Newb Mistakes? Share Yours!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lockdown, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Schadenfreude Augur

2. Schadenfreude Augur

You never forget your first death.

[IMG]
  3. Schadenfreude Augur

Ah, yes.

When you mean to /tell [friend] "[guildmate] is terrible, I'm sure he's AFK until loot is given out" and you end up somehow forgetting to type your friend's name and end up sending the tell directly to the actual person you were female dogging about.
  4. Windance Augur

There are the common ones like attacking a mob when you wanted to /con it instead, killing yourself with (insert spell) because you targeted yourself instead of the mob, etc.

The most memorable one for me was a boating accident.

Setting out on a trip from BB to FV, my level 15ish dwarven pally fell off the boat after zoning.

Oh NO ! chases after the boat ... I'm in the middle of the F'ing ocean!

Swim, Swim, Swim, oh my endurance is dropping, I'm going to drown when it runs out!

Swim, Swim, Swim, oh ##*$$#!! a corpse run out here is going to amazingly bad ... *panic*

Swim, Swim, Swim, ... I'm out of endurance HELP!!!! .....

oh wait I'm not drowning ... ( looks at the map ... ) maybe I can find my way there .,,
    Ferriciean and Svann2 like this.
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

This isn't exactly a newbie mistake, but when I was growing up in the Freeport region around levels 1-5, I'd fish off the East Freeport docks to make money (bad source of income, but I didn't know any better.) I'd fish right where the boats docked, so you could have conversations with people waiting for boats to pass the time.

That felt really Everquesty to me. Just sitting around, fishing, losing my beer, and talking to random people on their travels. I miss those days.
    Kaenneth, Herf, Sissruukk and 2 others like this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ah yea. In my first week of eq I took the boat from Erud to Qeynos. Jumped off the boat before I reached dock and found myself underwater. Couldnt figure out how to swim up. Drowned.
    Herf likes this.
  7. Leigo You come here often?

you used to take falling dmg in pok. put a housing item (like a guild hall, something very heavy) in your inventory (not in a bag) then go walk around in combat zones without levi, even at today's hp numbers you can kill yourself rather quickly with that oversight. :)
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

One time i was very young and had a dwarf char and third time i begged off a dwarf guard he killed me lol. Another time i died in East commons and was bound in bb and my level was low so my char with a few twink items poofed :( lol Long boat rides and couldnt find a port.

Andarriel
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, I just remembered, it used to be if you ported in somewhere, the game would not minutely adjust your position, as it does now. So, if a number of people ported in and nobody moved, people would just stack up. Eventually, the pile would be high enough that people could die from fall damage when they moved from the port in spot!!
    Herf and Arborer like this.
  10. Elyssanda Bardbrain

grew up in Kelethin.. got first Selos song..

'nuff said.
    Jennre and minimind like this.
  11. Lockdown Elder

:);) Yeah, that pretty much covers it.
    minimind and Elyssanda like this.
  12. Arborer Lorekeeper

Yeah, you can tell an oldster by seeing if they remember that.

Also do you remember when a fat ogre could block everyone's access to one of the earlier Bazaar versions by zoning in and not moving. Everybody zoning in would get stuck behind him. Of course some wise guy would do this for laughs. I don't remember if they "piled up" vertically but they sure would get stuck and everybody would be /saying insults to the ogre, which probably only motivated the giggling player to stick it out longer. To fix that they must have some kind of horizontal placement adjustment so we could get by the Fatty.

By the way, I wish I remembered all the different Bazaars. How many have there been? It seems the devs would keep changing the Bazaar even when nobody asked for it. Kinda like updating Freeport LOL.

Anyone remember this trick? One of the earlier Bazaar's was similar to today with traders set up on platforms along straight walls, kinda like in a stable. Back then a druid could somehow mass group buff wolf form and when the traders turned into wolves they would get forced off the platforms, thus cancelling their trader status. A seller would go to his computer in the morning looking forward to counting his vast stacks of fresh metallic coins and he'd find he sold nothing all night long.
  13. Lockdown Elder

I miss the old Freeport. I liked having that fake wall you had to pass through to get to the PoK book. I also liked the sewers where a few "a drowned citizen" would hang out.

The change I hated most was the buff icons. I liked the old, simple icons much better than this incomprehensible mess they stuck us with. Whatever they paid for these current icons was too much.
    Herf and minimind like this.
  14. Gleamz New Member

First time in Kelethin hearing people asking for a Bind by lift. I'd tell them iId be on my way and... when i got there, I'd proceed to use bind wound on them thinking they'd been injured!

Also not realising about the /con system and wondered why the orc pawn died quickly, and the orc Legionaiire killed me in about 3 hits.
    minimind likes this.
  15. Svann2 The Magnificent

IIRC, there used to be an arena in the bazaar zone. Why?? Someone figured out how to push traders into it, then kill them.
    Herf likes this.
  16. Sissruukk Rogue One

Back on Tallon Zek, we had good races vs bad races (even though good races were subdivided into teams). Kelethin was one of the main hangouts for good races. Well, some short races would come to the bank in Kelethin and beg for coin. So, some druids would give them plat, but all in copper, so they couldn't move. Then the druids would gust of wind them off the platform/walkway, insta-killing the poor beggar. Well, being as the beggar would still want the money, they would go loot their corpse, only to find that they were stuck in place because of weight. They would then flood /ooc with requests for SoW.
    Arborer likes this.
  17. Arborer Lorekeeper

I hate the new icons too. But I just copy the old ones into my UI folder default file every time they patch the files. The devs must have realized many people hate the new icons since they helpfully provide a folder called classic_spell_icons. Surely you know this!
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There were also people who'd go into trader mode and either be semi-blocking the aisle, or completely block another trader. Someone figured out that if enough people inspected a trader at the same time, they would go link dead. Nothing like vigilante justice :)

I also remember getting blocked out of the bank in Kelethin by fatties. That's when I figured out I could go on the "terrace" around the back side of the bank, and using 3rd person view, could "see" the banker through the window, and open the bank window that way.

I only remember two versions of the Bazaar (the actual zone, I'm not counting player-run bazaars like EC tunnel and GFay).
  19. Sheebea Augur

As a nOOb I was in need of supplies. My pack and slots were full. So, I dropped my BP on the ground to buy what I needed. WTH?? It wasn't there when I went back to retrieve it!
    Nother time 3 of us went to the bottom of Runnyeye. Our leader gated out and /q . Was alone somewhere I had no clue to get out.
  20. Evye Augur

Playing on Vallon Zek thinking the low numbers meant less lag and not knowing what PVP meant.
    When some EDURITE pked me I was so confused. When i learned he took my leather bracer I was broken.
    minimind likes this.