and the Multiboxer using a logitech script is bad, because scripts are bad, is just purist ignorance.

EQ, and WoW, does not need a coding nuclear option. We need GMs and guides actively participating in game like we used to. People who see clearly automated AFK gameplay and take action, but not nit-pick on how people are using their multiple paid accounts in ways that have no negative impact on the game or the community.
  13. Evertrek Augur

how does this prove boxing is good for the MMO?
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

It only proves my opinion on the matter. Also, sorry that you are not familiar with introductory paragraphs. Typically, in writing, the first paragraph introduces a number of talking points. They are rarely intended to be correlated directly, however, it is not uncommon for people to force a correlation within the introductory paragraph so as to attempt to undermine the entirety of the writing.

Also, read the second paragraph.
  15. Evertrek Augur

TL;DR
  16. Strawberry Augur

Something I have noticed in EQ is that the demographics are far less diverse than they used to be. EQ seems far more male dominated than it used to be for example. (this is not the case in other long running MMO I am familiar with, like Dofus for example)

The moment boxing becomes the de facto standard on an MMO server, you greatly hinder that server's ability to entice new players to play on it.

A game where boxing becomes the norm, requires players to be technically skilled enough to operate multiple PC and run 3rd party hardware. Not only does this alienate players, having a technical barrier to entry in a game negatively impacts your potential playerbase.

People complained in the past that the EQ UI hinders the ability for EQ to attract new players, but boxing puts off far more players still.
  17. Evertrek Augur

i see the same postings on the WoW forums. from boxers that are probably supplementing their incomes and/or controlling the markets.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

There you have it folks. If you box, you are the patriarchy.
    code-zero and Tegila like this.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This is a really weird flex but OK.
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

And how the hell do you know who's behind the keys of any of these posts?! LOL. Are you really trying to say that women aren't capable of setting up a box crew and playing EQ?
    Nadisia likes this.