FIX YOUR WEBSITE

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hekaton, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Bardy McFly Augur

The forums are very hit and miss for me recently (maybe the past 3-4 weeks). Ironically, I never had issues until a day or two after I read someone else posting they were having performance issues and I figured it was just them. Some days it is lightning fast and others it can take 30-40 seconds for a single pagination. The main site is fine, other sites are fine. The performance issues are isolated to the forums and span across multiple devices and even attempts between WiFi and cellular. Tonight it seems fine but a couple nights ago was definitely molasses.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

I cant find a version reference for XenForo but its jQuery 1.5.2 and old XenForo, so yeah I'm not surprised. There's lots of parts about this being mismanaged. The favico was static set http for the longest time. The embedded canonical link is listed http.

Also some of that score stuff could be coming from hot-linked items which can't really be controlled by their server. Any sigs or attached images would score bad.

/*
    * XenForo xenforo.min.js
    * Copyright 2010-2012 XenForo Ltd.
    * Released under the XenForo License Agreement: http://xenforo.com/license-agreement
    */
  3. Zynt Augur

I really like the interface with Palemoon. I don't use it very often, mainly because I'm stuck on Firefox, but I'm slowly moving to Palemoon only.
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I've had this issue for like 2 years now.

Open forum, browse, see thread, click hyperlink and

Blank white page and hang.

Stop pageload.

Reload page.

Teal blue solid color background only.

Stop loading / reload, finally loads the thread.

EQ Forum is the ONLY thing on the entire web that behaves this way.

For YEARS now.

/Sebastian Vettle voice "Seriously now. What are we doing here? Playing ping-pong?"
    Fenthen and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It's not cache, it's not browser, it's the forum.

Any machine I've used (at this point it's in triple digits how many different devices it's been)

Any OS

Any browser.

FF / Chrome, etc.

With or without blockers, like Ublock, etc.

It's the forum (and account login / my account, etc does this too. It makes doing account and payment changes a pain in the.... ask me later.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This assurance is incorrect. I can go to Fry's Electronics and test it on 9 machines (and have done so)

I can test it on 15 or more office machines, some with different browsers / OS, it still happens.

Did I meantion the ONLY websites on the entire web, in 2_ years that do this are here?

But yeah, it's definitely us.

/eyeroll.
  7. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Brand new, out of the box PC?

Yup.

This PC, 7+ years old, before and after reformats and OS / Browser changes?

Yup.

the wife's PC we brought home from her office, setup by company admin?

Yup.

Clearing cache is NOT the issue.
  8. Diptera Augur

On the other side, I access the forums from three different computers, plus my mobile, and don't have any problems at all. /shrug
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  9. Nadisia Augur

Yeah, definitely not on our end.

We do have a lot of devices at home, with different OS (different PCs for gaming, or work, with Windows or Linux, a Mac , multiple Rasps, phones and tablets under IOS or android) and there is one constant : EQ forum is lagging on everything :p

So yeah, DPG please :

[IMG]

ok ...*squeek squeek squeek*

[IMG]

:D
    Fenthen and Bardy McFly like this.
  10. KermittheFroglok Augur

1) I'm offering troubleshoot tips, no need to get aggressive and you're misusing the term "assurance"
    Assurance would be a positive declaration, I am doing the opposite as I am providing contrary evidence to the OP's claim that its a DBG issue. The threshold to disprove is usually lower than that to prove.

2) I tested the forums on multiple machines, multiple platforms, asked my guild too. No one is having or can replicate the issue or experienced it in the past month. Saying you "can" test the issue at a retailer that's generally been closed from the OP's post to yours really isn't helpful.

3) The common denominator here is still your system, network & or Internet Provider. Again, most of the community doesn't have this issue. This is supported by the relatively low number of forum posts about it.
  11. Vanrau Augur

The problem is they probably went with the cheap cloud package that doesn't scale for their web infrastructure unless it comes to the purchasing/account system. Same goes with their game servers. They switched to vm's to pack multiple servers onto one piece of hardware and the hardware for some servers is maxed out on what it can handle.
    Fenthen likes this.
  12. KermittheFroglok Augur

I want to add to Fanra's testing post. Comparative performance supports that it's not a DBG issue because it's loading faster or better than Blizzard's forums & other discussion sites like reddit.

https://gtmetrix.com/compare/JyfelZVG/Bwco7bUd/85i0PWl4

Load times
    Blizzard Forums: 8.8 seconds
    EverQuest Forums: 3.8 seconds
    EQ Reddit: 21.2 seconds

PageSpeed Grades
    Blizzard Forums: 73%
    Everquest Forums: 72%
    EQ Reddit: 30%

Fanra's discussion is interesting but the YSlow grades and optimizations analysis really are irrelevant to actual performance metrics/benchmarks because we're comparing forum discussion pages and not pages that emphasize multimedia. DBG forums miss many optimization because simply put, they are older and it's not as worthwhile to optimize the forums because they're forums.

I understand it feels better to blame the page owner for an issue accessing a page you like, but in this case it's not likely to yield much for you. I still suspect its not a DGB issue, at least not one better remedied on their side.
  13. Vanrau Augur

This is a issue on Daybreak's network. I have tested this on my home network and my cell phones and computers at work. At peak hours, the site sometimes takes up to 30 seconds to load. The default timeout on a sql query is usually 35 seconds so either some queries are getting hung and it waits for the timeout or their web server is overloaded with traffic.
    Fenthen and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  14. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

umm 1) no. I can fly to my office in NY (I'm in AZ now) and it happens. Zero common denominator (other than the obvious, which you casually disregard, of... this website. 2) calling simple statements you disagree with as "Agressive" is the use of rhetoric, which is not a return argument, but a statement designed to engender a feeling toward someone or something, i.e, a microagression.

Nothing i said earlier was "aggressive" toward you, you just made that up.

Why?

What's your personal stake in arguing against the obvious?

I have no personal stake in this, I'm just telling my specific experiences. This has been an issue with EQ Forum and account webs for literally years.

Just like every weekend people in game asking why they can't buy Krono or acces the store.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens enough that there are people asking, every weekend.

It must be them too.
    Fenthen and Nadisia like this.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It's illogical to argue that an error cannot be an error if it doesn't happen to all users.
    Maedhros and Bardy McFly like this.
  16. Nadisia Augur

Just to add :
    • It lags from where we do live (North Spain, catalunya, not far from Barcelona)
    • It lags from my parent's house (France)
    • Last summer during our holidays, forum was lagging from Ireland (Galway)
    • 2 week ago, it was slow loading too from Firenze (aka. Florence, Italy)
    So, I don't know :)
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

Sometimes I just open another tab and browse something else until eq forums decide to respond.

edit: Its not all the time though. Right this moment its working fine. I usually notice it first thing in the morning after I login to forums, but sometimes at other times as well.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I am not seeing any relation to peak usage times. It has happened all times of the day and night. None more often than others.

When it slogs down on Firefox I switch to Opera and it loads fine. So I guess everyone that was slowing it down logged out during the one sec it took me to switch to Opera and that is why it runs better over there?;)

It also seems to happen less if I am already logged into the forums. If I am just cruising then I can get that lag.

I am in one location so it doesn't matter where you are really. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

EQ forums is the only site with this issue for me. If it were happening on any other site I would be troubleshooting on it but all other sites are fast.

Just cause everyone doesn't have the issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Anyway rather than argue the point I went ahead and gave a "like" to the first post in hopes devs will see it.
  19. KermittheFroglok Augur

That's not even what I'm saying. I never said its not an "error", I'm not even denying there aren't optimization opportunities, I'm questioning where you and others are attributing it.

Again lashing out at me and "responding" to things I didn't say won't solve your problem. My point is my tests, what my peers have checked, and even third parties like GTmetrix aren't showing a consistent issue or "broken" level of performance compared to other sites.

It is reasonable to argue that it's possibly user side issue if relatively few users are impacted.

Good luck, hopefully it gets fixed.
  20. The real Sandaormo Augur

Whew, you found the forums. Now relax, bookmark the page and the biggest crisis in 2020 is over for you.