DPG - 6 months in classic + kunark is too much

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by wade_watts, Oct 8, 2020.

1. wade_watts Augur

Please just take note for the next TLP - so much attrition happening right now because these expansions played with modern enhancements just don't offer that much engagement for 6 months. Please consider reducing them for the next TLP (2 months each would be good?) or just releasing Classic + Kunark together.

Aradune TLP is best TLP, but I'm tired of losing so many people because all there is to do is raid log your characters and wait for Velious. I'm assuming this has to drastically impact your subs and revenue as well.

Also - just a reminder to fix enchanter, sk, and wizard epics.

kthanks!
  2. That0neguy Augur

Aradune TLP is best TLP....except for the fact that the core ruleset of 3mo unlocks sucks. Gotcha!
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

The expac wouldn't feel as long if AOC unlocks were longer...
  4. Protagonist Tank

I feel like I've got to be reading this wrongly. Are you saying you want less raiding in the same time period?
  5. bardybard Augur

This probably has a ring of truth to it tbh, the longer the reset timer the longer it takes for people to get their stuff and get bored
  6. Protagonist Tank

Having less to do does not result in less boredom.
  7. wade_watts Augur

Not sure what you don't understand. Aradune is the best TLP they have produced. Hard stop. Reducing 3 month unlocks with content that gets really stale and doesn't keep people engaged would make it better. It's too late at this point, just offering advice if they do future TLP's.
  8. Oldnecro New Member

All content gets stale. Even on live 1-2 months after an expansion launch most people have finished everything minus raid gear.
  9. Bullsnooze Augur

I disagree and I'd love to know where you've derived the basis of your attrition theory?

Many folks in my guild are taking breaks because of life changes and are slated to return when ready. Upon the launch of Velious there will be yet another surge of players consisting of old and new lowering the percentage of attrition.

Aradune is at the sweet spot and should not be changed and future TLP rulesets would do well to keep the same unlock/xp rate.
    Ezra likes this.
  10. bardybard Augur

Nah.... This is my 3rd TLP and on each one the attrition in the last month of Kunark has been brutal. Helios launch helps a bit to being in new and returning people but not nearly enough to replace the Kunark losses.
    Also in Veoious you will see big exodus mid way through as people get the ToV gear they want and get bored.
    Happened before on other servers and will happen here again
  11. a_librarian Augur

The 3 month expansion lock is pretty well tuned to putting the newest server in PoP when they launch the next round of servers. This is a model that is working amazingly well for them and I don't expect it would change. People who are raid logging are still paying as much as when they're playing 18 hours a day
    Overcast451 and Ezra like this.
  12. Mangloid New Member

Lol that’s cute, wait till you see lvl 70...
    It’s a soul crusher...
    Xhartor likes this.
  13. wade_watts Augur

Just personal experience and the experience of every other person I've ever talked to that has played multiple TLP's. I'm not talking about folks raid-logging, I'm talking about the folks that just bail out and burn out from boredom. By the way - confirming that folks basically just hibernate and only raid-log but decide not to cancel isn't really a great argument in support of 12 week unlocks. If the game gets so boring that you only login to not lose raid attendance or get behind on DKP - maybe you really agree with me?

At the end of the day, DPG can see sub numbers and revenue so they have the real information. From a player perspective, 2 months is plenty of time to do anything and still get bored. If it were 8 weeks in Kunark, we would be unlocking Velious next Wednesday which feels about right even though it could have been sooner.

I'm not looking forward to the next 4.5 weeks of attrition & burnout. It's already started.
  14. Fluid Augur

IMHO and only MHO. It would be better if they added expansion era content then opened expansions faster. That is when the era only allows a maximum level of 50, areas that are level 50 and below from future expansions could be added. Out of the gate Crystal Caverns zone for example. I mean I am really tired of the Unrest leveling treadmill. Doing it yet again for yet another TLP is not on my dance card. I'm a bit weary of leveling too. I have trouble finding the time it takes to level up a character as fast as the fastest players so 3 months seems about right. I also run multiple characters so time spent in game is probably close to the faster leveling characters w/o getting to the highest levels. I mean if I have 8 level 30-50 characters vs one level 60, I've probably spent my fair share of time in the game.
  15. Bullsnooze Augur

How many people would this be and on average what expansion did they retire?

My counter argument to yours is based on my off/on experience on Phinigel from Classic to Reign of Fear were I retired my characters. During my tenure on Phinigel I went from hardcore to casual gameplay a few times. While playing casually the rate of XP and length of expansion meant it was extremely tough to keep up without a significant carry. If it wasn't for this, then I'd still play on Phinigel, but I'd always be behind the curve if some unforeseen circumstance took me away from the game.

Aradune's rate of XP and expansion time means that folks can play at a casual rate and maintain a pretty solid foothold with their characters while limiting burnout. For example, you could literally take a month off, come back, and be right back in the fray to finish up expansional business and have plenty of time before the next unlock.

IMO - Aradune and Rizlona are the sweet spot for all levels of the TLP life cycle - infect I bet these servers will redefine it.
    Overcast451, Thewiz and Fluid like this.
  16. Machen New Member

Err. There is almost no difference between Aradune and Phinigel on the unlock schedule, and only a small difference on XP.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Mrjon3s Augur

The dream unlock
    Classic/kunark 4 months
    velious 3 months
    luclin 3 months
    Pop/Loy/LDoN 4 months
    GoD 3 months
    Omens/Don 3 months
    DoDh/PoR 3 months
  18. Machen New Member

No. This is the worst possible situation. You are skipping time in the good expansions for more time in the bad expansions effectively.

Combine Don with DoDh, not the other way around. Combine PoR with TSS. Problem solved.
    Tymeless and Tweakfour17 like this.
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

Whats the difference between phinny and aradune unlock? Ldon is 2 months.. Anything else get changed?
  20. Tweakfour17 Augur

Could even include PoR in don/DoDH, PoR had a couple fun raids but next to nothing group wise and after the first 2 death knell runs I never want to go there again.

Someone (Skuz I think?) has a thread called TLP God mode that had a pretty good unlock schedule. Probably too hard to program though.