Achievements Ruined the Spirt of the Game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KrakenReality, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Instead of a constructive reply you just go straight for the ad hominem?

This thread has run it's course, it's boiled down to the OP attacking people instead of their arguments. Dreamweaver, just let it die and close it, please.
  2. KrakenReality Augur

Lol, there’s 4 pages of personal insults and people telling me to quit the game, I’m lazy, I’m trolling, I hate the game, my idea is the bad jelly bean flavor, an attempted memeing, and I ruin RPGs. Get out of here with that line, lol. There was no point replying to that post, because that person didn’t bother to read it. They made an emotional reply telling me to quit.
  3. KrakenReality Augur

Please, elaborate on this complete redesign?
  4. Lostintranslation New Member

For whatever it is worth, I like the Achievement system overall. As a player who is never at the cutting edge of things, I liked having a list of goals to work toward.
    Ironically, achievements (indirectly) are one of the reasons that I don't play anymore. I started to get the achievements to kill named npc's in Stonebrunt Mountains. After several days attempting to find the named, I gave up. The amount of work and insane luck required to get some of the achievements made it no longer fun for me. By luck, I mean the shear randomness required to find named npcs (especially without clear spawn points or camps).
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  5. Nniki Augur

Stonebrunt sends its regards. ;)
    [IMG]
    eqgamer and Velisaris_MS like this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

You don't "find" named...you camp them. You kill their placeholders over and over again until the named you want spawns...then you kill it. And most player made map packs these days show the spawn points for named.
  7. Yimin Augur

No this did not ruin the game for me anyway !

YiMin
    Nennius and Duder like this.
  8. Annastasya Augur

But it's not an achievement for ME, beimeith. What 53 other people do, is not under my control.

And it's not an Everquest achievement. Winning a chess tournament in real life while raiding in EQ would be an achievement, but it would have nothing to do with the game, my toon, it's abilities and how i use them.

Gating away from mechanics is not an achievement. Bypassing mechanics by outleveling the event and burning everything down is not an achievement. Casting no heals and rez-zerging an event is not an achievement. Maybe you feel that using second party programs to play your game for you or playing your lovingly crafted toon in an out-of-class, out of flavor way is an achievement, but i don't.
  9. Tegila Augur

so its not achievements that bother you, as it is Challengers achievements. most achievements are really just longarching quests taht dont take up questlog space, with actual rewards (while others are simply checklists) if yo udont like achievements, turn them off, dont do them, but yo ucertainly cant say they ruined the game.
  10. Duder Augur

So raiding is just about what YOU do? Not the team? Raiding isn't a team event?
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Is a team winning the Superbowl/World Cup/etc. an achievement because you have to share it with the rest of the team? Of course it is.

Whether something should be considered an achievement or not, at least in my view, is entirely dependent on the difficulty and skill required to do it.

Raiding is a group activity, which by itself has nothing to do whatsoever with the difficulty. There is easy solo/group content and hard solo/group content just as there is easy raid content and hard raid content.

That said, in the general sense, requiring more people usually adds difficulty because now you have to coordinate.

Gating to avoid a mechanic is lame, but it isn't fundamentally different from out-ranging the mechanic by running far enough away, or casting DA to prevent the mechanic from landing on you. It is a valid gameplay mechanic (as in, it is a part of the game and you aren't exploiting a bug) even if generally speaking the devs don't like it. (That was the whole reason for the TL nerf, even though idk of any guild that actually did that anymore. Everyone has better gate clickies these days anyway).

Outleveling something often makes it easier and thus less of an achievement, but there are some events where outleveling something makes it HARDER, not easier. It is always situationally dependent.

Zerging in general is lame, be it of the rez variety or not. Whether that makes it an achievement is debatable. If you have to zerg an event does that make it easier or harder than if no one ever died? Probably harder, though since zerging doesn't take skill, it's probably a wash.

I'm not sure what your "second party program" comment is supposed to mean. I don't use any program to play for me.

And as far as playing your character in an out of flavor way, as long as it requires using abilities your characters have, that's not out of character for the class. I'm a Wizard, I've had root spells since Classic. If a raid needs me to cast root spells to win, that's in character, even if I never cast root in a normal gameplay session otherwise and I prefer to be doing damage.
  12. Venedar Lorekeeper

The only achievements that ruin the game are Hertiage Crates which you buy through the DB store. It's a pay to win concept and thoose achievements should be removed from the game.
    Tegila, Duder and Beimeith like this.