Poison "buff"

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Sissruukk, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Sissruukk Rogue One

Hey everyone,
    I was approached with this question today:
    "Why when I use Warlord's Bane XX it shows up in the buff window as Warlord's Bane Poison XVI?"
    I didn't have an answer, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
  2. Mindra New Member

I can't get real specific for you, but the right direction is:

Every 10 or 5 lvls gives us an increase in poison level, these poisons have a name that is the poison type followed by the number starting with 1 and progressing incrementally to whatever the highest lvl one is.
    The poison gives a buff that has the same poison type name, but the number does not increase in the same increments due to the way the damage scales with the pc's level.

I have no idea what the damage scales are, but presumably this is a way that the devs tune the damage done as it scales up. I think I've seen much higher level potions or poison that revert back to a lower level effect, and the damage still increases because of the scale on the effect.
    Apologies if this is fuzzy, I'm not totally clear on the reasoning, but your observation is correct that the poison effect is usually not the same as the poison name.

That is all.

-Mindra Skylarker of the Iksarian Broods, Bertoxx.
  3. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

While all of the above is correct to my knowledge, it should still show the buff in the window as being 'Warlord's Bane' instead of giving the spell name. That's how mine always show up - tho I use Myrmidon's Sloth on the regular, rather than Warlord's Bane.
  4. Mindra New Member

Okay,

Winnowyl's reply got me curious, so I did a little sleuthing.
    My first statement was not entirely correct, it's something I just assumed a long time ago, someone may have erroneously told me as much, I don't remember.

A glance at a list of poisons and effects tells me: The poison (item) name indicates the usable level of the poison, not necessarily the tier relative to more trivial poisons.
    The relevance of this is obvious when we notice that some poisons, like Myrmidon's Sloth, Messenger's Bane, and all non-raid DD poisons among others, are usable at level 15, so the first tier of these poisons is ***** I.
    Warlord's Bane, on the other hand, isn't usable until level 30, which is the tier identified as ***** IV, so although the level 30 Warlord's Bane is the first available one, it's still called Warlord's Bane IV; there is not Warlord's Bane I - III. Fighter's, Archer's and Monk's all follow in a similar fashion.

The effects of the poisons, however, do all begin at ***** I, regardless of the usable level.
    So the first available Warlord's Bane (Warlord's Bane IV) has an effect of Warlord's Bane I; then there's Warlord's Bane V, which will have an effect of Warlord's Bane II, and so on.
    Now: true to my initial response, both Warlord's Bane XV an XVI have an effect of Warlord's Bane XII, making it a four number difference instead of three, thus the resulting Warlord's Bane XX/XVI.

Other poisons will be offset similarly, while one's that are usable at level 15, like Myrmidon's Sloth will have a synced item and spell name all the way up, if they don't also have a version which repeats the previous tier's spell effect.

Hopefully that's less fuzzy for you, I had a good time.
    That is all.

Mindra Skylarker of the Iksarian Broods, Bertoxx.
  5. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

And after reading YOUR post, I got curious as well. You are correct in the math etc, but I *mistakenly* thought that the buff it gave reflected the poison level, rather than the actual poison level. IE, if you clicked Myrmidon's Sloth XIX, it would show that in the buff window. You are correct, it does not. I just clicked to be sure, and it's showing Myrmidon's Sloth XIV.

So, I stand corrected. =)
  6. Sissruukk Rogue One

Do you use Myrmidon's Sloth XIX? I noticed that there was no recipe (at least one that follows the convention of materials for the other XX utility poisons) for Myrmidon's Sloth XX.
  7. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I'm using XIX right now. Ngreth just put in a new recipe not too long ago to use the velium laced mats. Makes the same poison, but this way we don't have to go all the way back to farm the mats for it. Says Myrmidon's Sloth XIX (ToV) when you make it. He didn't want to make a more powerful slow. So it's the same as the other, just with the newer material.
    Sissruukk likes this.