FIX YOUR WEBSITE

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hekaton, Oct 22, 2020.

1. KrakenReality Augur

Thanks, can you forward the ticket up to your supervisor now? These forums are low grade, dog food.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Thanks for the comparators. But you're misled.

This is a Daybreakgames.com issue. Likely linked intrinsically to the DB migration that occurred earlier this year. With all the other deadlines and staff overturn, this is a low-priority issue as a workaround exists. It is on the 'To-Do' list. Just very, very far down.

Everyone, relax. Enjoy life. Slow loading times are NOT important.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. dreamweaver Community Manager

Well, either way. I am going to ask some people to look into it.
    Maedhros, Shanarias, Fenthen and 8 others like this.
  4. Tutankamen Augur

I've noticed seriously long loading times for forums too, actually. So it's not just him.
  5. Balthen Lorekeeper

I typically can get to forums quickly but also experience a fair amount of hung openings where I have to stop the page refresh and try again. It's been this way so long I'm just used to it, I'd guess most people assume it's the "new normal" and move on. It's pretty ironic that it happened trying to open this thread that made me LOL for realz.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Irony IS the Human condition that binds us. :)
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

That is EXACTLY the same thing I experience: pages that just stop loading, forcing me to stop and refresh them. Doesn't happen on other websites...just Daybreak related pages.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

People come to this thread trying to help and some people respond by being dismissive and condescending.

I keep wondering: Why so much snide on the side?

<someone> here sure dislikes the idea it might be a DBG issue and gets nasty to anyone who says otherwise.

Go work for Blizzard already lol.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I have posted maybe 12? times this morning. I have clicked on roughly 25-30 threaads. Twice, only twice randomly, I experienced page hangs as described- Page load starts,blank white page w/ forum border, I can let it sit an hour, no change, stop loading page, relaod page, it hangs on the teal background and never advances. a third page load works. If it were slow internt or a port denial or anything like that, it wouldn't be loading the frames, nor the teal background, nor would it be a consistent pattern of white / teal / works ok. It seems a rather specific point in the page load is faulting somehow.

Having had this experience with EQ Forums, one time when my account page behaved the same and randomly hung, I tried the same thing and it worked..

This forum hanging like that has happened for at LEAST 2 years and it has happened fairly regularly, regardless of what machine, or ISP or even COUNTRY we accessed it from.

Wife has the same issue, so does son.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

The loading times aren't a priority, but the answer of "It's not a DBG issue, it's you guys", and " I'll argue with anyone who disagrees.", should be.
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea this website is either normal speed or very slow and its not on my end i get to any other website and its instant but here can be slower than dialup kinda annoying. figured they were trying to get people off the forums!

Andarriel
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Nah its on dbg side! Let me guess your a raider and dont want there attention on something else?

Andarriel
  13. phattoni Augur

90% of the time for the last 6 months, i havent been able to open forums reliably.

i click on forums and it either loads or sits there for 5+ mins "loading".

definitely not on my end, every other website works perfectly.

something is wrong with their website and forums.
  14. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Aye, we all seemed to know it's on DBGs end, but one person <strongly> disagrees and will argue it's all of us. If we tell them why it ISN'T us, they get all snarky and condescending, yet tries to speak as if they were an employee of DBG and how they and their peers tested it so it must be on us.

Ether way, I'm mildly confused why a raider would have a vested interest in whether or not the forum pages loaded reliably. Perhaps the context of the entire thread might help this.
  15. dreamweaver Community Manager

The devs that work on the game and the devs that work on the website are not the same, the two things are unrelated to each other in a development sense.
  16. dreamweaver Community Manager

In all actuality it's likely a combination of a couple different things, some people may see no issue at all, others may see a ton of issues, and others may end up falling somewhere in the middle. Obviously once I get people to look into it I'll have a much better idea, but in my experience it's usually spread fairly evenly across the board.
  17. Captain Video Augur

If I may make a technical observation:

DNS resolution times may be a factor. That performance can quickly swing 10-20x in either direction based on how congested the circuit is to/from DBG's servers. It can cause significant short-term variations in in-game lag, so I suspect it can also affect forum page load. It doesn't help that there are so many custom sigs and photo/video clip attachments to forum posts here, because that means more DNS lookups. Plus if the bottleneck is server-side, it doesn't matter how many of those pieces are on the page you're trying to read, it's what everyone else is trying to read at the same time. What this forum software is missing, that many other sites have, is a counter of how many separate IDs are actually logged in at one time, and on a per-forum basis. That might be insightful. If it is a DNS issue, people outside the US will see it a lot worse than those who live in San Diego or Las Vegas.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I would guess it has that ability but that information is not shown to us. Just like the count of how many logged into each server used to be shown to us and now is just, "Low", "Medium", or "High".
  19. dreamweaver Community Manager

Interesting, I don't see anything that would stop you from seeing that. It's definitely there and there aren't any specific permissions related to it so it must be something on the backend framework.
  20. dreamweaver Community Manager

quoting myself because I don't feel like editing, but it is also an older forum software.