Monthly subscription fee

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Zolos, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Zolos New Member

Im just looking for some feedback from others that pay the monthly subscription fee ($14.99/month). I have 3 accounts that i play and all 3 are subbed, so i get charged $14.99/month 3 times every month. However this month i was charged $14.99 for 2 accounts and $16.45 for 1 of them. After i did some digging on my accounts i noticed 1 of them was charged taxes, the other 2 were not. I dont think i have ever been charged taxes for my sub, for any game i have been subbed to, ever. Im curious if other always pay the $16.45 and for some reason i havent been charged taxes all these years, or if its a mistake. Thanks for any clarification
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its the new internet tax.

And I am charged almost that much, but yes I am charged taxes. How much depends on what state you are in .

The other 2 will soon follow. IIRC one of mine started and a couple of the others didn't for a few months. I dunno if its the state or the game cause the states have staggered start dates on the internet taxes.
  3. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

This new tax is garbage. Most of these MMO's are not worth $14.99 any more ... now we have to pay $17-$20 a month for them depending on your state and country. Not worth it. All I see happening is people stopping subs over this. And Daybreak will never lower the monthly sub to ease the cost to the consumer. So everyone loses.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

You guys are really bawling over 3 bucks a month more? LOL its still the cheapest form of entertainment you can buy for a month. Or you can Bite it and pay the once a year price and save some to make up for it.
    Qelil, Owl56 and minimind like this.
  5. KermittheFroglok Augur

You're the first person I've heard of to claim to know someone dropping a sub over this. Most people I know don't care and aren't changing anything because its not a DBG issue, its a tax issue, impacts other similar services too. As Flatchy said, anyone really bothered that regularly plays should just up their subscription length to mitigate the cost.

We should be happy our subscriptions haven't gone up except for the 2 year tier getting dropped. They've been about $15 a month for over 15 years, and now we get DBC and other games included! In fact the subscription bundle tiers still offered have gotten cheaper. Ignoring those that had the two year plan, or just the monthly plan, most of us are paying less than what we paid 15 years ago. In fact we very briefly had the Lifetime option which likely appealed to to same people that would by 2 year so they're probably better off too (if they are around for the Lifetime promo).

The amounts below are USD.
    2005 2020 Change
    1 Mo. 14.99 14.99 -
    3 Mo. 41.97 38.97 (3.00)
    6 Mo. 77.94 71.94 (6.00)
    1 Yr 143.88 119.88 (24.00)
    2 Yr* 199.95 239.76 39.81

*For 2020 used 1 year plan * 2 because two year isn't offered anymore.

2005 Rates:
    https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-50010#:~:text=President John Smedley.-,Due to the increased costs of running the EverQuest game,our subscription rates in June.&text=The new price for a,subscription will now be $143.88.
    Current Rates:
    https://www.daybreakgames.com/allaccess

In short, the game has generally gotten cheaper over the years so taxes bumping it up really isn't that big a deal for most.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Serona Elder

Not to mention inflation alone would take $14.99 2005 dollars to $20/mo in 2020 dollars.
    Nolrog and Skuz like this.
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

Presumably the two accounts are using a card(s) from a state that hasn't implemented the tax yet. I use prepaid debit card for my annual $90 subscription, and if I choose the address (read: state) wisely, then I don't pay the tax either.
  8. Vizuni New Member

just wait till they tax your air too
    Tornat likes this.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

People don't complain about $3. They complain about a 20% increase.

If you mortgage/rent goes up $3 next month, you wont even notice, but if it goes up 20%, you might complain.
    Tornat likes this.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

And the main point is that it is NOT THE GAME OWNERS charging this....it is where you live.

But I would still like to know which states are "good" ones:D
    Nennius, Tornat, Vumad and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tornat Augur

This argument is def not true / outdated . EQ is def one of the most expensive video games out there.
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

I was comparing it to going out to clubs, being on a bowling league, movies, etc and it still does ring true.
    Qelil and Conq like this.
  13. Lymryk New Member

Or you bought the lifetime sub like some of us did.....;)
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I saw so much value from paying annually I have stuck to that the past 5 years, works out a lot cheaper.

And it's definitely good value for money if you weigh up how much time you spend in a game like this vs how much it costs, one trip to the cinema for me is only a bit less expensive than EQ for 1 character for a whole month and that movie only lasts an hour and a half to 3 hours max, while EQ I can game for 3+ hours a day.
    code-zero and Tegila like this.
  15. Tornat Augur

deleted my post nvm
  16. Tegila Augur

Ha. Ha. No. Because it doesn't have bonified p2w microtransactions, it's actually much cheaper than "free" games for the average user. There are many games out there that bc of the p2w model, if you don't spend a couple hundred a month you will lose everything you ever had in a matter if days. PC games are a dying breed, period. That's why Sony dumped SOE in the first place, the writing on the wall. Many many much simpler and more popular "free" games cost their players a lot more. You know there are people spending literal THOUSANDS a month on phone games?
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

There are people spending thousands per month on cocaine. There's still a lot of market left over for people who want to sell something that is not cocaine.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

End of the day what EverQuest offers is something different to most of what is on the game market, Mobile phone games are almost 99.9% about sucking your bank balance dry and the limited amount of fun injected into them is just to mask the fact all they want to do is bleed you out for every cent you own.

Cheap fast thrills and more "immediate gratification" games have their place, and while EQ is a veritable dinosaur and its developers are viewed by some analysts as grizzled industry veterans who are lacking in creativity and could not put together a "big hit" game in the here and now if they wanted to - they don't need to, this is what so many game industry managers, investors, analysts and commentators don't grasp is that games as a service which EverQuest falls into are a different beast.

Everyone else out there is making huge games that last days or weeks, almost none build games that last years let alone decades, they miss the point about looking after the community they serve, now SoE, and Daybreak haven't always done that either, but for longevity they are doing better than anyone else has so far and that's mostly been done ad lib and most of the credit falls to the players in fairness who are very devoted. But I think good things are coming for EQ and that the dev team do have a long term goal to see it grow & continue to buck the trend.

Most expensive game though? GTFOH.
    Grove likes this.
  19. Tegila Augur

Another reason o wish we could link our accounts: instead of paying for say a 3month subscription on each acct staggered for different months or whatever, it'd be great to pay the 3month fee but get 1 month for 3 accts, and so on. Instead of bulk time discount, a bulk account discount. I know I don't do the 3 and 6 month ones because of the hassle of staggering it out so as not to have every account hit the same month, whereas paying for all at once in this way would be great, more dependable(and it might encourage people to up another account from silver to gold to get the discount that way.) Say you had 2 gold and 1 silver, maybe being able to pay all at once each month with the savings might say well it's not that much more I'll just make this one gold too. Same with 4 or 5 gold and 1-2 silver going to all 6.

Same thing for DBC, but this is about subscription costs. I know I'd be more apt to buy more sc if I could put some on other accounts without either missing the bulk discount, or getting a different amount than I wanted. Would easily grab an extra 10000 DBC ever month if I could spread it out, whereas now I will only buy it for my main.
    Vumad likes this.
  20. Tornat Augur

This is just bonkers. and I wasn't really comparing to free to play games . just the fact games 10 years ago where like 60 bucks for 10 hour game , now there 60 or less 200-300 hours. I mean a lot of games are bigger than eq expansions these days. but each to there own. EQ has bonkers micro transaction just like any other game, buy to win is subjective.

im not saying EQ isn't worth its money its a great game if not one of the best . but its $200 bucks a year per account its def one of the more expensive video games out there. and the pc gaming industry made like 40 billion last year its going no where. but I will agree with you it is crazy how mobile gaming has taken off..