C'Mon...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SilentSnob, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Captain Video Augur

As I understand how Steam works, the behind-the-scenes costs are already being paid just to have the store page up and the ability to download the launcher direct from Steam. Keeping their page up-to-date and using the News feature is entirely at the discretion of the game's publisher.

Yes, there is further integration besides the overlay. You can pay for your sub using your Steam wallet. You can set that to be auto. DCUO actually sells its expansions, and bundles of expansions, as Steam DLC, which then get registered to your DBG account. EQ1 >used< to sell expansions through the Steam store, but stopped that after VoA, no idea why; it could have been because of the notorious Steam commission. It just happened to coincide with when the game went F2P. Smokejumper once posted in the old SOE EQ2 forums, in a response to a question from me (and no I don't have proof, those forums are long-gone, d'oh), that the team had all necessary info to add Steam achievements, it was just some ways down on the to-do list at the time. One-person indie devs launch games with Steam achievements every day, so it can't be that hard.
    Vumad and MasterMagnus like this.
  2. Riou EQResource

They sold them in EoK as well, but then people mass bought keys from in cheaper currencies, sold them via 3rd parties for like 1/4 the price of the real one (due to the expac codes being like 5$ in other currencies), then mass charge backed all of them
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  3. Captain Video Augur

That would do it. Steam region-locks their game keys for AAA titles now, but then people use VPNs to spoof their region, and then Steam uses logic not unlike our own Truebox code to try and spot the VPNs, and then... etc etc. There are times when I miss life in the '70s.
  4. Nniki Augur

Captain Video likes this.
  5. Captain Video Augur

Nniki likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Steam takes a cut of the profits of any game that is bought on steam or the subscription that is purchased for games downloaded from steam so there is always going to be a costs of less revenue from those subs.
  7. Captain Video Augur

But they're already making the subscriptions available via Steam, they've been doing that for several years. If they're willing to pay the Steam commission, which apparently they are, why not do the easy and zero-cost step of having one of the customer relations staff update the store page?
    Svann2 likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If steam takes money from the subscription would it not make sense that they want to drive people towards the EQ site instead of steam?
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  9. Nniki Augur

Here's the PCGamesN article where they interviewed Holly on the topic of using distribution services such as Steam and Epic:
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Captain Video Augur

Holly isn't the producer anymore. It looks particularly odd since the studios split, since they still have the same publisher, and DBG is clearly supporting the other studios having a presence on Steam. (In addition, DBG is publisher for DDO and LOTRO, which also have a presence on Steam.) That makes EQ the proverbial ugly sister. It's unprofessional and lazy to have the EQ Steam store page there for all to see, but have it falsely state that the upcoming expansion is Burning Lands, and the level cap is 110. If they're not going to do it right, they'd be better off just taking it down.

On the other hand, perhaps the expansion news being sought by the OP is going to be... it's all being rolled back, and ToV was just a dream...
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

She may not be the producer anymore but I don't think it was just her opinion on sharing money with steam or other game platforms.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Captain Video Augur

It was never her decision, that's the publisher's decision. The entire game industry works that way. In any case, when EQ1 and its new F2P were added to the Steam store, Holly wasn't the producer then either, Smokejumper was, and his attitude towards Steam was 100% the opposite of Holly's, as was documented in the EQ2 forum thread of mine quoted above. None of us really knows what the publisher's plan is going forward for EQ marketing, if anything. The current Steam store page is as I described, and it needs to be updated. Perhaps when they are ready to announce the next expansion?
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

If that were true then why have it sold thru steam at all? Also, not trying very hard to sell on steam isnt the same as "driving" sales over to the EQ site.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I heard wow next expansion was delayed hoping everquest's isnt.

Andarriel