Newb Mistakes? Share Yours!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lockdown, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

A week or two after the game came out I was in East Commonlands. I got attacked by a wolf after a fight so I feared it, cast invis so it couldn't find me, then sat down to med...

After recovering my corpse I was later attacked by a kodiak. I ran into an inn and closed the door to keep it out...
    Xeladom, Ferriciean, Funky and 6 others like this.
  2. Nniki Augur

I think a mistake every new bard made at some point was leaving Chords of Dissonance playing while running around friendly NPCs. The majority of those bards probably didn't even know what it did exactly; it may have even taken them a few deaths to figure out.

I think the first time it happened to me was after traveling from Qeynos to Kelethin to buy some songs. I walked up to a lift with Chords of Dissonance playing for whatever reason and seconds later was a corpse under the feet of the nearby guards. I was, of course, still bound in Qeynos, but fortunately, I was lucky that time and a friend was able to find someone to resurrect me.

The number of poor, innocent bards slain by their guild masters and city guards... :oops:
    Ferriciean likes this.
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

I still push the limit of my AE abilities in tight quarters. Sometimes it doesn't work... (Damn you ToFS!!)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  4. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Jhenna, one of our bards is KNOWN for killing himself about once a month.. on raid.
    Funky and minimind like this.
  5. Gialana Augur

This happened after Ruins of Kunark was released. There's a quest in Erudin where you're given a 6-slot container and told to fill it with bone chips. Since the chips stacked to 20, I filled it with 120 bone chips. That took days to collect, especially in Tox Forest. I don't remember if the combine button ate all 120 bone chips or if it didn't allow me to combine. Needless to say, I never did that quest again.
    minimind likes this.
  6. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I feel a little better, now. I hadn't killed my self with a DoT on a raid since RoS haha.

The Bard is just role playing Johnny Cash! Always dressing in black like he's going to a funeral.
    Andarriel likes this.
  7. Jondalar Augur

It was way way too long after I began playing that I found out what parens around your name meant....
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

My third day in EQ, 2002, my RL friend got me into his guild. He showed me how to scroll back to see my new guild tag - Seeds of Legends - under my name. (on Torvonilious server..) When I went to log in the next evening. I came up to server select and had a meltdown because I could see under my name -Clan Crushbone.

I called had to log off to call him (dial up days of EQ) and I was totally freaking out. he had me log back in so he could see. Then I received a tell saying, YOU are still in our guild, but you are IN Clan Crushbone zone.
    Funky, minimind and Sissruukk like this.
  9. Herf Augur

I'd been killing stuff in Field of Bone with another lowbie Iksar. He suggested we explore this place on the map called Kaesora. At about lvl 10. Biggest spider I ever saw.... It ate the other guy so I ran back into a hallway, hoping that the giant spider couldn't squeeze through the doorway :)
    minimind likes this.
  10. Herf Augur

Not quite noob, but a friend of mine who'd been playing Iksar with me decided to make a halfling druid. He was running over to Firiona Vie when he saw an Iksar standing under the giant Iksar statue there by the water. He figured he'd help an Iksar out with some druid buffs. Unfortunately it was an Iksar NPC :)
    minimind likes this.
  11. Herf Augur

And the best one. I'd never played an MMORPG. Friend says "there's this new game out called Everquest and it's awesome! Let's all buy it and we can play lizardmen! It'll be awesome."

Soooo first ever MMORPG and I make an Iksar SK. Then find out there's only one place in the world I can bank :). No rezzes ("what's a rez?"), SHM for healers. No ports. When Luclin came out and my friends and I got to Thurgadin, the one half elf in the group couldn't figure out why we Iksar were so excited, running around and clicking on all the different vendors :)
    Sissruukk, Tatanka and minimind like this.
  12. Arborer Lorekeeper

Back right after Velious came out, a friend and I, both dwarf warriors, wanted to check out Thurgadin. A high level wizard pal ported us to Iceclad and invis'd us. And we started the very long run across Iceclad, Eastern Wastes and Great Divide. We had no SOW and the invis dropped en route, as it was prone to do in those days. Making our way carefully around various mobs, we reach the stream in the middle of GD and head north to the dwarf city. Getting excited as we get closer, I warn my pal that we should con the guards at the gate first to be sure they won't attack. Well, he runs ahead recklessly, and being the level-headed one, as we get quite close, I move to con the nearest guard. But... in m excitement instead of conning him I press ATTACK. Of course he starts swinging at me. My friend boldly goes to assist, but seeing how we're around 18 and the guard is probably 50, it's a hopeless battle. To top it off, in my panic I forgot we could have zoned into Thurgadin and cleared aggro. We both die in the snow.

Very long corpse run since the wizard has logged and now we have to take the endless boat ride back to Iceclad and repeat the run, now buff-less and with no gear.

People I've introduced to EQ in the last few years have no clue about the challenges of the early game. Like one said when I described this disaster... I would have just logged and deleted my character!
    Dibab, Herf, minimind and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sakuraba Augur

Reminds me of my attempts as a 11 y/o playing a halfling pally during PoP figuring in my head that brownies are not evil.
  14. Sissruukk Rogue One

I don't know if anyone fell for this, but back in the day when someone was a noob in the start zone, and asked in /ooc for assistance for something, they were told to go target a guard and type in /a for "assist."

I know I fell for this one...
    minimind likes this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

This is 100% truth. Reminds me of a time when I was around level 18 minding my business somewhere in the Faydark region when I get a tell from a high end uber magician to come to Lake Rathe, I have a surprise for you.

So I ran, no ports, ran from Faydark to Lake Rathe. Had to wait for Kithicor Forest because when I zoned in it just became night. Got all the way to Lake Rathe, and this magician gives me...

Skull of Jen-Thra. Int2 Mana10.

And I will never forget thinking.. this is the greatest item I have ever got. Thought I won EQ that day. That is a story that simply cannot happen nowadays with the easiness and knowledge of the game...
  16. Hegsheoshed Augur

My first character was a human rogue that started in Freeport.

Couldn't find the rogues guild. Had no idea it was hidden under the Seafarer's Roost. Could not buy from any merchants in Freeport other than the ones in the Hops & Chops. Gave my newbie starting note to Krystal Aspen and it got eaten. Attacked Krystal Aspen for an instant death, so ended my test as to whether or not merchants could be attacked.

Remade human rogue and put the note in the bank. Found out about the secret handshake and forgot about newbie note in the bank even after I found the Coalition of Tradefolk Illegal rogues guild area.

Eventually I realized my computer wasn't broken when it showed 'loading please wait' for 5 minutes. Figured out what zones were and realized I was missing a lot. Went to Oasis with a gnome named Plimply and we both were promptly squashed by a sand giant. Befallen was a bloodbath with nothing but blood and guts and and spit everywhere on the curved staircase down to the second floor. Nobody had magic weapons in the group. The highest level was 7 in the group.

Had to consent one of the others and I couldn't tell you if I got everything back ok or not.

Being able to sneak and hide with a rogue was not a thing yet at this time.

Went to Faydwer. Got killed by a wandering orc in Gfay and spent a while looking for the corpse in the dark at night. Had no idea that a fire beetle eye was a light source. Did not have one or anything else. Had no clue about lanterns and torches. My second death at night was at the hands of Peg Leg and his bunch. Another arduous corpse run and search. The chipped bone rods existed but I was still clueless about them and lightstones. My first dragoon dirk was still many levels away much less the knowledge of it's existence

I have no idea it there is a copy of that rogue in the database anymore. I never remade it a third time on that server so unless someone else made a character using the same name.
    Sissruukk, Herf and minimind like this.
  17. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

Way back when I was a high elf cleric working on blacksmithing. I had to run non-stacking sheets of Medium Quality Folded Sheet Metal from Freeport to Highpass, through Kithicor, at night. Slowly because they weighed so much and you didn't want to risk using the Mage bags since they poof if you go linkdead. On a full load I'd carry about 40 sheets per trip.

It took me 175 combines to get the last point for Fine Plate Pauldrons. That is 350 sheets. That was around 9 trips from Freeport to Highpass. For *1* point.
    minimind likes this.
  18. Herf Augur

And that, right there, is why I love this game so much. Not that I'm some uber hardcore gamer type, but man, I earned my stripes in EQ back then and I love and respect the game to this day. WoW? Feh, for babies :)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  19. Herf Augur

Another one I remembered. I and my buddies were all Iksar, but a Barb shm showed up, we got to know him and he eventually convinced us to leave Kunark. Which we'd never done because, no ports, dangerous mobs, and you had to find your body to get your stuff back. But we went. I don't recall if we got a port, or risked our lives taking the boats from the OT outpost.

So we go to Unrest. Life is good! We're killing stuff, getting xp, getting awesome loot like the leather apron. Each night the SHM takes all our fine steel and such, goes into town and banks for us. [In the FOB, we Iksar made money by charging fees to the non Iksar visitors for banking (copper was heavy then), and sold them food, water, bat wings and snake scales.] Somehow someone in the group came up with summoned bags. My SK was assigned bag duty to hold all the fine steel..... You know what happens next. For the first time in my life I go LD (modem). The bag poofs. All the fine steel poofs. I logged back in ASAP but it was all gone :( Fortunately everyone knew what happens when you go LD so there were no accusations of ninja looting.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

My wife and I played for a bit leveling up, we got to about the level where blackburrow seemed like a good zone.

Right at the entrance we found a gnoll with this fancy flaming sword.
    We wanted that fancy flaming sword.

Apparently some chanter had been using it as a pet and had fed it weapons.
    It proceeded to kill us for multiple hours before we finally got it dead and got nothing useful.
    Herf, Svann2 and Lockdown like this.