Selo exp caps are too low

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by theonepercent, Sep 7, 2020.

1. theonepercent Augur

Just to be clear I'm fairly certain no one who actually plays on Selo wants increased expansion lengths at this point.

A big part of this problem seems to just be a ton of people don't know /calendar exists.
  2. Drampire New Member

Then what do you want? Auto-grant 1 expansion behind? 5x AA bank? Hey we can't flag for the end zone before the next expansion comes out. Can you give us triple flags? Hey we want 15 aa per mob so we only have to play for 30min a day. Gotta get those AA's I'll never even click just so we can be complete!!

Not saying I'd care one way or another about unlock times NOW on selo as we are basically into live territory anyway, which, who knows what will even happen to the server. And obviously it wouldn't make sense to do that on a server with 17 people left. It's just something that needs to be looked at for the future tlps with the mindset of maintaining population instead of pushing everyone to restart early.
  3. Pikollo Augur

Not sure why you are acting like people are crying for things. For the most part people just want Selo to be Selo with the exception of removing chokes. TBH if a server has 1 month unlocks then everything should be adjusted that way. 12x the xp, 12x the flags, 12x the loot. At 3 month unlocks make it 4x everything. One day on Selo is like 12 days on live so why not right?

That of course is an extreme scenario but generally speaking nothing on Selo, or any 3 month TLP, should match what happens on live. TLP's don't have 12 months. And if you like 12 month expacs then play live.

Bottom line for this thread is. If you kill a mob on Selo that should give you 10aa, but only get 5 like live, then that is obviously a waste of the selo ruleset. The reason people play here.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Drampire New Member

Because at what point is it going to be just like auto grant? If the AA kill cap on selo doubled you're going to be having groups pull 500-600+ AA in a 30min lesson. At that rate you probably won't remember the last 10 things you picked up anyway. Maybe boost the solo xp if that's more what we're talking about here.
  5. Pikollo Augur

With the cap raised/removed (whatever they could do, if anything) I don't think we'd be getting 10aa a kill. At least not right now in our current expansion. With the holiday bonus we were getting a little over 4 and lesson capped it at 5. So with holiday bonus we may hit the 10 but on an average day, with lesson, not so. But for S&G's lets say mobs do give 10aa during a lesson burn. And lets say you can kill 40 mobs (one every 45 seconds). Thats 400 aa. In EoK it would take roughly 27.5 (assuming 11kaa) lesson burns. So that is basically the life of that expansion and technically a year's worth of leveling.

All of that aside you seem to forget this is Selo not live. If it were 500-600aa in a lesson that is what we signed up for. We are here because we want that. No different then the truebox crowd wanting to keep truebox cuz they signed up to play on a truebox server.
    theonepercent likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You're making out like Selo is getting free AA or something, which is why I ask if you even play there earlier in the thread, you don't have first hand knowledge of what those players are contending with. Live servers get 12 months to do all the stuff for any expansion in era now TLP get much shorter time for each expansion they work through.

It's simple mathematics, when your server has 12x the live speed of unlocks everything else has got to be sped up to account for that MUCH shorter time to achieve what any live server does.

The players on Selo are only able to kill mobs at the same speed as live but they have to be given more experience & aa to keep pace with the unlocks, if you steadfastly refuse to comprehend why that is necessarry you should bow out of the conversation & go get some remedial maths skills.

There are 2 solutions either the experience must be increased or the rate at which players can kill must be increased - the second is simply unworkable due to the global code nature fo the required changes for that & even if it were possible that would impact playtstyle far too negatively to be remotely viable, that leaves the xp rate - and the issue becomes where the players are running up against AA caps during bonus periods reducing the value of that bonus xp to almost nothing - that's happening on live let alone on selos.

Your objection seems to be at odds with the reality its like you want the players on any server to have to kill as many mobs as live players and to only progress as fast yet that's simply not how the TLP are designed.
    Faster unlocks should change almost all of the parameters for character advancement to match that unlock speed. That right there is where your mental block is at.
    Tweakfour17 and theonepercent like this.
  7. Drampire New Member

Aww did we resort to that already? (post-edit)

You're just looking at it through common core math and missing the point that it is still a time locked PROGRESSION server. Should Aradune and all other 3 month servers have 4x the gains of live also? If you think not then your point is already skewed.

The only thing that should be considered is bumping the cap to allow for the 150% while ignoring xp bonuses. What you're asking for is a change from only a few zones where npcs can regularly hit the xp cap, to probably 10 zones.

And yes, I play on selo, since that seems to be this threads go to response for anyone with a position differently than yours. But if you are an example of the quality of character that has stuck around, then maybe it's time to jump ship.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I play on Phingel, says so in my sig, but I extrapolated the math from what Phinigel sees.

There is precedent too, flags & keys for a TLP on 12/8 weeks unlocks has most of the post-HoT content either doubling the raid-keys or raid-flags granted per event beaten or has reduced the requirements significantly, doing so to a greater degree on Selo.

I have not missed the Progression part of that equation at all, I have been playing through the progression on each expansion since I started on my current server in Gates of Discord.

Only very few people have been calling for some direct unlock-rate equivalence, the vast majority have taken a factored approach to the numbers such as these examples that were requested by most of the community:

6 Month unlocks - no changes to xp/flags/loot drops
    3 month unlocks - 2x keys/flags
    1 month unlocks 3x flags/keys - that Selo has halved unlock speeds takes care of the other 3x for a total of a 6x increase flags & keys vs live.

If that was perfectly reasonable, and given the devs changed things to better meet (or even exceed in some cases) those requests then I don't see why adjusting the AA XP CAP so that Selo AA XP is not less than the increase others get during a bonus is not, technical limitations aside, the bonus should be as valuable to Selo players as it is to any player on any other server and have the comensurate increase in XP anyone else gets.

That would be a classic example of cutting off your own nose to spite your face I think, whatever you judge my character to be it shouldn't influence your decisions to that extent, unless you are weak-minded & petty, but you aren't are you?
  9. FranktheBank Augur

I don't really know what Drampire is arguing.

There is a cap of 5.xx AAs (we are guessing like 5.25-5.5) from any 1 mob kill. So if we kill a mob, get 4 AAs, then pop a lesson, kill the same mob and get 5.5 (or w/e) AAs, how is that not broken? I understand that other servers have had this issue for a bit. The reason Selo is complaining is because we are on a much shorter time table.

Fixing it for all servers would fix it for Selo, which is fine. We aren't asking for ONLY Selo to be fixed. We are just asking for a solution that includes Selo being fixed.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. yodo Augur

Can we really trust Frank's opinion on AAs tho? I mean he has more than 2x the amount of AA than Paladins can spend and he somehow still isn't capped.
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

5 AA a kill is plenty. The cap doesn't need to be raised.

You guys act like you need to be max AA in 30 days. You don't. Most of the AAs aren't even worth buying. Any given expansion the number of important AAs is like 1/10th of the total.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They are about to hit EoK which brought in over 10 k AA. They were high priced and contained things like synergy and focus AAs.

On a server that is supposed to have higher exp than else where, having the cap defeats the purpose of that bonus. EoK was the expansion with the least AAs not worth purchasing.

I know EOK was the only expansion in 20 years that I wasn't max AA after a year and they have 30 days.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

On Phinigel the AAXP was around 1-2 AA per kill, selo should be getting 3 with their base aaxp rate & 6 with the double xp bonus but they get capped at 5.

They get an expansion per month so they have 1/12 the time a live server has to work through a modern expansion so I think you are missing the point that they get less of the bonus than other servers in that era would have as a result of the cap.

And yes they absolutely should be able to be max aa in 30 days if they are playing pretty much every day for 4-5 hours a day, 30 days on Selo is literally equivalent to 12 months on Live by design.
  14. theonepercent Augur

Maybe for some lame class but for most that's just complete nonsense.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Korea numbah3 Elder

Closer to half of them being important. In eok there are over 3000 trade skill AA. Must have them by end!

Roughs:
    Tbm. :. 2000
    Eok. :. 11000
    Ros, :. 5000
    Tbl, :. 3500
    Tov, :. 6000
    EoL, :. 18500

Why push so close to end for increase anyway.
  16. Korea numbah3 Elder

That being said. Would it be better and with less dev time if selo was just given a 50% bonus for the month of EOk? The other expansions listed do not need faster rates at all.
  17. Pikollo Augur

The main point is the cap is broken for us. If Selo was intended to do content in a month then there should be no blocks in place to do that. You don't HAVE to have every aa every month but some of us like to and we play to get it. Someone mentioned after a year of EoK they were not maxed on live and we'd be competing with that if the cap is not changed. Selo is supposed to be casual not a second job.

The bottom line is we all know this is true. That for Selo's ruleset (XP bonus) to be true then there cannot be a choke at the aa cap. This takes away from what Selo is and why we play here. Its just a matter of do the devs care to change the cap?
  18. Beimeith Lord of the Game

They do have higher base exp than else where. That they are able to hit to cap (something pretty hard to do on live outside of named or having RAF bonus) illustrates that point.

No, EoK was the expansion with the MOST AAs not worth purchasing.

Dozen+ focus lines and most classes only use like 4 of them 95% of the time.

Thousands of tradeskill AAs when very few people are anywhere close to having the number of recipes learned to make use of them.

I know how caps work. It's possible (though rare) to hit the cap on live too. I'm not missing the point. I'm saying that you don't need to be max AA in 30 days, even if you play 4-5 hours a day, and it was never "by design" that you could either.

There's not some special calculation designed to have you finish in 30 days. They picked 30 days out of a hat, or w/e and Selo has a double exp bonus, that's all. The AA bonus wasn't even intended. It was only added after the fact because people complained about it. And from what I remember, it *already was faster* without the added bonus but people didn't realize it at the time because most of them don't know how slow original AA was and thus have a distorted view of what the real rate is vs the inflated base rate everyone gets.

I may have lowballed it a bit, but it's hardly as many as you guys are all suggesting.

It's not "broken." A cap is a cap. You can (on rare occasion) hit the cap on live too.

It wasn't "intended that you do content in a month." The content is there. The unlock period is a month. Whether you can do all the content in that time is up to you. And you have bonus exp.

And I could name a number of people who were max AA in EoK in less than a month and they didn't have Selo's bonus exp either.

The cap in no way makes Selo's ruleset "untrue." The cap has always been there, and there is one on regular exp per kill too.

You should be able to get around 300 AA during a lesson burn on Selo. Playing 30 minutes a day only, that's 9000 AA in 30 days. That is absolutely enough to get every class every AA worth having and then some. Play more than 30 minutes and you should be cap out fairly easily.

4-5 hours a day? If you can't max AA playing 5 hours a day on Selo right now, the problem isn't the exp rate.
  19. Verb New Member

I think what you’re lobbying for and your expectations may be blown out of proportion. If the devs look at the data from phinigel progressing through eok, specifically in relation to exp gains, I HIGHLY doubt you’ll get the bone you’re lobbying so hard for. I hit 30k+ AA on phini 08/30, just over 2 weeks after unlock, this could have been accomplished roughly twice as fast if you wanted to min/max group comps and schedule and use marketplace pots.

That being said, doing such isn’t reasonable, however... We were thinking we wouldn’t have time for this or that etc before EOK unlocked on phini, just to discover, while the raid progression issue was still a problem, as a community we were easily able to overcome the AA/progression/augs farm. Eok mobs give a huge amount of exp and out of the 13500 aa for my class(sk), about 5k of those were optional or useless fluff. If you take phini as an example, a large portion of the players were capped or close to capped within a month with all progression and raids completed. The more casual players finished by end of xpac, while the hardcore crowd had everything done in 2 weeks, and went back to raidlogging. The super casual crowd... Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t... wait, they actually have to login for that....

I don’t particularly like the 5aa cap limit that is in place either and while tlp and live are very different animals, be careful what you wish for. If ppl are already capped, on aa/progression/raids in 2-6 weeks and raid logging, imagine how much that could be accelerated by removing all the roadblocks..
  20. Pikollo Augur

Hitting the 5 aa cap on TBM trash mobs with vitality. Wasted xp.
    Skuz likes this.