Your longest break from Everquest...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Sissruukk Rogue One

My "Total time entitled on this account" is 40 years, 230 days.
    Nadisia and Skuz like this.
  2. Celephane Augur

My longest break, 03-04 when I deployed to Iraq for OIF 1. I've had other breaks since, a month or 3 when I didn't have internet access due to financial reasons, but I've never voluntarily taken a break really. I started in Nov 2000
  3. Zolav Augur

Longest time off that I could have played but didn't... 6 years. Came back in EoK.. why I have NO CLUE haha, next thing I knew I was casting Warcries on raids again haha. When I came back it was like.. ok just casual this time no raiding, BUT what is EQ without raids..
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So true, it's one of the cornerstones of this game and a big part of what makes the community what it is.
  5. Dibab Augur

so much this
  6. Hekaton Augur

Took a couple years off when my old computer fried and I wasn’t in a hurry to get a new one. Saved slowly here and there and about the time I had enough for my laptop I had the urge to play again. Missed most of ring of scale and Burning lands
  7. Jonasin Elder

10 year break.

Started playing somewhere between shortly before Velious launched. I played until Spring of 2007. During a business trip in the Spring of 2017, I downloaded and started playing again.
  8. Rorce Augur

This sums up how I have felt about EQ for a few years now :\.
  9. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

This is a little dark/embarrassing but I'm sure there are plenty of EQ players who can relate.

I took ~1.5 years off in 2009. I was playing EQ way too much and it was negatively affecting school. I remember playing EQ (UF at the time) instead of going to a final exam. I had even signed up for this online study that had me install software that would stop me from running specific programs during scheduled study times, so I would get my homework done.. (I dropped out of the study). When I finally quit EQ, I camped out in the middle of a raid (the ant one in Arthicrex) and uninstalled the game. I rage-cleaned my apartment and went and did IRL stuff and did well in my classes instead of doing well in EQ, since my lack of self control wouldn't let me do both.

I was at a low point when my BF dumped me on Valentine's Day in 2011. The next day the Fippy server launched (Feb 15). I did not go to my classes. The rest is history. :p
    Nniki and kizant like this.
  10. Yimin Augur

About the last two years for me , I tried to come back but that only lasted a month ...

YiMin
  11. Pops Racer Olde Faht

Started in 2001. Stopped in 2003. Restarted in 2020.
    A 17 year hiatus.
    There have been a LOT of changes in that time.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I took a 2 year break from 2008-2011, then a 4 year break from 2013-2017.

In 2017, I started playing again.

Still having fun through 2020 and beyond. :)
  13. Incantatrice New Member

So not a single person actually answered the Original Poster´s question. The question is basically how long do you go inbetween gaming sessions where you’re still actively playing the game (not on a break), but just electing to do other things rather than log on.

For me, there was a period where I logged in only once over the course of nearly 2 months. Was frustrated by repetitive raid losses and decided to put more time in to work. After the 2 months passed I started logging in daily again. Two months is unusual for me though, usually I wouldn’t go even 48 hours without logging in and doing something.
  14. Pops Racer Olde Faht

Icantatrice, you are correct. My apologies to the OP.
    I'm mostly weekend player, so I rarely get to play Mon - Thurs. There have been a few weekends where real life has taken priority (as it should!), so I'd say the longest break is about 2 weeks.
  15. Celephane Augur

Meh, whatever. He wanted replies, he got them. Many don't choose not to play even though they could, there are other factors in play. If people had only done what you are saying, you wouldn't have even seen this thread, it would have been buried on page 2 already because of 3 replies
  16. Vumad Cape Wearer

I quit during HoT and came back during RoS. I had limited playtime because of school and such. I felt unaccomplished because I was spending too much time in EQ, yet felt unaccomplished in EQ because it took too long to find a group. I started playing Xbox because games like Call of Duty with quick in quick out match making were a lot more conducive to the amount of playtime I had (30-60 minutes).

It was pretty amazing the help I got from my guild when I came back during RoS. PLs, plat if I needed my spells. I 2-boxed most of EoK backflag and RoS key, but anytime I got the named to spawn someone always came immediately to help.

Now with a 3-box (ENC, CLR, MAG) and mercs (WAR, ROG, ROG/CLR) and campfires I am having a much easier time with short play sessions. I log out at my camp, log in, drop campfire, gate to raid, campfire back, log out, log in mid day, get some XP/hunter for 30-60 minutes, log out. EQ is much more supportive of short sessions with a 3-box and some modern quality of life things like campfires.
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

To be fair, the question wasn't formed clearly.

4 days is the longest break I have had.
  18. ptah Augur

Adding on, my breaks never uninstalled EQ or anything. Maybe a few times I sat at PC, about to log in and just didnt. For me, its simple are you in? Or are you out?
    Yes its very odd to reflect on invested time spent, or odd public chats in pub talking about hobbies and I bring up EQ and I am alone.
    To redirect, eq was social game that I looked forward to both gaming, and visiting with others. When I would log in, it was an escape to adventure, share topic spec jokes, and work as a team.
    Play sessions was crazy, ie logging in before getting out of bed, bio break waiting for loading or zoning. Upgrading to shopping when patch hit. Ya it crazy, I miss it. And explaining to non EQ what EQ was like lol.
  19. Tegila Augur

i was both irritatede and moving at thet ime CotF launched and when ti was all said and done, i didnt have usable internet until a little less than 2 weeks ago. i came back briefly during RoS by squeaking out 4g tethering on my phone in one corner of 1 room that had signal but it wasnt great. now we have FiOS and im not going anywhere lol

as for the whole "answer the OPs question" thing..other htan work, when i have been actively playing i have never not logged in and done something be it just chat or tradeskills at least in any 24hr period, ever even with work etc always at least something in a given 24hr period minus teh 24+ hr travel when i moved to guam, and the same when i moved back from guam, or from florida back to ny- all such journeys taking 24+ hrs when i absolutely couldnt log in, when i could. work or rl stuff obviously is a different thing, like most of the last 2 days i ws able to late at night and briefly here and there today while i deal with some rl bs, but im not even logging out, never did much logging out bc it takes too long to log everything back in and get situated, so either one of my toons is on, or im out out for long periods (cotf to ros, ros to now)
  20. UgeneCarefulAxe New Member

I didn't log in for three years at about the time that Veil of Alaris launched. Never retired or quit--just got busy in RL and never got on-line.