Newb Mistakes? Share Yours!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lockdown, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Lockdown Elder

When I first started playing EQ, Omens was the latest expansion. When my fresh DE Enchanter was just starting out from Neriak, hoping to finally be able to fight his way through Nektulos Forest to the PoK book and visit the Plane of Knowledge I'd heard so much about, I would frequently encounter Undead mobs, and was forced to run back to the guards at the entrance to Neriak where they would destroy the mobs chasing me.

I didn't usually fight Undead. The reason being is that I assumed that my DoTs would be useless against Undead. Based on their description, my DoTs caused asphyxiation. Since Undead don't need oxygen, I simply assumed my DoTs wouldn't work on them.

Obviously, I have since learned that that's not the case, and my DoTs work on Undead as well as anything else.

So, does anyone else have any interesting faulty assumptions they made when just starting out in EQ?
    Fallfyres, Herf, Fanra and 1 other person like this.
  2. Diptera Augur

As a druid, not realising my AE snare spell would include ME in the list of targets...
    Fallfyres, Elyssanda, Fanra and 3 others like this.
  3. Diptera Augur

Being trolled by another player that came up to me and emoted "steals 2 platinum pieces from you", and thought I was genuinely being pickpocketed.
    Fallfyres, Elyssanda, Lisard and 6 others like this.
  4. Eaiana Augur

When I created my Paladin, she was dropped into the world in front of her guild master. I targeted him, fumbled around a bit with key mappings, and hit 'q'. Loading, please wait...
    Fallfyres and Ferriciean like this.
  5. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

My very first mistake with EverQuest was when I was standing in a Best Buy 2 hours from my house, because my mother read bout a video game in a magazine, and we drove to the closest place where you could buy it, and I thought she was insane, but went along to keep her company. That night, as we crowded around the computer, one thing was clear.

We needed to make a second trip, which we did as soon as my dad left for work the next day!
    Fallfyres, Lisard, Fanra and 2 others like this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Here's mine:

I started EQ in the summer of 2000, so at that time, the starting zones were still very well populated. For me, that was Kelethin. I knew there was another city to the SE, but it seemed like a scary trip, with so many mobs that could kill me on the way.

I would periodically see OOC messages "Train to Felwithe". I assumed it was players gathering in groups to protect each other on the way there ;)
  7. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I followed a trail of coins in Freeport and dropped over the ledge into what I would soon discover is a PvP arena. That same character would later go on to hand another player all of his gear to trade to an alt, then I proceeded to log out to server select and log onto a different server and believe I was scammed as the player was nowhere to be found.
  8. Piflet New Member

I was a troll, saw a group killing the grobb guards, I was convinced if I got the kill shot I'd get all the experience. Kept trying to snipe a kill shot, couldn't figure out why my own guards were attacking me.
    Svann2 and Andarriel like this.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

First time I saw someone say OOM I thought it was a chant :)
    Shanarias, Tatanka and Andarriel like this.
  10. Nniki Augur

The people that introduced me to the game had me set up a /yell hotkey on my first character in case I needed help. I ran into a few too many gnoll pups in Qeynos Hills and thought the command would call the nearby guards over to help me. It did not. :p
    Lisard likes this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

I originally played an enchanter and became displeased with the change in how the play changed levels 60-65, so I started looking toward playing an under-played class-- the berserker. I asked around and most people knew absolutely nothing about berserkers except for one thing: Warriors are the "raid tank", paladins are the "cleric tank", SKs are the "necro tank", and Berserkers are the "Melee DPS Tank".

"OK," I thought to myself. "I could be a DPS tank."

When I started playing low-level groups, others had the same impression, but I had trouble grabbing and holding aggro. I used snare at first then switched to stun, but I started complaining to myself that the berserker is a horrible tank without a taunt button.

As it turns out, the berserker is not a tank. Yes, the lore of the berserker is that they are warriors who had forsaken defense for rage-filled offense and a number of the (DPS) abilities are shared between warriors and berserkers, but berserkers are most certainly not tanks.

Once I figured that out, I stopped taking offers to tank groups and offered to just be DPS. Then I learned about goBerserker, paid attention to the Epic Quest (genuinely useful berserker lessons!), and focused on hurting things and minimizing my aggro.
  12. Broozer Augur

You bring up a good point how in the past people misused the word tank to mean any melee.
  13. GamerGramps Journeyman

Easy...

WAAAAY back then, in my first few days of EQ, a mage gave me a weight reduction bag, and since my ranger was always overweight, I put a lot of my extra gear in the bag.

Too bad I didn't know that the bag... and its contents... would go POOF when I logged.
    Ferriciean and Andarriel like this.
  14. Ibudin Augur

newb mistakes still make once in a while?

Furious leap from an emote to get away from the raid, only to hit battle leap and end up right back in the spot I was suppose to run away from.

Dot one self during full burn and insta splat
    minimind likes this.
  15. Eindyina2 Journeyman

Young wizard excited and nervous to be in her first dungeon group, we were deep in and got into trouble and the tank called to evacuate, only I, in my excitement to join a real group I had loaded Gate instead of Lesser evacuate. Talk about embarrassing, I was mortified!

I remember one time a group of us went to plane of fear to get an epic piece. This was before you could summon your corpse and had to manually go find it. We died over and over and over until we lost levels. We had to get a GM to help us get our corpses back. Good old days! LOL
    Ferriciean and minimind like this.
  16. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I killed myself this past Sunday on Red Wedding (ToFS 2) with my own DoT. 458k crit and SPLAT! :eek:

...and yes, that DoT tick made it's way into my linked parse post event.
  17. Celephane Augur

I remember the first night I played, I wasn't really sure what to do when I was done. So I found an empty house with a bed, sat on it and camped.
    Funky and Eindyina2 like this.
  18. Cadira Augur

I remember getting a bag of mage armor on my warrior and replacing some of my gear with it and placing some of my valuables in this nice new shiny 10 slot back i just got.
    Ferriciean, Funky and Dibab like this.
  19. Arborer Lorekeeper

I've done this with any toon capable of buffing. Load up my buff set as we prep in a safe spot and then forget to change it to one of my "fighting" sets when we head out into combat. Really embarrassing when the first pull brings adds and my enchanter has no mezzes loaded. Although now with 13 spell gems I do keep one mez loaded even in my buff set as a precaution. (Yeah, I know enchanter gets AA mezzes nowadays but still gives me peace of mind!)

My warrior uses summoned arrows. Wouldn't you know quite often I start a new session and wonder why no arrows are flying from his bow...

Any toon, I swap out loaded bags into the bank and reload with empty bags. Sure enough, some of those essential clickies are now safely stored in my bank, where I can't use them in a pinch!
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

When I used to raid (~2001), if I got agro during the raid, my excuse would be "well, TANK >is< part of my name!"
    minimind likes this.