Another feature request! Older expansion currency -> Heirloom?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by OlavSkullcrusher, Oct 25, 2020.

1. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Players have talked about various ideas for what to do with older expansion currency, especially raid currency, on Live servers. For me, what would make the most sense is for group currency to be made heirloom from older expansions. Mainly, Call of the Foresaken's Marks of Valor.

I single that expansion out because it is like The Broken Mirror in that it offered items for the whole range of character levels that could do the level-scaled HAs, and TBM's currency was actually completely tradeable. (Remnants of Tranquility)

As someone that has leveled many, many alts up through those HAs, I can tell you (if you don't already know) that by the time a newly lvl 75 character has done enough HAs to be able to buy 3 or 4 items from the CotF lvl 75 vendor, that character is now lvl 80. Basically, no one is going to be spending Marks of Valor on much of anything, saving the Marks until lvl 90+ to buy those augs that are still decent at and after lvl 100. They will find other ways of getting regular gear (like the aforementioned Remnants of Tranquility for those with higher level characters that can earn them or buy them in bulk). I, for one, would love it if I could give all of my excess Marks to my alts so that they could get some of that CofF vendor gear that otherwise just sits there. Let those vendors finally sell some of their stuff besides augs!
    cadres, Braikkarrii, Zandy and 4 others like this.
  2. SirNaves New Member

I like this 1000x

Encourage me to keep rolling alts on my account Daybreak!!! Make me buy character slots on my favorite server. I'll still be crushing Gribbles and Daily HA on my new alt, feeding the cycle
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  3. Zamiam Augur

If I am not mistaken TBM gear is lvl 75 also and the Rem's are tradeable ... so why not just pass the Rems down to your alts and get them TBM lvl 75 gear ? then just upgrade them every 5 or 10 lvls ..
    also in case you didnt know the Augs you buy from the rems can be sold back to the vender for most of your rems back ..
    I usually do not even bother with Marks anymore .. I still do gribbles but I dont buy anything cause as you said takes way to long for a toon to get enough marks for anything till they are higher ..

you do have to do the 3 pre-quests before you can buy the gear though .. that sux .. but usually not to bad the first 2 quests are easy the last one can be trouble if dont have enough peeps or if you can get a high lvl toon or 2 to help assist..
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The issue is not how to get the RoTs to alts, the issue is what to do with the 10s of 1000s (at least) of MoVs which accumulate from doing the daily bonus CotF HAs from Clayton Teek. The MoVs are not heirloom or tradable, so they gather on a toon, once they have what they need, and then just sit there.

You CAN buy the latent ether pieces for the 8 visible slots, and those are tradable, but there are still tons which gather and are wasted.

Either make them HEIRLOOM, or make them tradable to newer currency, charging a reasonable vig for the privilege. Or just plain make 'em tradable ;). I don't raid, so not offering an opinion on raid currency, but for group currency, I think it makes a lot of sense.
    Aanuvane and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Zamiam Augur

There is no reason to make them tradeable or Heirloom .. if your doing CoTF HA's over and over again for alts thats a personal problem ..
    either keep buying the latent ether gear and give to your alts or sell them or destroy the MoV you dont use .. there is other expansion gear out there that can and does replace CoTF gear easily enough and those currency is trade-able ..
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I am for this idea.

I've already earned the currency. Why can't I pass it down to my 'kids'? :D
    Elyssanda likes this.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I'm not doing them for alts. I did them when I was leveling through, just did the one for the daily bonus from Clayton Teek. I'm not talking weeks grinding Gribbles. Just 4-5 CotF HAs a week, over time, adds up to a metric &*^$ ton of MoVs.

For those who did them when they were current, and actually ground AA's through them, they must have hundreds of thousands of them.
  8. Zamiam Augur

I think as someone mentioned you can buy the gear and use as tribute ? maybe .. also you can just buy gear and give the crap away ..

I stand by my original post it does not need to be trade-able currency , however they could add it to the list of currency's for housing so we can pay for the upkeep and or cost of houses and items ..
    Aanuvane and Raccoo like this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Just add them to the list of currencies you can pay for you housing escrow
    Nniki likes this.
  10. Fian Augur

I am all for having group and raid currency flagged to heirloom, but keep in mind that if you don't run the raids/quests, often the currency is worthless on your alt.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

My solution is that every era currency should allow the purchase of a weak (low cost) and a strong (high cost) power source. Currency should come from all quests and missions during the expansion. Can a clicky that has a stacks with everything buff. Both a weak and a strong version.

But... on topic...
    I concur. Make currency heirloom tied to the same expansion as autogrant.
    I concur. Make all currency for housing.
    I concur. Make currency tradable tied to the same expansion as autogrant.
    Plenty of players accumulate far more currency than they need while IN ERA.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

With many raid currencies, you can't buy items unless you complete the related raid at least once. That would need to be addressed if this is done.
  13. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I have done this with many previous alts. You do get some better hps/mana/end and heroic stats out of the end results compared to what came before, but it had issues. The first problem is that it is very time consuming to switch out all of those type 9 (armor), type 6 (weapons), and type 5 augs. The second problem that adds to the time and annoyance is that some of the type 9 augs aren't consistent between levels in how some of the stats line up, so you can't just figure out what combination of augs you want at lvl 75 and then stick with that each 5 levels to make it go faster.

There also aren't any type 4 or type 7 augs to buy from TBM vendors, nor do any of the base items have the Item AA clickies. Nor is there much in the way of variety of weapons. 1HB only for priests and casters, etc.

The system was interesting, in a way, but it seems to have been rushed and/or not quality checked well. (Where has that happened before in EQ? :p)
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Tradable wasn't the only option I mentioned. Heirloom, and convertable to newer currency for a fee were two other options.

And YES by all means add them to the list of currencies accepted for housing.

My point was, we need SOMETHING to do with them.

Oh yeah, you mentioned tribute. Have tons of that already, and as a soloer/moloer, nothing to really spend it on. So that's useless as well.
  15. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I never pay that much attention to housing costs, since the costs seem so low. Which is why having 10's of thousands of MoV would allow to pay for how many decades of housing costs if I could use them for that? o_O I don't bother having a house for each character, using the vaults of my mains for storage for everyone if needed. I think they have enough Chronobines from having done the full Oceangreen series to last for the next 10 years.
  16. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I haven't actually checked to see if the items can be tributed. That is an idea of what to do with tons of extra MoVs, if they can, true. But the items are no trade, so you can't give them to anyone.
  17. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Latent ether is required 100, so that does nothing for lvl 75-99 characters.
  18. Zamiam Augur

and thats why their is Defiant gear up to lvl 75+ also some of the gear from HH zones you can find in baz that is around that lvl ..

HoT gear T1 lvl 80 - 85 is easily available .. or TBM gear again (remnants of traq)
    VoA gear T1 lvl 87 - 92 is also easily avail cheap in baz or can hunt named in the T1 zones
    RoF gear T1 lvl 95 - 99 also readily avail cheap in baz .
    CoTF gear t1 lvl 100+ also easily avail and cheap ..

I know this cause I help peeps all the time and throw a bunch of that crap in guild bank and also parcel it to newbs .. If i see someone in general asking for HoT abtruse gear I make it for them at a cost to me cause the container and the solvent are 2k pp each piece not to mention the silk or plate template to combine it with (which i make with my GM Tailor or smith)

there are peeps out there who like to help others .. join a guild .. doesnt have to be a raiding guild .. I do not raid and I'm in a nice casual guild (they raid alittle) but i do not .. and I help as much as i can ..

I play on Bertox .. if you need help (and im avail) and can, I will help you .. send me a PM on this forum with a time and date that is good for you and will see what we can do .. I will tell you this, I will not PL you from 1-115 :p
    I can invite you into a friendly casual guild .. help you with some gear , buffs maybe even a lil pp .. the rest is up to you .. this is a social game .. be social .. I work alot and play late at night.

enjoy !! and hope to hear from you
  19. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I appreciate the advice and offer of help, but I know that there are these options and have plenty of plat for it. My server, EMarr, is getting to be fairly low population other than boxers, like myself, and the bazaar is pretty thin on gear below level 100. It can be difficult to find even that much defiant sometimes.

Mainly, I don't see how this would take a dev very long to do. (Changing one item, the Mark of Valor that you get when you 'create' them from the currency tab, to Heirloom). I see it as a positive change with no significant downside. And while expansions prior to CotF certainly do have their own options for gearing up between lvl 75 and 95, CotF has content for those levels. So why not make the currency for it similar to the currency for TBM so that alts in that level range can make more effective use of that content?
  20. Paladin Augur

I would prefer group currency go 100% tradeable.

Here is why... the currency is not useable for everything a vendor has until you unlock the vendor fully, vis progression / tasks / missions. These vendors have their offering locked behind flagging, after all.

Many players have little to no need of such currency and / or have it in excess.

So... why isn't it just flat out tradeable, or sellable, to start with?

Some of the older group coin is.

In short, the only thing making it tradeable will change, is someone having enough coin to buy things they can currently see on the vendor, and want.

As for Raid currency, the same thing applies really, so... why not make it tradeable also -- or at least make it tradeable 3 expansions later?