Dragging

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Celephane, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Celephane Augur

If I can drag a corpse, why can't I drag an FD character? They shouldn't be much different physically. The mechanics of doing this should be legitimate, I don't think we're using magical abilities to accomplish the former.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  2. Rolaque Ancient

3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are able to drag a corpse to make it easier to rez someone in a safe place and this goes back to when you had to zone with no gear after a rez. You don't need to drag a FD player so they can stand up in a safer place.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Drag Corpse is a low level necromantic magic that everyone can cast. Someone feigning death is not actually dead, therefore not a corpse, and therefore the magic doesn't work.

Because what is NOT magic about a gnome dragging the dead weight of an ogre completely silently?
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

and then they could get a faux rezz.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Rolaque like this.
  6. The real Sandaormo Augur

This would a great answer to the VERY cruddy /autofollow problem. Faint your alts and drag them with you through any terrain!!!!
    Tatanka and Zaray like this.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Something smells exploitive about this.
    Celephane, code-zero and Funky like this.
  8. Mindra New Member

I don't buy the gnome and the ogre as evidence of necromantic magic; all the gnome requires is some rope and a lubricant, they're perfectly capable of carrying as many backpacks full of stuff as any other race.

A corpse is literally dead weight.
    As anyone in theatre rigging knows, the dynamic weight shifts of a living body, no matter how still, are highly unpredictable, and requires a load bearing capacity far exceeding the actual weight of the individual being carried... from multiple anchor points! This can be evidenced by noting that (probably with the assistance of another, presumably fit person) a 180 - 200lb. inanimate object is far easier to carry with a degree of control than a similarly weighted organism.

Now you may be pondering what I said in my opening statement regarding the allegory of the gnome and the ogre. What is all of this about lifting a corpse if one only needs drag it? To that I'd argue that dragging corpses must be some combination of the two, as we're readily able to bring them up the z axis.
    Besides, how much smooth ground do you see in the world? Who cares how many stone steps or rocks and roots you smash the head of your fallen comrade on while dragging their corpse, but if they're merely feigning death; I suspect they'd not only become very displeased with you, but that it would be a very short time before they wincing gave them away.

To Skuz/Waak; I don't think it's particularly exploitive, but this is coming from an old school rogue, and I was very skilled in utilizing my abilities in conjunction with others', or various items, in order to accomplish spotting, CR's, group transportation and occasionally pulling, in ways no other class could have (or that most other rogues didn't have the guts to try).
    It's perfectly reasonable to expect that, with my godly stealth skills and strength, I can move the hefty baggage that is my buffoon of a tank beyond the sight of nearby kos mobs; and whether I do that to a zi or succor point, or deeper into dangerous territory where a rez is awaiting them is neither here or there.
    That being said, for the aforementioned reasons, I think that to do the same with one who is merely feigning dead would require a very unique or high skill set on the FD classes part (who's skills, as far as I've seen, allow them to maintain their ruse only while lying completely still), and on the corpse dragger's part, because performing this feat convincingly would certainly require a special handling of the "corpse" working in tandem with the FD skill.

Exploitive? No. A farce? Maybe.

Now while were on the topic, what does scream exploitive to me is that monks, sk's and necromancers , from day 1, have been able to use their skills to stay safe from all manner of wild animals.
    I mean do you think for a second that if a brown bear, or a Kodiak bear walks by a perceived corpse it would completely ignore it? Maybe if it's getting ready to hibernate in the height of it's fishing season it may determine that a scrawny dark elf or erudite just isn't worth it, but most of the year it's gonna paw the body around and stand on it a little, that is if it doesn't decide to try taking a taste of the hapless toon.
    I think they same can be said for all manner of wolves.
    Get this, I've seen a low level monk get pounced by a lion in NK and FD in order to escape danger. I think that the complete removal of risk from being eaten by the lion (who was clearly hunting, and convinced by the FD), really defines this act as an exploit and should be looked into.

All right I've taken this as far as I can. That is all.

-Mindra Skylarker of the Iksarian Broods, Bertoxx.
    Zamiam, MasterMagnus and Celephane like this.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

Maybe they are so heavy, in order to fit them in the slots of your 100% WR bags, dragging is not really dragging.
    It is just the game glossing over the fact you are cutting them into chunks to load in your 10 backpacks that you somehow wear at the same time.
    And doing that on someone who is FD, vs actual dead would probably make them actual dead.

Edit: New clicky idea. A clockwork corpse diceomatic. Grab a corpse (or an FD player), click it on them. They end up in chunks in your bags. If they were alive at the time, they are no longer.

Carry em where you want, and another click put em back together as a corpse which can then be rezzed or just left there to rot depending on how much you like them.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  10. Celephane Augur

The one flaw I see in this logic is that I can remained feigned, convincingly, even through area effect damage raining down on me. Someone with sufficient skill would be able to refrain from wincing for a period of time.
  11. Celephane Augur

I get that, but it's not my intent with the question. It just seemed to me that I should be able to equally drag either one and wondered if anyone had a logical excuse as to why not.
    MasterMagnus and Skuz like this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Leave it to a gnome to come up with a positively Lillipution myth-buster solution!

[IMG]

Having taken a class in lighting and rigging, and then long ago forgotten most of it, I have nothing but respect for that skill set. Just learning the knot tying is awesome.

Having said that, I'm gonna stick with some magic being involved. As we've focused on dragging the weight. It appears the dragging involves no sound or smell either. :confused:
    Mindra likes this.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

Bag of holding...mystery solved.
  14. Sprained wrist hurts New Member

If I were a developer I would allow the dragging of FD characters, but would also deduct exp for using FD.
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I would think every Mage in EQ dislikes this idea. :)
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

game balance.

But lets just say in Norrath living characters have a magical spell on them that prevents them from being dragged. Voila

or

game balance :)
  17. Flatchy Court Jester

Rogue drags beast and sk to camp in fd , campfire is set. Easy Peasy ?
    Celephane and Sissruukk like this.