EQ Keeps freezing completely every min thirty to 2 min for 10-15 sec

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Lambro, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Lambro Lorekeeper

At this point I don't think it's meant to come back to EQ. It's very frustrating! I posted about my 4k issue.. still can't get that completely fixed yet but I was able to take it down a couple resolutions making the game look a little worse and for some reason it keeps triggering my HDR10 or whatever on my screen when running EQ at lower resolutions. It's such a pain and doesn't look as good but I can deal with it as long as I can play.

Now, I have another issue. Every minute to 2 minutes EQ just completely freezes for 10 to 15 seconds. I played a few hours of the tutorial and it never let up. I didn't post sooner because I'm low level and I can deal with it while I have a merc and don't have much to worry about. But that's going to get me and my groups killed when I get higher level. Which will mean the game will be unplayable for me once I get some levels back under my belt.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I have a decent rig with a GTX 1060 graphics card. Which should be more than enough for EQ. I ran this game on dial up back in the day on a cruddy PC and had almost instant zone times. Come on now!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Not sure it matters but my PC is hooked to a 4k TV and I run my PC at 3840x2160 . I can't run EQ that high because the UI is tiny and me and another tried for several hours via Discord trying to get it bigger but could not. So I had to use the resolution of 2560x1440 which is a couple reses lower. And the highest refresh rate on that res is only 30. And my TV has a 60 refresh rate.
  2. MarcusD New Member

Dont give up! That is very strange I am using AMD ryzen APU and it handles EQ fine at highest settings so it isn't your rig, must be some incompatibility somewhere or a driver issue. My suggestion to start might be to check your system temps, update graphics driver, mess around in graphics settings and see if that gets you anywhere. Do other games run fine? My first thought is could be a heatsink seating issue maybe even a jumper problem on the motherboard.
    Lambro likes this.
  3. Herf Augur

This happens to me on one of my Windows 10 boxes, but not the other. The one suggestion I've heard to try is to make sure you're NOT running a browser, particularly Chrome, at the same time you're running EQ. Since I DO run a browser simultaneously from time to time I can't say for sure if this is the cure, but give it a try.
    Leerah and Lambro like this.
  4. Mikana Augur

Could be journal / log files. -

Try switching off the journal ( ALT+J, untick 'Enable Journal' ).

For log file, check size of it ( EQ install folder\logs\eqlog_ToonName_Server.txt ) - try renaming your log file (whilst EQ is not running) , so that EQ will create a new log file next time you start.

Also worth making sure your antivirus is not trying to scan the log files, as that might cause problems whenever EQ attempts to write to it.
    Lambro likes this.
  5. Lambro Lorekeeper

Thanks for the help all.

I hopped on for a couple hours just messing around and it didn't do it during that playtime.

Will try your alls tips next time if it happens again. But I hope it doesn't!
  6. KarmaKitty Augur

Ha ha, this week when camping I sometimes get server select or booted from game. May be some sort of login server validation issue. Whatever. Does not have a significant impact at the moment. The game is always tossing curve balls of some sort. :eek: