Melee research

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Anyone know of a good site for melee research (Rogue) skilling up from 123 to 300 and maybe beyond please?
  2. theonepercent Augur

Binding powders or guidestones.
    Winnowyl and Skuz like this.
  3. Gialana Augur

I used the top two stickied threads on EqTraders message board in the "Tradeskill Guides and UI Mods." They are a little outdated in that they were written when melee were still restricted to which recipes they could attempt. Since every class can now attempt all of the research combines, you can look through the intelligent caster guides as well as the melee guides.

If you don't care about cost, you can get to a skill of 243 with vendor-bought ingredients to make various solutions (e.g. Parchment Solution through Runic Parchment Solution). If you have the sunshard ores and a trophy, glowing energaeic rods aren't too bad. It will cost close to 950pp per attempt, but as long as you don't fail too many combines, you won't lose too much platinum since the rod sell for 771pp.

Also, while working on travellers in LDoN for a few characters, I completed the tasks and wiped out the zones. I ended up with many intricate binding powders and sunshard ores. I added this in case you want to farm your own materials since people are trying to get 1 to 2k per intricate binding powder in the bazaar.
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

They consolidated all research awhile ago. There's no longer melee/hybrid/priest/caster research ... just research (although there are very few items still int caster only).

Generally, a binding powder of some sort is the way to go if you have enough since 1 powder = 2 combines with the parchment combine and is cheap.
    Skuz and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Ah, I wasn't aware they had changed it, time to rob the wizzy of all her binding powders.

Thanks for the help all.
  6. Aanuvane Augur

Here's the detailed page I created for trying to teach people research basics at EQTC. I'll try to more clearly all out the paragraph sitting under "Research Kits" that anyone can make anything now.

I also hardily support skilling up via binding powders and will hold your hand while you poke yourself in the eye with a stick when you decide to try and learn all 2568 recipes to get to 350 in research :D
    nitrocutter, Andarriel, Zaray and 5 others like this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Thanks!

I've done some on her but that was 10 years ago when melee had limited research. Going back to a char I hadn't played in 10 years I've found lots has changed.
  8. Diptera Augur

Bah, stop wasting precious components on melee, when they could go to MY attempts to skill up Research instead ;)
  9. Zamiam Augur

binding powders are the way to go , however it requires a component that afaik only int casters can summon (as for my hybrid research ,req a mage to summon mass focus intricate spellcasters empowering essence ) so luckily I got my mage its a lvl 69 spell and she creates these empowering essences that are temporary but are tradeable .. then I (my ranger) combine with
    a intricate binding powder
    piece of parchment
    intricate binding solution
    intricate spellcasters empowering essence
    combine all in a hybrid research container .. triv is 312 .. my current skill is 220 .. and I already confirmed it does work ..

I was stuck at 220 , I could continue with solutions but would only get me to 248 i believe.
    someone told me guidestones they dont stack so that wasnt gonna work .. also someone said make combat spellbook .. well from looking that up you need all TS at 300 before you can request a quest to get the scribe book so you can make combat spellbook .. so that was out also ..
    now i just have to farm a lot of intricate powders
  10. Skaara New Member

So this isn't specific to melee research but I think that it can give you an idea of what you are looking for as far as skillup paths go, tradeskill guide
  11. Zamiam Augur

Ya I follow that religiously , however it doesnt have anything for hybrid research unless you want to spend 500 to 800 pp per attempt from 248 + .. the glowing Energiac(sp) rod requires a pure silver ingot which sells for 400+ pp .. plus the other mats needed so your looking at between 500 to 800 each attempt .. was a bit too expensive for me . maybe if you have the pp to blow then that is the route you can take ..
    I was looking for a more cost effective way to continue .. but you are correct that guide is like my bible for any of the other TS's ..

EDIT: did my math wrong .. so combine above takes 2 pure silver ingots which cost 457pp each so your looking at 914pp just for the 2 pure ingots .. so total cost with all mats is around 930pp not including the cost of the sunshard ore req 2 per combine .. also there are multiple sub combines with this receipe ..
  12. Aanuvane Augur

Binding powders are likely more cost effective than Glowing Energeiac Rods. You can max to 300 and max the trophy with just Intricate - Intricate binding powders drop off mobs that are easily farmable post 100 (LDoNs, GoD). Bonus, those same mobs will also drop other research items that can also be used for recipes that are >300 trivial and they will drop Crystallized Sulfur if you want to make your own solutions.
  13. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I need to reprice my binding powders been selling for 250 no wonder i keep selling out. But yea ldons are good for binding's and sunshards plus other stuff that needed to 350 recipes.

Andarriel
    Aanuvane likes this.
  14. Zamiam Augur

still a loss of 200pp per attempt and we all know getting a trophy to 300max lvl 7 takes over a thousand combines closer to 2k .. that adds up .. and thats IF you dont have to buy the ore
  15. Midasa Elder

As a melee, I was afraid of research for a long time, but turns out it is pretty easy.
    There is a whole series of the XXX Enchanted Spell Parchment that you can do instead of just relying on Intricate if people are price gouging.
    Elaborate is trivial 352
    Ornate is trivial 392
    Then you can use the parchments to make things like Elaborate (or Ornate) Scroll of Fire Strike, Elaborate Scroll of Static Strike, Pestilence, Frost Strike, and Poisoning.
    As Zamiam posted above, you do need an int caster, not very high level, to cast the spells to create the components. For example, Spell: Focus Mass Ornate Spellcaster's Essence

Forgot to mention, Guidestones were great until i started succeeding too much!
    Winnowyl likes this.
  16. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

I've taken 6 characters to 300 research - two of them were rogues, one a monk.

I use the binding powders for as long as I can. As Midasa (hi!) said, there's actually 4 different powders that will trivial over 300, and with the powders, you get two bites at the apple. Once for turning it into a parchment, and again for turning it into a scroll of whatever flavor. The first step needs the summoned items. Worth it to get the skill up.

The other thing I use is the Writing Ink. Random drop. Save em up, do the Alliance Merchant quest, and make a crapload of unstackable tomes that actually sell back and trivial at 375.
    Midasa likes this.