XP oddity

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Arborer, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Arborer Lorekeeper

My 115 druid was helping a 90 mage get some levels so we went to Sarith which has suitable yellow mobs for him. He noticed he got more xp when we were grouped together than he did when he solo'd and I just backed him up. And I don't mean because as a group we killed faster. I'm talking about per mob XP.

The mobs are grey to me so I was getting NO xp at all. I've always assumed in such a situation the 115's share of the XP is allocated and then "thrown away", effectively, since the mobs are grey to the 115. So the level 90 PLee would get a share smaller than solo because he's only getting part of the total XP from the kill.

The difference was significant. Like ~1.5% regular xp per kill versus slightly under 1.0.

I read a recent thread about pullers getting more xp because of the XP penalty for levelling in lower zones. But that doesn't seem relevant. Usually the 115 was pulling anyway in both cases.

Curioser and curioser...
  2. Cadira Augur

Was he pulling the mobs?
  3. Sissruukk Rogue One

Arborer likes this.
  4. Arborer Lorekeeper

Next time we might test whether who pulled makes any difference. It should not to him since this zone is suitable for his level at 90. But I am curious about that effect as well.

All these years I never knew about this puller bonus. I did know the poor puller could lose out on xp if he went out to grab another mob and got too far away when the current mob died. This was always unfortunate since a good group would always want the puller bringing in another mob before the current one died.
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

The negative xp mod started in RoF so regardless of your level, it should not affect you in VoA zones.

I'm assuming that there is not vitality (fellowship) xp involved or friend of friend bonus xp ... it's a strange occurrence. Assuming just 1 solo (no merc) vs 2 group ... you should be seeing 100 vs 60 (120/2) even with bonus (ratio should be the same). I have found that in certain cases with bonus xp, the xp earned "seems to not follow conventional path" but that's almost always in the case of quest rewards, not standard mob xp. [Note: I'm also assuming you are on a regular Live server, and not one with a bonus (FV) ... bonuses with bonuses also do funny things at times]

Semantics, but there's not a puller bonus ... it's just that the puller doesn't pick up the negative modifier. If it's changed in the future, more likely that the negative modifier is applied to all rather than everyone ignoring the modifier (unless they decide to get rid of at some point).
  6. Cadira Augur

Sorry i read this when i was half asleep this morning an didn't read about the puller being the 115 lol
  7. Arborer Lorekeeper

No worries. And, yes, we are on FV so maybe the server bonus is involved with this.
  8. Cadira Augur

Does it happen to be a RAF account? or is that not possible in your case?
  9. Arborer Lorekeeper

Nope, neither is RAF account.