Achievements Ruined the Spirt of the Game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KrakenReality, Oct 26, 2020.

1. minimind The Village Idiot

I ignore the vast majority of the achievements and, instead, use them as progression trackers. I have a guildie, on the other hand, who has gremlins in his brain that force him to check every box. He hates when new achievements are add... but them loves to scratch the itch as well.
  2. minimind The Village Idiot

Black licorice. I love it. I hoover up everyone's black licorice jelly beans and everyone's happy.
    Duder likes this.
  3. Duder Augur

I love it too =P It was an analogy. The majority of people dislike it, but then there are the few who like it. Though I'm more thinking Kraken's ideas are like the messed up flavors from the Harry Potter jelly bean packs.

[IMG]
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

No. I prefer to earn my own way and keep track of it using the Achievement Window.
    Herodotus likes this.
  5. Herodotus Augur

And you don't feel harassed and harried and upset over it? How utterly rational you are. :)
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  6. KrakenReality Augur

Poorly implemented because there’s no in-game mention or motivation natively to the world. As a RPG, it fails that mark. At least, have a couple NPCs mention they like to track down the rare powerful. Some sort of guild of bounty hunters. The mission NPCs should have dialog for the various feats. Collections should have at least some sort of lore NPC reason behind gathering all this junk.

I really don’t understand why you would question my experience with EQ? If, you can’t imagine a game with creative implementation of the tasks outside of a spreadsheet window then I find that disappointing. Maybe, it’s time you play some actual RPGs there’s been some incredible games launched the last 5 years.
  7. Captain Video Augur

Just out of curiosity... name one of these "incredible" RPGs of the last five years that doesn't have achievements.
  8. KrakenReality Augur

The achievements don’t bother me relying on the achievements as the only way to present the content is bad and non-immersive.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I recently moloed TDS on my wizard, and wanted to do all the achievements too(I wanted the hero-AA's). Since I didn't plan on repeating the missions, I did the challenges on first playthrough. The "time-trial" challenges did actually ruin my enjoyment of the missions, as I didn't have time to read through all the dialogue and lore(Im not a fast reader, and there was a lot of dialogue).

I know, I can just read through it afterwards, but the dialogue was synced to scripted NPC-behavior. And the time-trials made me lose that aspect of the story-telling.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  10. Duder Augur

Your assessment of the implementation is fair. I asked because just stating that it's poorly implemented doesn't say why.

I question your experience because keeping track of your progress over many years, many zones, and many quests via loremasters or specific npcs would be illogically cumbersome and overwhelming. So I wonder if you are a returning player playing on TLP and have not spent time in many expansions. I understand what you're saying about the checklist aspect but the idea of using loremaster npcs to track 20 years of content would make EQ far clunkier than it already is. The achievements system was probably the biggest and best quality of life improvement to EQ.
    Ssdar, Nennius, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

You didn't answer his question and I think he misunderstood some of what you were saying. The achievement system was an add-on and isn't entirely integrated into the game lore and speech from NPC's. It would certainly be more immersive if the NPC's you interact with were to at least mention these achievements, even if only in passing. Given the huge amount of time it would take to make that happen makes it unlikely at best.

If we're voting on things, I have to say that it doesn't really bug me at all since I have found I can easily take it or leave it.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  12. Verily Tjark Augur

Maybe I can help...

[IMG]
    Yinla, Nennius and Duder like this.
  13. Celephane Augur

Ouch, I hurt myself laughing
    Nennius and Duder like this.
  14. KrakenReality Augur

What even is this meme? Nothing worse than the guy that doesn’t understand how to use memes. At least the jelly bean stuff is hilarious, props to Duder.
    Duder likes this.
  15. Verily Tjark Augur

I'm sorry I disappointed you
  16. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I get that you don't understand something, but its something else entirely.

This is a game that was developed starting in 1996, released in 1999, and is based on dungeons and dragons and MUD games. It IS all about spreadsheets. It functions exactly how it is intended.

If YOU feel like you don't like the way this game is, then its incumbent on YOU to move on, not the game to fundamentally change (particularly over how your morphed ridiculous argument has become no more than "there should be an NPC mentioning it") or players around you having to change to accept this ONE game to become like all the other "actual RPGs", in your words, that have come out recently.

Go play those games and leave ours alone.
    Celephane likes this.
  17. KrakenReality Augur

You’re not a strong reader, huh?
  18. KrakenReality Augur

"You're in our world now." Remember that line? Creating a quick in-game narrative to marry the out of character aspect of the achievement window to the in-game world is the whole basis of the thread.

So, much of the modern game is designed around completing the individual items on the achievement window without hinting towards the experiences of the character. How does my character know all the different nameds in an expansion and specifically there zone locations? How do I know the story arc?

World building is the fun part of the game development or being a DM. For example, Winterchill in Eastern Wastes is a named dire wolf. Why does that wolf have a name? It's quick few lines of text to mention the dangerous creatures that could be encountered, while crossing the wastelands of the Velious tundra. It must be formidable to the dwarve, giant, and orc inhabitants to have received a name.

PS: I didn't bother to list off titles, because it would divert the thread into a debate of Steam/PS/XBOX achievements versus EQ achievement window.
  19. Captain Video Augur

No. The whole basis of this thread is you wanting to play a completely different game than what EQ is, and demanding that the game be completely redesigned to suit your personal whim. There is way too much of this nonsensical attitude showing up on the forums now. Take the hint offered by me and several others, and find yourself a game that suits your tastes better.
  20. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Through the real player. Use its imagination.

Maybe your character is plugged into some computer simulated reality to keep it alive and happy until it is harvested for energy by its machine overlords but somehow it has become aware and now seeks to expose and shut down that simulation by slaughtering every powerful being as proof of...something. Or you could imagine something all your own other than what I totally just made up, right now.

I get what you are saying...you want game developers more involved in that role play. But they are limited resources and this whole thing is a business first. That leads down the road of having to make hard choices between what they want to do and what they have to do.

The RP in MMORPG gets less and less attention when push comes to shove to get product out the door that generates revenue. Your call for more/better RP is just being met with reality, which can suck. I REALLY want to see some LARP that uses real weapons but the reality of that is not feasible.
    Sissruukk likes this.