Hadden (and respecting camps)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by EchoFreya, Sep 29, 2020.

1. EchoFreya Lorekeeper

This comment came your way after you attempted to infer that a person is breaking the Rules by watching Netflix, or working from home, at the same time as they are playing doing something as low-key as camping a singular mob on a 5 hour spawn timer.

Just because some people don't approach the game in the same way that you do doesn't mean their approach is wrong. Some people prefer a more casual approach than you do, but passing judgement on someone who does things differently makes you biased.

You have every right to not group with someone who doesn't play your way, just as much as they have a right to play their way without your approval. Provided neither of you are breaking any rules, there are numerous play styles that apply to this game, most of which are totally legitimate.

You continue to claim I wasn't paying attention to my screen, which was simply not true. I lost a DPS race from an inconsiderate person who didn't like the fact that he wasn't the first person there. If this situation were different than what I have described, I wouldn't have been inspired to make this thread. I am perfectly fine with not being "first", and I am patient and considerate enough to wait my turn.

I remained at that camp for 2 more Hadden spawns, and Jonee was at one of them. I may not have lightning speed reflexes, but they died within moments of spawning (as would have the first Hadden, had I not been unexpectedly DPS-raced by a hidden yet very sour Druid). He knew what he was doing at the time was wrong, and coming here trying to backpeddle, make excuses for himself, alter the facts around the events, and attempt to shift blame on the person he knows he treated poorly is pretty telling of his character. A genuine apology would have gone a long way, but at this point I highly doubt it would be sincere.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

In your first post you said you noticed out of the corner of your eye that he killed the mob. Thats not a DPS race, a DPS race is when you are both doing damage and whoever gets the most wins. At best its a Killsteal but as others have pointed out, DPG doesn't recognize camps and neither do alot of players, especially on highly contested and desired named. To be fair, most people who logged in to see a mage (who has the ability to cast EB) sitting at the Hadden spawn and not doing anything would just nuke the mob and keep going anyways since 9/10 they are afk farming to sell.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Live servers are much more respectful of camps. Not completely and we do get bad folks from TLP as well as good who want to carry over the foolishness to Live servers but for the most part the community still believes in the Play Nice rules.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Disagree. It is much more prevalent on TLP servers. Why? Because new servers start up with players needed ALL items. It makes for a much more profitable place for RMT people who are just there to make money. They don't care about player communities whatsoever. Live servers would be the same position EXCEPT they do not have such a large market for the RMT folks. Since for many years they have been mature markets they havent been as attractive to those looking to make RL cash out of the game. Most of those folks head for TLP servers to make the most cash.

Live servers attract fewer greedy RMT folks because there isnt nearly as much money to make there.

There are a lot of great things about TLP servers but one thing you are stuck with is a lot of people needed a lot of various gear. People will be much more competitive because everyone needs the items all at once. You can still have a great time on TLP servers but you have to accept there will be some negative aspects to brand new servers over more mature (i.e. been around for a long time) servers.

I guess it all depends on what is most important to a player. New TLPs have tons of players with that comes more competition even if you leave out the RMT crowd.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  5. Stix Man Elder

What a weird complaint on Rizlona.

On a server where there are enough people boxing 10-40 toons that I imagine that spot was perma camped by someones 20th necro/mage that did nothing but sit there 24/7 during classic... Why would anyone try to claim they are camping it.

You don't camp a 5 hour spawn with no placeholder and not 100% drop rate.

No one cares that you did absolutely nothing but leave 1 account logged on for 5 hours.

Camps mattered because effort was put in. You clear the placeholder, it's your camp. That does not count Hadden.It also mattered because it wasn't a problem where 1 person was camping 10 different camps at once.

Back in the day, it wasn't as contested, people had lives, there were fewer "farmers". Nowadays there are too many farmers who don't mind sitting 1 of their 20 toons on that spawn. On top of that, automation is much more common now. Someone can be watching a movie, in another room, and kill Hadden the second he spawns.

So, you don't mind if someone camps Hadden 24/7 because they are at the camp first?

Lucky for you, there are people who don't let botters squat at a camp 24/7 just because "they were there first". Otherwise, every spot would be perma camped by bots that don't log off. And, you just have to go find a camp that isn't worth their time.... Sounds REALLY FUN... not.
  6. EchoFreya Lorekeeper

Picture this: Computer monitor (left screen) is placed directly beside laptop, which is elevated and placed directly to the right of the computer monitor. I was looking at the computer monitor screen when Hadden spawned, but out of the corner of my eye I can see all movement on the laptop screen, like Hadden spawning. Just as I was grabbing my mouse to send my pet, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a flash of red (the first Druid nuke). I didn't know what just happened, so I froze up a second in bewilderment. When I turned my character around, I saw the druid, and sent him a tell. He poofed a few seconds later (camped). I was blindsided by what had just happened.

The druid nuked the second Hadden spawned. I had no idea the spawn was contested, because he didn't announce himself and when I set up camp I was the only person in the zone. My tell window didn't go up, and /say was obscured on my UI. I didn't see his taunting comments in /say until after he logged out.

Does that help clear it up for you?

To assume I'm botting and intending to sell an item because of what class I am playing is an assumption, and it is biased. That is never OK. For the record, neither of these scenarios applied in this situation.

If I walk into a camp area and see someone else there, I don't waltz up and start killing things. That's an incredibly inconsiderate thing to do. At the very least, I'll send them a POLITE tell and give them a few minutes to respond, but more often than not I go find something else to do.

I am confounded that so many people seem to believe that I am in the wrong for expecting others to have the same amount of consideration that I would have for them.
  7. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yup.
    You did 0 DPS, so not a DPS race. No one is under any obligation to announce they've entered the zone or they intend to contest you. He logged in, saw the mob was up and unengaged with a class that can cast EB standing around doing nothing so he engaged.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  8. Loze Elder

Do you post just to read your own words? I can't think of one thing you've ever said that was even remotely helpful or informative. You live to condescend. Contrary is your natural state, methinks.

If you hadn't noticed, this thread is about sitting on a boring camp (no such thing) for hours on end, not grouping in your amazing min-max powergaming ubergroup.

Besides, being in your group would probably be hours of misinformation, lies, your weird views of the world, and everything taken out of context, so no thanks.

It doesn't take a whole lot of skill to rotate my computer chair away from my TV to look at my screen every couple of minutes. I spent 5 hours doing just that camping the circlet last weekend on Aradune. Every 15 minutes or so, I kill 4 or 5 mobs, then back to my stories, as my grandmother used to call 'em.

I wasn't AFK. My AFK flag never popped up. My druid box's AFK flag never popped up.
  9. Captain Video Augur

My last post on this subject (with a nod to all the applause). I'm not judging you or anyone else here, that aspect is all in your head. You are challenging a published rule and saying it's not really a rule, that the actual rule is what you think it should be based on your playstyle. Several players, not just me, have said you're the one who has it wrong. Reflect on that. As for your multi-tasking, maybe I'm expressing a prejudice, but if so it's one shared by many, many other players. At the very best, it's still a he-said-she-said thing as to whether it was a KS or you were just not paying attention. There is neither video evidence nor combat log evidence.

Ironically, I think going after an EB item is a complete waste of time anyway. I can't think of a single encounter up through PoP that can't be done as long as you've kept your swimming skill at max per level. It takes a whole lot less time to skill up swimming than it does to wait out a random drop on a six-hour timer.
  10. Ruhi Augur

I disagree. I'm lazy though, and I love kedge keep. It's one of my favorite zones. Gotta big brain it through. Camp something else, or kill hg's for a bit - buy a rebreather if you want worn EB
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

You know, all the other wrong things you've said over the course of the past couple months on these forums I've just taken as someone that maybe doesn't play EQ that much but likes to act like they do (idk why, weird clout chasing maybe)?. But even you can't shrug this one off as "misremembering". You can't think of ANY raid encounters or ANY epic fights that might take place underwater? Maybe deep underwater?

I'm on to your game now, and I'm not playing anymore.
    Xyroff-cazic. and Loze like this.
  12. EchoFreya Lorekeeper

Last time I checked, 0 was a number.

As for the rest of your post, I disagree if we are applying a couple of the expectations outlined within 1.1 Play Nice Policies - Activity within Everquest.

The night before this druid attempted to bribe me away, and when unsuccessful he tried next to manipulate me by convincing me why I didn't need the item. After several minutes of this unwanted exchange, he ultimately resorted to language that implied intent towards a DPS race against me. This is Harassment.

The next day, this same druid shows up and makes good on his threat from the night before. He logged in, didn't announce himself, concealed himself behind my back and around a shed, then fired upon Hadden the second that he spawned. He harassed me again with the taunting comments in /say.

I am posting here, because I feel that while these rules are respected by most people on this server, there is a clear problem with people who do not. This is an example of that problem, but it is by no means the first (or the worst) example of situations that I have encountered with antisocial players.

I am also posting here to outline the problem associated with server staff who have taken a "hands off" approach with their expectation that "players are able to resolve these kinds of problems on their own". Clearly, there are a few problem players who have no inclination to resolve problems on their own, and instead resort to antisocial solutions that are contributing to a spiralling toxic decline in the community (which apparently began 5 years ago).

I don't feel every situation needs to be investigated, but if a few examples are made, perhaps toxic players will be less inclined to behave this way.
  13. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

You actually did see staff input. I quoted it several posts ago, and you replied to it. I'll quote it again:

-There will be no first in force or engage rules arbitrated or enforced by a Game Master or Guide on any server.

That's written by the staff. You being at the camp first does not entitle you to anything. It's extremely easy to understand. I'm not sure what further "clarity" you are hoping to elucidate from this discussion. It's already been made clear years ago by this policy being written, and by years of this policy being in place on every server. There's nothing left to clear up.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

Accusing other players of wrongdoing without basis for it...hmm..attempting to make a punitive petition against someone for not respecting your camp.
  15. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

They need to speak to a manager Xyroff.
    Bardy McFly and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

Easy thread of the week winner. Potentially best of october.
    Bardy McFly, Loze and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  17. Loze Elder

Maybe in a keep with a particularly surly Kedge in it?

What about on the moon, where the kitties are. Might come in handy there too.

Remember when I said that other thing about watching TV was against the rules was the dumbest thing I ever read? I thought he had beaten it with his next post, but I KNOW he beat it with that one.
  18. EchoFreya Lorekeeper

Last time I checked, harassment is considered wrongdoing (this is actually a point in that list). You either don't know what that word means, or are deliberately deflecting the issue.
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

You're the one via your own admission that threatened a /petition against another player because you don't like the way the game is setup now. PNP/FTE is no longer a thing, the company doesn't recognize camps, lots of players don't recognize camps. This has been pointed out to you numerous times in this thread and you deliberately ignore it. Who's deliberately deflecting the issue?
  20. EchoFreya Lorekeeper

I can read. Some of this is written in the ToS and Rules of Conduct. I am challenging this new "hands off" customer service approach, as is my right as a paying customer who expects similar customer service experience that this game once provided. From what I have discovered reading up on this issue, it was these "changes" towards a hands-off approach which have led to the toxicity (DPS racing, not respecting 'camps' anymore, etc.).

It isn't my problem that this game is now under new management, but if they expect me to pay the same more dollars for each subscription, I should be able to expect at least the same level of service (something that P99 can provide a by staff who makes nothing, no less).