Info Needed Server and Client out of sync

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Minbas, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Minbas New Member

Effects of spells seem to be dropping 6-12 seconds before their icons do.
    I have especially observed this with Spirit of Wolf/Selo's, Invisibility, Enduring Breath (including the store's Bottle of Endless Air) where I will slow down, become visible or start running out of breath while the icon was still blinking.
    Kroolhand78, Skuz, Fanra and 7 others like this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I will give a "like" on this post cause I have noticed something similar when my ranger casts FOE (Flight of Eagles) on my chanter alt for about the last month.

It wears off in about half the time that is does on my shaman (yes I know he should be using shaman buff instead;)) , pally, sk or others in the group. The timer on the buff is the same on them all and it was not that a mob stripped the buff - it just drops.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

This has been happening for 2+ years. The server and the client are not synchronized and this is causing all kinds of game play problems.
    Fanra and Fenthen like this.
  4. Tlail Elder

Hello!

For me it seems, that the server(s) and the client are out of sync.

This shows on several occasions. The easiest one to show this is the Wizard AA “Teleport Bind”

I use the AA in the Lobby to gate to Eastern Waste (ToV) and back to the Lobby with “Tertiary Recall”. The reuse of “Teleport Bind” is 5 Minutes.

[Tue Sep 15 07:22:50 2020] You have entered Guild Lobby.
    [Tue Sep 15 07:23:19 2020] You begin casting Teleport Bind I.
    [Tue Sep 15 07:23:30 2020] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
    [Tue Sep 15 07:23:43 2020] You have entered The Eastern Wastes.
    [Tue Sep 15 07:23:53 2020] You can use the ability Teleport Bind again in 1 minute(s) 25 seconds.
    [Tue Sep 15 07:23:57 2020] You begin casting Tertiary Recall.
    [Tue Sep 15 07:24:03 2020] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
    [Tue Sep 15 07:24:14 2020] You have entered Guild Lobby.
    [Tue Sep 15 07:24:20 2020] You can use the ability Teleport Bind again in 3 minute(s) 59 seconds.

So between activating the AA and entering Eastern Wastes we have 14 Seconds, however the timer itself is down by more than 3 Minutes. When gating back to Lobby the timer is back to where it should be.

There are other occasions, where this shows:

When my mercenary dies, there is no 5 Minute countdown timer to be able to revive it. The timer just sits at 0:00 before the button changes to revive.

When I start an Overseer Mission eg a 12h one and I check the timer in the mission after I started it it is already at about 11:50 left … However if I come back early and wait for the timer to tick down to 0:00 it takes 5 – 10 minutes before the quest actually is finished.

Shadowknight AA “Hates Attraction” and Bard AA “Lure Of The Siren’s”. These AA move the mobs to a different location. It seems, that the client and the server think, that the mobs are in different places:

Shadowknight AA “Hates Attraction”:

When I stand, where the client displays the mob I get

[Thu Sep 10 21:43:00 2020] Your target is too far away, get closer!
    [Thu Sep 10 21:43:01 2020] You cannot see your target.

I have to stand, where the mob originally was to be able to hit the mob. When the tank moves the mob, it is set back to were it originally was

Bard AA “Lure Of The Siren’s”

This AA moves all mobs in range to the bard, however it seems most of the time the mobs warp back to the place they originally were.

I play on Antonius Bayle

Disclaimer: Yes, I did check my system time (and the BIOS time). It is within 1 sec of signal from the local atomic clock and it is not just me: the people I usually play with live in different countries and they have the same issues.

Thanks,

Tlail
    cadres, Wulfhere, Brumbaers and 5 others like this.
  5. Raccoo Augur

Noticed similar server/client lag/sync issues on Cazic this weekend and Monday, has been awful. It is like the quick time bug on steroids.

When casting, sometimes spell gems would lock out as they do on refresh, and later the spell casting timer bar would activate and the spell would hit, so spell casting seemed to take longer than normal.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This started for me when TOV went live. Merc timer is never right, and the others always seem off but get worse when you zone.
  7. Rekni New Member

Yes similar Cooldown hickups notices !
  8. Nniki Augur

I sent a PM regarding issues with Lure of the Siren's Song over a year ago, but I didn't hear back at the time. Although, I don't know that the issues surrounding it are entirely syncing issues. I'm not familiar with what's happening in the case of Hate's Attraction, but I feel issues with Lure have some relation to aggro.

If the creatures are after the bard (or mezzed) and the bard hits lure, I find that they will all land on top of the bard, assuming there aren't ceilings for them to bounce off of. If, however, they have any sort of aggro on someone else, I find they'll just fling into the air and land right back where they were previously standing.

This has been happening for the past few (>3?) years now. I'm not sure when exactly it began. I know for certain, in the past, that it used to fling the mobs on top of the bard no matter what, often causing them to summon their targets in the process. I used to help troubled tanks reposition all the time ;).

In regards to syncing, I could consistently reproduce another issue where if there was a charmed pet tanking a creature and the bard used lure, the creature would visually appear as if it had moved, but, in actuality, it remained in the same position. This visual error appeared for others and not just the bard. You would have to move to where it was previously standing to attack it, not where it looked like it's at. I only ever tried with a charmed pet but I'd imagine summoned might experience this too. I haven't tried this recently to see if it's still happening, but I'm assuming it's still an issue.
    niente and Wulfhere like this.
  9. Ratalthor Developer

Are there particular times or days that this happens more frequently? We have not been able to reproduce it internally or on the Live environment.
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Create a level 1 character
    Cast Selo's Accelerating Chorus one time (stop song after buff lands).
    Run forward.
    Notice run speed reverts to normal pace, before buff icon fades, during the last 6-12 seconds of the buff.

Notice that any fading buff lacks caster information (it's already faded from the server).

Cast Jboots.
    Fill all available buff slots with buffs (say 15 total).
    Cast a Darkness (or other snare/dot) on that character.
    After snare/dot fades and icon is gone, notice that the character is still snared.
    Recast Jboots and receive buff icon, notice that the character is still snared.
    Click off Jboots, notice that the character is no longer snared.
    Recast Jboots, notice that the character has correct run speed.

I'm starting to think that the clocks between server (zone) instances are not synchronized. This means that event time stamps passed between those instances are incorrect. The evidence (from Tlail) showing large timer discrepancies for actions committed in one zone, and checked in another zone, is my clue.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This happens to me about every five minutes or so every single time I play. I've posted it before, as it has happened now for many months.

I have an audio trigger telling me when my druid AAs Group Spirit of the Great Wolf or Spirit of the Great Wolf runs out. The trigger goes off between around 6 and 18 seconds before the icon in the buff window goes away. If I cast the other one at that time, it fails since the previous buff is still on me.

The same is true for the druid spell Sustaining Growth. I get the audio trigger that it has worn off but the buff remains in my buff window for seconds more.

I was positive I had filed a bug report on this months ago, but I can't find it.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Ok, since this happens 24/7 for me, I've made a video to show you. I had to switch to the Default UI just for this, so I could avoid anyone saying it was my custom UI.

Video Link:
    https://everquest.fanra.info/fanra/video/EverQuest 2020-10-06 17-57-08.mp4

Video Timeline:
    9 seconds: Cast Spirit of the Great Wolf XXV AA
    4:12: Emote in the Chat 1 chat box in the upper left of the video: "The Spirit of the great wolf leaves you." With 4 seconds left on the buff in the buff window.

As shown in the video, the buff had 4 seconds left to run when the game emoted it was done. Sometimes it is more than 4 seconds.

Bertoxx server.

Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you track this down.

By the way, this was my first attempt to record this, so it isn't that I tried it 20 times before this happened. It always happens.
  13. Soulbanshee Augur

Is your clock sync'd with time.windows.com? Try changing it to pool.ntp.org. Is it accurate to the second? https://time.gov/
    Fanra likes this.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

https://time.gov/

Your Device's Clock (UTC-4)
    Today: 10/06/2020
    06:51:53 P.M.

Your clock is off by:
    +0.638 s
  15. Soulbanshee Augur

That's kind of a big drift even though it's less than a second. Any idea how old your CMOS battery is? May need replacing. Theres a little variance for me as the CMOS clock isn't extremely accurate, but this is what I am seeing:

Your clock is off by:
    +0.028 s
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The CMOS battery is less than a year old about a year and a half old (edited after double checking). Using Windows 10 to "Synchronize your clock" I get:

Today: 10/07/2020

04:42:59 P.M.

Your clock is off by:
    +0.520 s

So, I don't think the CMOS battery matters when I check it right after synchronizing. I've been using time.windows.com. I'll try it now with time.nist.gov:

Today: 10/07/2020

04:46:33 P.M.

Your clock is off by:
    +0.543 s

So, if the half second or so matters, then this seems to be a Windows issue. I'm not sure why Windows can't manage to synchronize better than that. Of course, this is assuming that the information from https://time.gov/ is correct.

In any case, while I would like my PC clock to be more accurate, I don't think this affects the buff timer issue.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Going by the instructions in the link, the only thing that needed changing was the Windows Time service. So I've just changed it from Manual (Trigger Start) to Automatic (Trigger Start). There is no way for me to remove the (Trigger Start), if I wanted to, as it adds it.

Again, when I synchronize it manually with the Windows "Synchronize your clock", it still is off by about a half second. So I have no idea how to improve it further.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Ok, I see there is a new BIOS for my motherboard. I'll give that a try.
  20. Nennius Curmudgeon

Which begs the question of whether or not greater accuracy is actually needed by most of us. I understand that a GPS, for instance, needs a higher level of precision, but how much does this affect more typical uses of a computer?

Edit. "Your clock is off by: +0.113 s"

Curious. I don't expect to lose any sleep over it, but it makes me wonder what causes the variations.

P.S. Can the forums be made slower? They still are allowing posts in less than glacial time and that would seem to indicate that the forum genie needs to get busy and slow them down further.
    Yinla likes this.