Spell Gems and Hotbars

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Cliff, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Cliff New Member

I have saved 3 spell sets. I have 2 hotbars. I loaded the upper hotbar with spell set 1. I then shifted to hotbar page 2 and loaded the next spell set. Those are present on page 2. Now I return to page 1 and the hotbar has been overwritten with the spells I put on page 2.

What am I missing here? 10 hotbar pages are of no use to me if they are all going to show the same spells.

I also tried copying from the spellbook to the hotbar but that overwrites the spell gem!
  2. Genusii Journeyman

The hot bars hold a spell slot, not a spell.
    Szilent likes this.
  3. Cliff New Member

I'm sorry, what?
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

The spell gem that you copy over to the hotbar is just that specific spell gem SLOT from your spell bar. It does not copy over the SPELL.

As that spell gem slot changes, so will the "spell" on the hotbar.

You can only have 13 different spells (assuming you have all the mnemonic retention ranks) available to you at one time. Sounds like you thought some hotbar magic would let you get around that ... it won't
  5. Cliff New Member

Ok I think I get it. So the extra 9 pages of the hotbar are for non-spell actions?
  6. Tucoh Augur

Think of it this way: If you drag your first spell onto the hotbar, whenever you click that it outputs the command "/cast 1".

All the pages of the hotbar function the same way.
  7. Lockdown Elder

Not necessarily. No hot button is dedicated to a spell. Only to a spell gem.

I'm an Enchanter. My first spell gem is generally Tash. So, if I click and drag Tash to my hot bar, as hot button one, then hot button one will cast Tash...but only as long as Tash occupies that spell gem.

If I decide I want to put a slow spell in my first spell gem, then hot button one will cast that slow spell.

In this scenario, hot button one will cast whatever spell is in the first spell gem. If I put a mezz in spell gem one, then hot button one will cast that mezz.

What I would suggest to you, if you save more than one spell set for different scenarios, is that you use one hot bar for one spell set, then a different hot bar to your next spell set. Switch the hot bars as you switch the spell sets.

You can create half a dozen spell sets (or more) for different situations. Then use half a dozen different hot bars for those spell sets. Switch them as you switch spell sets.

Usually, I don't just click and drag spell gems. I use macros.

My mezz might be

/cast 5
    /g Now MEZZING %T! You wake it, you take it.

This will cast whatever spell is in spell gem 5 (which should be a mezz) and says to the group that I'm mezzing a particular mob (which will be specified with %T) and to leave it alone.
  8. Cliff New Member

Thanks that is good advice. I'm currently a mid level monk and this spell stuff is hard to get used to with my low level enchanter. Problem now (not a biggy I guess) is somehow I have bonded hotbar1 slots 7, 9 , 0 and spell gem slot 7. Whatever I do with any of these slots affects all the others. Went into options, keys, hotbar 1 and it looks normal. Even reloaded defaults but to no avail.
  9. Cliff New Member

That's exactly what I was trying to do. I just didn't realize I had to reload a saved spell set each time. It seems the devs should be able to let casters have multiple spell sets on separate hotbars and be able to use any of those sets without reloading the gem each time.
  10. Cliff New Member

And as far as that goes it doesn't matter since whatever spell set I load at the spell gem overwrites both hotbar 1 &2
  11. Monkman Augur

Having the ability to have a somewhat unlimited amount of spell gems would be far too OP. The idea is to make the player choose what spells to load for any given situation. Hence why as the expansions progressed players are given the ability to unlock more spell gems via AA, up to a max of 13 currently on live.
  12. Lockdown Elder

And you may also find that certain AAs make some spells obsolete. For instance, Enchanters now get a Helix AA, which makes the slows and cripples obsolete.
  13. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

I would take 21 yellow mana spell gems plus a few -1 timers for blue mana users!