Coming back

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Eindyina2, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Eindyina2 Journeyman

Recently was able to recover my account from 2007. Wow! What a flood of memories!

So now I need to learn how to play again with my 78 wizard and 67 necro. I know Hero's journey is a good place to start. My old guild is no more and that's really sad. And my gear, although good in the day, prob sucks now.

I was looking through my bank and noted a bunch of zone access quest items such as for plane of sky key, sleeper's key, razorthorn access, Zyran, Bastian of thunder upper access Vex Thal, Plane of time B etc, etc...

Does anyone actually do these anymore? Any advice for a returning player? Kinda lost for now :(

Thanks!
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Yeah, hero's journey tasks for your level range are a decent place to start getting familiar with things again. You may also want to roll a new character and go through the Gloomingdeep tutorial zone, as it reviews a lot of game functions and explains some that will be new for you. This includes explaining how to hire a mercenary, which is one of the first things you're going to want to do. Leveling can be a bit lonely in your current level range until you get closer to max level, as all servers are pretty top heavy these days. Having a mercenary helps a lot. It only takes a few hours to go through the whole tutorial from scratch, and then you could just scrap that character and go back to your old ones if you want.

Also worth speaking to Franklin Teek in PoK near the Guild Lobby entrance. He gives hot zone tasks for various level ranges. These tasks amount to just being sent to a level appropriate zone and killing 5 of a particular mob type, and you're rewarded with a decent chunk of xp and a level appropriate piece of defiant armor. The hot zones also have an innate +xp modifier and can (sometimes) be good places to hang out and grind for xp.

As for those old keys... most of them are irrelevant now as the zones are just open based on being a certain level, and the key is not needed to enter. Keys used within a zone (like the Plane of Sky island keys) are still used, but once you use them once they will be added to your keyring (/key) and can subsequently be destroyed. Occasionally people might hit Vex Thal or Plane of Sky for a unique clicky item or an epic quest or something, but for the most part nobody is spending time in any of those zones anymore on non-TLP servers. I'm not sure what Zyran is.
    minimind and Eindyina2 like this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

WB! First off make a level 1 character and go thru the tutorial in Gloomingdeep - this will teach you tons about the new stuff in the game. When done with that head up to POK and continue the tutorial with "Out of Gloomingdeep" With an NPC named Scalena (sp?)

Then go back to your other guys. You can head to Franklin Teek in POK and pick up a couple daily quests in hot zones, they are all kill 5 of a mob. Each one will give you exp and a piece of armor for the level your doing. You can get a belt, back and hood I think it is. But this will help you get some free armor. Don' t buy any armor till closer to level 100 since it drops a lot. And plat is much more plentiful so you will have money for spells. They are all in POK library up to level 85 (?) Just use your find key and look for Wizard spells level what ever and it will show you a path to follow to that npc

We get all Veteran rewards from day 1 so if you look under your Alternate Ability tab and then look under "special" you will see them listed. The best one is "Throne of Heros" this will allow you to port back to the lobby every so often. So make that one a hot key.

Yes keep all your keys. There is a huge aug in the game that requires a ton of old stuff, flagging etc and that might come in handy.

Another big thing is to get your maps. Most every one uses Good and Brewell's.

Edit Goods maps are in his signature Here! and Brewell you can just google "brewell's eq maps" easy downloads
    Eindyina2 likes this.
  4. Eindyina2 Journeyman

Thank you! I wasn't sure about the merc at higher levels thought maybe he would just die alot and not be worth the effort but I will try one out, esp for the wizard. I did go through the tutorial again and it helped alot! And got the maps!

Zyran was referring to the ashengate seal I have the first two quests done.
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3607

Would you have any more information on the aug you mentioned that uses old stuff please?
    I tried to search it on Alla but could'nt find anything.

Also is there a TomTom type addon for EQ? Seems there was back in the day but I can't remember where it was.

Thank you very much!!
  5. Captain Video Augur

It's part of the TSS progression line, so it sounds like you might have completed a portion of the Hero's Journey already. There is a four-part quest line to assemble the Ashengate Seal, which works as a mez for the guards outside the Ashengate zone-in. Zyran is the quest-giver.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The tradeskill aug I was referring to is The Artesian's Prize. It is very long, requires a lot of tradeskilling, POP flagging etc: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=8120

The closest thing to Tom Tom would be to use the zone guide in the upper right corner of your map. You set where you are and then where you want to go and it will list the zones to go thru. It will even make a path to follow and show you what connections (like guild hall portal or book) to go thru to get there.

There are additional stat increases for completing some of the older zones like the DON completion that will give you higher heroic stats
    Eindyina2 likes this.
  7. Eindyina2 Journeyman

Thank you! I will look into that. I had gotten all my trade skills to 200 and mastered baking before I left.
    Thanks for the map tip! That will help alot! Plus I finally remembered how to use /loc too. LOL. It's all coming back...slowly....
  8. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

In addition to CatsPaws' suggestion to use the zone guide for traveling from one zone to another, there's also the Find function for navigating within a zone. Ctrl + F will bring up a list of destinations. In cities/PoK this will list a bunch of vendors, bankers, guild masters, etc. Selecting them will (usually) generate a visible path you can follow to them. It also marks a red X on your map where the find target is (default key for map is either M or backspace, or both). I recommend turning off Auto-Zoom function on your map, makes it easier to see where you are going. In non-city zones, the Find function will usually only list zone connection locations to other zones.

You can also use /findpc <playername> and it will generate a path to that player if they are in your group or raid. If you just right click any spot on your map, it will (sometimes) generate a path to that spot on the map. Sometimes when trying to generate any of these paths, particularly if it's a complex route involving multiple Z-axis levels or teleport pads etc. the visible path will not show up, but it will still mark a red X on your map.
    Eindyina2 likes this.
  9. Eindyina2 Journeyman

Thank you very much for all the help!
  10. Eindyina2 Journeyman

May I ask one more question please?
    I have spent time getting familiar with things thanks to all the help I received above and am now ready to go do some Hero's journey quests. Thought I would start with Monkey Island. It will be just me bc groups are hard to find at lower levels.

I am a wizard which means I don't take melee damage well and will often die if hit head on. So I know I need to hire a tank merc. I am Level 78.

I am all access so I can hire above apprentice. What tier should I get? Should he be active or passive? Do you just keep him all the time to get him exp or just get one when when you are questing? The tutorial only told me how to hire one, not what to do with him afterwards.

I apologize for all the questions. I tried to search for this info but couldn't find much. Is there a guide for this?

Thank you!
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I run my tank on aggressive and I use a Vah Shir cat since they seem cooler. The skin or looks doesn't matter as they are all the same in that respect.

When you get level 85, since your a paying account, you can do a fast quest to get the top merc in the game - a J5 (Journey man 5) that quest is called No Heroism Without Fear - https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=7485

There is a harder version you can do at level 75 but you need a group for that. Until the J5 get the highest one you can off the npc merc liaison - J4? not sure as I just use whatever I have until the 85 becomes available. They are located in POK and other cities. Listed under the "find" key

Now when you are not using your merc you can put it on passive. It will charge you one more time for the 15 minutes and then stop charging you. Some folks do this and sit in lobby to get buffs until ready to go out and fight again. Down side is you can forget to turn him back to aggressive before you start fighting and wind up with him just standing there letting you die. To change the stance you have to click the stance and then click "set active"

When you are ready to turn him back on wait for the count down to roll over to less than 15 minutes - like 14 or 13 and then turn him back on - you will not be charged for that almost full 15 minute slot. This makes up for that one charge it does before it goes passive.

Something else you won't find in the guides. Under options (alt O) general is a merc setting on the bottom left. Click the box where is says "Auto merc passive". IIRC you also have to click "Auto afk" too - this will put you AFK (Away from keyboard) when your idle for x amount of time and then it will make your merc passive so it stops charging you. Pretty handy if you leave your self logged in at night by accident.

Some people say you have to buy a new merc or turn in your old one every time you level. That is not true. They will level with you and you don't have to do a thing. I kept a merc I got in tutorial until level 85 on my shaman. Was kinda cool cause he kept charging the lowest amount :). So they will level with you. You can also get them gear starting around level 75 - I think that's covered in the links below.

So here's some links that should help

https://almarsguides.com/eq/general/mercenaries.cfm

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Mercenaries
    Duder and Eindyina2 like this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Welcome Back
    Eindyina2 likes this.
  13. Eindyina2 Journeyman

CatsPaws,
    Oh my gosh! Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! They really should stickie your post to the top for all the newer players because I am sure others like me would want to read it.

Thank you SO MUCH for all the help you and the others have given me! It is very much appreciated!

Eindyina
    CatsPaws likes this.
  14. Cydonia Elder

Not sure anyone has mentioned this ( catspaws mentioned veteran AAs) but there is a veteran reward AA called lesson of the devoted with is a 100% exp bonus for half an hour every day. Very much worth finding under the special tab in AAs

You say you have a wizard and a necro. Are they on the same account or can you box them? If you can box them, you should do so, and use a tank merc on one, and a healer merc on the other.

If they are same account, as a solo wizard or necro you are probably better off with a healer merc, and finding places where you can kite, as using a tank merc is not very sustainable without a source of heals.

Playing solo will likely be a very frustrating and slow experiance. I would suggest you box if you are able.
  15. Lambro Lorekeeper

As a returning player just last night for the first time since also 2007, thanks all. I love reading through posts and getting tips and info on things while I figure out what to do again as I too had some keys and raid gear and everything on my level 85 druid on Stromm(now Luclin)

I just re rolled a fresh druid from scratch last night and hit level 11 and out of the tutorial on Bristlebane (same name as here on the forums if any are on BB, my friends list is empty now :( )

Just had a quick question since this thread seems most helpful.

My previous main, 85 druid, had tons of rewards waiting for him when I logged in. What is that about and why did I receive them? I made a new character but didn't get any rewards on him so a bit confused. Here's a pic of the rewards.

Also, I think the last expansion I played was Seeds of Destruction which was the 15th expansion? But on server select it says I own 24 out of 26 expansions up to Ring of Scale! Curious how or why I got 9 expansions for free. Not complaining I just like to know things lol.
  16. Qbert Gallifreyan

Those are achievement rewards that were given to you because you had the quests already completed. Some achievements work that way, but not all. The names at the top of each reward tab are the names of the achievements you got rewarded for; if you open your achievement window (/ach) you can peruse the ones you have and have not completed.

Everyone gets all expansions but the current and next-most recent until if/when the company decides to change that policy. Lots of things changed when the game went free-to-play (some of which were implemented later).
    Lambro likes this.
  17. Lambro Lorekeeper

Ah thanks!

Is there a way to see what each achievement will give as a reward before actually doing the achievement? I like to look at achievements and start working on the ones that will be the most beneficial to me and start working on them when I can.. but I'm not seeing a way to actually check the rewards out.
  18. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

If there is a reward associated with completing the actual achievement, there will be a View Reward button you can click on the /ach list, like this:

[IMG]

Not all achievements have rewards. Sometimes completing one achievement doesn't directly grant any reward, but it may be part of a larger meta achievement that does grant one once completed. Also keep in mind that some achievements are just a checklist for a quest, and the quest may yield a reward that isn't listed on the /ach window. For example the Breakdown in Communication achievement doesn't list any reward on the /ach list, but the reward is inherently given as part of the quest.
  19. Lambro Lorekeeper

Thanks sooo much. See I was in the tutorial and saw someone complete the achievements walkthrough thing and it said he earned the master achiever or something in chat and I heard the sound and everything. Thought that was pretty cool so I clicked on it and it said he got xp and some gold for doing that achievement so I checked that same achievement out for my character, and it showed no rewards for it. But when I completed it, then it showed a reward button and said I got gold and xp.

That's why I didn't think they showed rewards... I'm guessing if you just get money and xp then it will just not show anything prior unless you actually get gear or a mount or something?

But thanks for showing me. Now I know I can look for achievements with rewards:) This game has so much content it's unreal

Edit: How were you able to put an image directly in the post? When I click the image button it says to put in an image URL which I did and then when I hit insert nothing happened. Which is why I linked to an image instead.
  20. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I think you're referring to this achievement?

[IMG]

I haven't completed it on the character I took the screenshot from, and it still shows the View Reward button for me, and displays the reward as 10 silver + experience. I'm not sure why it wouldn't have shown for you, maybe the display window just needed adjusted? If there is any reward at all, it should show the View Reward button.

For posting images on the forum, first upload the image at imgur.com. Then on imgur hold your cursor over the image and click the "..." box for image options, and go to Get Share Links. Copy the text for BBCode (Forums) into your forum post.
    Lambro likes this.