When might we expect the pre-patch CoV event to start?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SwordandShield, Oct 17, 2020.

1. SwordandShield Lorekeeper

I know previous expansions have had launch events.
  2. Riou EQResource

Probably never, they haven't done those in like 6 or 7 expansions or something
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I think the last prelaunch event was for Call of the Forsaken. You were able to get the 'Defender of Qeynos' and 'Flamewarder' titles.

It would be cool to see if the devs grant a title for logging in for the first few weeks of launch. The title could be 'Defender of Thurgadin', 'Conqueror of Kael Drakkel', 'Chieftain' (homage to the othmirs), or 'Disciple of Veeshan.'
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I brought this up at the Q & A they did back in March/April when they first went into lockdown, the answer was we are unlikely to see this kind of event again. :(
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Froglok Augur

There were also pre-expansion events for Alaris... basically building the blimp.

But, it appears staff is limited and we players would have to start spending a lot more $$ -- or have a lot more paying new / old players sign up -- in order to provide the cash flow needed to hire / contract more people.

What might be better is to delay expansions to every 18 months or 2 years, so they can have more time to build and develop bigger, more complete expansions like they did way back when.
  6. Riou EQResource

Do you want a limited time pre-launch event, or more actual content in an expansion :p
    Skuz and Bigstomp like this.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

Launch content vs real forever content. I'd rather pay for real forever content.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

They could just make it a login achievement with title grant (like old Membership illusion grants or Bristlebane Painting award). Limit it to the first month of launch to encourage folks to try out content. :)
    Skuz and Zamiam like this.
  9. Zamiam Augur

Even if they did get a huge increase in money , DPG would not reinvest it back into EQ with hiring anyone .. might get a TLP out of it but thats about it ..

they have always done that . any monies EQ makes just goes to other projects or in the pockets of the investors ..
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No pre-launch events, company doesn;t have resources to do them right any more, maybe in the future should EQ somehow gain a large increase of paying players & is able to grow the dev team substantially, for now even getting any expansions at all is the studio working flat out and even putting in a lot of extra hours, diverting from that would only water down the expansions we do get.

Not entirely true, as early as 2015 Holly Longdale was very keen to make EverQuest money go back into EverQuest, it was that drive which led up to the eventual splitting of Daybreak into 3 "themed" studios with Daybreak serving as publisher.

SoE did squander millions of everquest dollars on failed projects in the past though many of them were never publicly acknowledged and the vast majority of them ended up being a waste of money that never made it out of development, the only one I personally felt was a good project was Free Realms, my kid freaking loved that game and was heartbroken when it closed down.

Of course this game is run as a business, and it needs to make money for its investors, the money EQ makes has grown since 2015 as have player numbers & subscribers but now the money EQ makes not going to investors won't be supporting non-EQ franchise games or funding development of non-EQ franchise future titles should they be made.