The Classic Experiences in Modern Everquest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xerzist, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Xerzist Augur

Since we have a new expansion, one positive note is that the potential raid zone options are a lot better, at least in my opinion. It will hopefully be less hopping around and more spending most of the night in one raid zone.

In this past expansion, everything was very straight-forward. Snowbound dropped off lower tier named and in missions, faded icebound dropped off the higher tier named and missions, faded velium was bought/crafted and you farmed a nugget. The raid armor achieved from raids, obviously, but the final empowered piece obtained from doing lots of raiding and winning diamondized nuggets or buying them from a merchant.

One classic type of experience I think would be cool to bring back to the raid scene is that back in the day, Halls of Testing for example, lesser guilds, guilds on the way up, and smaller groups of players looking for a challenge could fight the raid trash to obtain classic specific gear, or armor upgrades, or the occasional fancy drop. There was also mini-bosses which were one groupable or two groupable by good players that dropped great items for the era. Usually near the entrance areas to raid zones, or close enough to single with good pulling tactics.

Let's also talk about Western Wastes, I'm curious to see how they handle the roaming named dragons that were once upon sought after so much for their necklace drops and other loot. It's my thought that having elite mobs spawning in zones (that are highly desired, contested) offers some fun elements to modern Everquest in a time where everything is instanced to avoid conflict. Think of Wuoshi, or old roaming dragons. Maybe I am blanking this morning, but I can't recall any mobs like this besides named in the last expansion. Why??

Either way, I am rambling at this point, but you get the idea hopefully :D just food for the thought blender to any devs who may read.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No thanks unless they bring back the play nice policy. There is a reason we have instances now, I'd rather see more instances than this.
    code-zero and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The tlp servers are a good example of how this would play out.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I hate to admit it, but yes.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Maybe we would get AoCs for it!