Achievements Ruined the Spirt of the Game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KrakenReality, Oct 26, 2020.

1. KrakenReality Augur

Who has their clipboard ready to "X" the boxes?

Sh*t typo'd the title. /facepalm
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

As opposed to making my own spreadsheet, having a binder, and keeping track that way?

I feel achievements ENHANCE the spirit of the game, foster cooperative gameplay, and provide further enjoyment of a game that's been running for nearly 22 YEARS.

I happen to like achievements. A lot.
    Axxius, Paladin, Zunnoab and 6 others like this.
  3. KrakenReality Augur

It's different. You make your spreadsheet on your own and define your experience. In this case of achievements, the game is presenting you a defined list of the content in the game. It wouldn't be so bad, if they weren't so intricately woven into the expansion design.

Right, now it sucks and ruins the game. Imagine your DM sent around a checklist before your game night.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Achievements are just a part of gaming culture now and for the past decade on all platforms, it's never going away. I find them satisfying. You can choose to ignore them if you wish.
    code-zero, Duder and Bardy McFly like this.
  5. KrakenReality Augur

Except you can't ignore them in EQ...
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  6. Bardy McFly Augur

I used to really love cheevos on Xbox and PS. I was a game completionist and thus achievement list helped me make sure so did everything. It was also satisfying to get some of the rarer achievements (flaming helm back in the day in Halo 3 for example). They were also a lot of fun in WoW (I know, I know). I don't mind seeing them in this game at all. They're not so much for me anymore right now, but I might start doing them eventually in some downtime or for a change of place. As others have said, they're there if you want to do them, but if they aren't your thing then it's just as easy to pretend they aren't there and play the game instead how you would rather enjoy it. Options are a good thing to have in a game.
  7. Zamiam Augur

umm yes you can ..

Options >chat>Achievements <show> change to <hide> or <mine only>
  8. KrakenReality Augur

Not what I'm referring to...
  9. Zamiam Augur

how are they a content blocker in ToV ? you can choose to do them or choose not to .. you can grind to lvl 115 or you can do progression .. there is no content blocker afaik .. do you get more xp for progression tasks (yes) are you forced to do progression (No) ..

somehow Kraken had a reply about content being blocked in ToV via Achievements , and when I replied to that post I ended up with this post reply instead .. not sure how ..
  10. KrakenReality Augur

Tell me how you get the damage aug, weapon proc augs, Earring of Rallos...
  11. Zamiam Augur

so then what are you referring to..? content being blocked via Achievements ? read post above
  12. Captain Video Augur

A quick check tells me I currently have 3,156 achievements on Steam, and I've 100%'ed 23 games. That's not really a lot, since I steadfastly avoid all of Steam's "achievement farm" games that can give you 500-1000 in an hour or two. I could, however, come close to doubling my number if they would just PUT EQ ACHIEVEMENTS ON STEAM!
  13. Zamiam Augur

do you just want DPG to give you the items and not have to work for it .. the earring is a evolving item that with any evolving item it takes effort to get and effort to evolve ..

and as far as the augs they are not necessary to level up to 115 in tov .. I do not know what weapon augs you speak of but im guessing they are tied to completing some /ach arc .. as the damage aug is tied to a hero's task ..

it doesn't take much to get the dmg aug ..

In TBL Jann's veil is tied behind doing /Ach hero's .. its a nice clicky to have but its not necessary
  14. Bigstomp Augur

I have many characters who have not done the achievements. They have augs and earrings. They may not have the specific earring I'd prefer them to have but they do have perfectly acceptable earrings.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You do the content.

The fact that you get an achievement as well, is superfluous.
  16. Annastasya Augur

i'm okay with hunter checklists, collectibles, exploration, putting on all the ornaments etc.

What bothers me are raid and mission "achievements" that mostly require you to defeat them in some wacky manner, with hands tied behind your back, with flawless execution from a full raid of humans, or generally by not playing your toon as it was intended.
    Raptorjesus5, Accipiter and Nadisia like this.
  17. Zamiam Augur

ok I just looked up the weapon aug velium infused gem of devastation .. which is a player made combinable item .. so you purchase said container put the 2 or 3 items needed to make said item and you get your aug and afaik all the items can be bought or dropped off a named mob ? yes prolly a rare drop but a drop none the less..
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I think achievements can ruin the game for people with severe OCD and completionism mindset. Simply because it is formatted to show what is missing. Otherwise, I’ve always liked the achievement rewards like TBL’s Jann’s Veil and Efreeti Flying Carpet.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Achivements make it easy to see if you miss stuff. Much better than the list i had of things to be done and the 30 page document to do BIC..

As for it being the only way to get things, so we're quests back in the day and back then it wasn't always clear what you had to do to get an item
    code-zero likes this.
  20. Duder Augur

I enjoy achievements but am not obsessed with having them all. It sounds to me like the OP's real beef is that they have to work to unlock certain items. Would you prefer they be a convoluted quest with no in-game way to track your progress toward a goal? Or would you just ignore that quest too because it requires time, effort, teamwork, and execution?

When I help other people do things, I do so and TRY to get as many achievements with them as I can because I like seeing them gain progress on something they may want to do or devote time to later. It gives me satisfaction to help get them done for others when they aren't the objective. And when they are the objective there is absolutely a sense of accomplishment when completing an achievement. I don't think the OP has any clue what the "spirit" of EQ is. Enlighten us. Really, you made statement with no reasons why. This post couldn't be more vapid.
    Verily Tjark, Smokezz and Celephane like this.