Everquest and For the King similarities.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Strawberry Augur

Heya,

(So, small disclaimer, I am not affiliated with this game in any way, I am not trying to promote it)

Anyway I was trying out this game called For the King. It's a game from 2018 that is included in game pass, which is how I discovered it. I think people said it was free on Epic Store one day, it costs money on Steam and nintendo Switch though.

It's not an MMO though, it's either a solo adventure or co-op.

The art style is so cute and the gameplay is pretty fun. I'm surprised how much it resembles Everquest at times, you have many class overlaps. You have the tank (blacksmith), ranger (hunter), minstrel (bard), healer (herbalist), monk, etc.

It is turn based, so the aggro the tank generates counts for the next turn for example. You can buff characters for the next turn, set up defense, do group heals, play bard songs, etc.

You get the feeling you're actually a tank in the game and you taking the hits really matter, unlike many other games and MMO I played where the tank is kinda watered down.

Since it is turn based, you can just take a break and the game will just be there 30 minutes later.

Anyway, I just wanted to say this, if you're bored waiting for raid, or whatever.

Tell me what you think of the graphics btw. Cute? Too childish? Anyway.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

No comment on the gameplay, but I dig the "low poly artstyle". :)

Photorealism is slightly overrated imo...
  3. Maedhros High King

Looks like old Final Fantasy more than EQ by far to me.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Not a great fan of the graphics, game play looks very much like many facebook games out there.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have enjoyed a good few tactical turn-based RPG's over the years:

Front Mission, Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts, X-Com, Hero Quest, Space Hulk

These tended towards High Fantasy or Sci-Fi themes & stragegy based gameplay rather than the more child-friendly look in the game you highlight here, so I don't think the aesthetics appeal to me at all.

The classes might give you an EQ vibe, I can see that, but this looks like more typical Final Fantasy APB combat & similarly styled combat found in other JRPG such as Wild Arms, Suikoden, Chrono-Trigger, Secret of Mana etc.
    Duder likes this.
  6. Duder Augur

My favorite non-EQ game. UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown of course. The new ones were cool but could not compare to the first. TFTD was great too, very difficult.
    Skuz and Cicelee like this.
  7. Cicelee Augur

I remember when X-Com came out for the PS1 when I was in college. My roommate and I at the time took turns playing that game 44 of the next 48 hours. Skipped class, barely slept, that game hooked us hardcore.

Will never forget that gaming experience
    Skuz and Duder like this.
  8. Stephen51 Augur

quote="Cicelee, post: 3969136, member: 2025"]I remember when X-Com came out for the PS1 when I was in college. My roommate and I at the time took turns playing that game 44 of the next 48 hours. Skipped class, barely slept, that game hooked us hardcore.

Will never forget that gaming experience[/quote]

Slight derail, but if you liked X-Com, you may be interested in where it all came from, take a look at this article on Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebelstar .

I never played Rebelstar Raiders, which was the original game, but it was revamped and released as Rebelstar in 1986 in the UK for 1.99 which even at the time was cheap!

My friends and I would divide into teams, defenders and attackers, on a Sunday afternoon and play this for what seemed years!

If you can download it (and there will be sites for sure) its a fun little game, as well as Chaos,a wizard strategy game, which was you and up to 7 opponents (computer controlled and/or human opponents) in an arena, with a random set of spells. The variety of spells (got a spell for a golden dragon? arguably the toughest mob in the game, you can cast it but there is only a 40% chance it will be successful, of course you can cast it as an illusion for 100% but one of your opponents can always cast disbelieve on it) and random bag you got at the start, meant it had some longevity (I may even go looking for a version now...).