Feature request

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by thatTwoGuy, Oct 18, 2020.

1. thatTwoGuy New Member

Can we please have a way to disable XP altogether?

Purpose:

I like playing in the same era of the game because it's fun for me. I don't care much for later content, so I like to stay within a certain range and mind my own business. At a certain point though... all of my silver and f2p accounts are forced into higher levels when I run into the AA cap. Having the ability to just... turn off xp would solve this problem and seems like it'd be easy to implement. Maybe this is a niche way to play the game but I know for sure that I'm not the only person who likes to lock our characters at any given level or level range.

Pretty please, sir, I don't want any more xp or levels.
  2. Captain Video Augur

3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I don't see any reason why this should not be an option.
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

Buy Glyph of Fireworks, expend, repeat.

Depending on level, get a necro to sac you for permanent exp loss if you accidentally run over into exp.
  5. Captain Video Augur

I don't know about any Glyph of Fireworks. i know about Glyph of Stored Experience, but that's a level 90+ thing (Glyph of Glowing Exp is a 100+ thing), so not much use to someone who wants to stay in old-school content.

There are innumerable ways to commit suicide in EQ if you want to permanently de-level. Personally I prefer drowning, it's quick and painless. If you're going to die repeatedly, you want to pick a spot where other players aren't likely to see your stack of corpses before they expire.

They won't even provide an option to decline the bonus XP when it's offered, so I wouldn't hold my breath for the "no XP at all" option, since it only matters to F2P players anyway.
  6. Soulbanshee Augur

Rank 1 25 AA, Rank 2 100 AA, it casts a fireworks effect. Its sole purpose is an AA dump because people didn't like having the message spam when you are max AA/max exp. So you expend the AA, buy a rank, and you can keep earning AA.
    Duder likes this.
  7. Nadisia Augur

Yeah, sure, there are many ways to lose XP, but a simple way to block your XP completely would be a better solution.
    An NPC, a small quest to toggle your XP on or off, etc.

Honestly I don't see why it couldn't be done.
  8. Duder Augur

Because it's completely unnecessary and adds more intricacy to a game that's already got a large level of detail. What Soulbanshee suggested is the option that already exists that the OP is asking for. I have had a level 52 Necro that I play regularly enough that I keep him 52 without sacrificing just by buying and spending fireworks glyphs. In fact, there are times that I need to turn regular exp back on so that he doesn't lose his level.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  9. Nadisia Augur

To dump AA into fireworks AA, you need to be able to gain AA XP.
    But for F2P and Silver accounts, once you are over cap, you can't gain more AAs.

And the XP is automatically reversed to the regular XP, even if you turn your AA XP to 100% (either with the AA Window buttons, or with /alt on 100).

In that case, you're forced to gain XP if you want to kill something that isn't grey.
    So the sacrifice or suicide is the only solution.
    Not really handy ...
  10. Celephane Augur

Put time/resources into a feature for those that don't even pay to play....hmmm, I vote no
  11. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Too much hassle for CS to support dummys who turn XP off accidently and can't figure it out.

But I'd like to suggest again 'ladder' servers, each one locked at a different expansion, and when you hit max level+group progression done you can get a free transfer to the next one. So someone or a whole guild guild can stay in whatever era they want as long as they want, without competition from people twice their level.
    Vumad likes this.
  12. Captain Video Augur

Just for the record: F2P/Silver players can't move the XP slider, they're stuck with 50% of each until their AA caps, which for F2P is a mere 250, and then it's all XP, No way is an F2P working in PoP-era content going to be able to purchase Fireworks AAs, never mind that it doesn't do what the free player is asking for. I'm not saying the OP's request is bad, but there is precedence for strong dev resistance based on prior discussions surrounding bonus XP itself being mandatory.
  13. Fenthen aka Rath

I had someone manually sign every Microsoft Teams message to me. I'm like, WTF? It's a chat program, not emails.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

Like setting a puller in a group with no mercs.
  15. Diptera Augur

I've grouped with some people that could have benefitted from a visual indicator that told them whether they should be aggroing mobs or not ;)
    Yinla and Winnowyl like this.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Who still gets mad about things which don't matter? Is this Victorian England?
  17. Nadisia Augur

Hey, I'm using the puller tag when I'm playing with my husband ... so I can keep an eye on his main target, even when I am the puller/tank

Just for these moments, when sooner or later, hmm, you know «Ooops, sorry honey, wrong target, train incoming» o_O :oops:
    So I am not surprized. :p
  18. Angahran Augur

I refuse to buy those completely pointless 'glyphs'.

Now, if we could buy glyph of stored experience (and there's one for AAs but I forget the name), sure.
    Even if it was something like you had to be max AA capped in order to buy 1% real/1AA it would at least be something.

Or another idea, if a group member is max exp/capped AA then have any earned xp redistributed amongst the remaining group members who are not maxed.
    Fenthen likes this.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Never unreasonable to make a suggestion so throwing that out there first.

But lets look at this. What you want is a feature that will make it easier to stay Free to Play longer. The problem here is they would have to spend Dev time to add a feature that isn't going to generate income. Now I guess they could sell zero exp potions in the marketplace. or exp removing potions in the marketplace. That way they can make money off it.

Now there is an easy answer without Dev time. Die over and over to lose exp or simply make new toons to play up to whatever level you want. Since you are free to play free ways to deal with it seem the most appropriate.

I could be wrong but I would think the whole intention of free to play is to actually get you to pay at some point. So leveling up and eventually needed to have a pay account to enjoy the game completely seems to be the whole point of this. So your suggestion would defeat that point.

Lastly, the question is if the Devs made any change how many folks will use it? Now things mainly comes into generating income. I am not sure they would do this simply because it would generate zero income for the game. If they did go with an option that would generate income like Deleveling or Exp loss potions then yes the question of how many would use them comes into question. And I guess whether it would be enough to make them any money.

The closest thing to what you want are TLP servers that limit levels for periods of time and it is clear Daybreak requires subs to provide this.

The conclusion in my opinion is Daybreak would have to be making money to make a change such as this and not risk losing money. Just not sure where the upside is for them.
    Duder likes this.
  20. Greymantle Augur

If you do not want to accumulate any more exp.. Just switch to 100%AA exp. Chose or not to use them. If you do not wish to use them to gain new abilitys just purchase and use the fireworks.