Fixed Internally chat channels, friends list still missing

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Scila, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Jennre Band Leader

Mine are still down. This is kind of a big issue
    Zunnoab and Elyssanda like this.
  2. Scila Augur

Mine came back today - looks like they're working thru it :)
  3. Elyssanda Bardbrain

still down on both accounts.
  4. xcitng Augur

mine are still down too
  5. dreamweaver Community Manager

It's still an ongoing issue that platform is working through.
    Zunnoab and xcitng like this.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

Mine last for 3-4 minutes after zoning. Then chat channels are dead.
  7. xcitng Augur

yay!! i got everything back ;) dreamweaver, please tell the guys doing the fixing ty soo much!
  8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

10 days of feeling alone and mute..
    Chauliodus likes this.
  9. Chauliodus New Member

I know how it feels, I found that I rely so much on the chat working and my friend lists visual queue's that I have hardly chatted with any cross server people or friends since the chat broke, because I can't see if they are online anymore. Its way too annoying and inconvenient to make hotkeys with every cross server friend name going "test" and obsessively trying to send a tell to see if they are around lol.

The ones I have gotten through to have wondered where i've been because I chat a lot more when I can actually see my friends online!

Hope its fixed soon with full functionality brought back to everything that broke and isn't working the way it was pre-patch/chat maintenance.
  10. Rondor Augur

While the chat issue in this thread is being fixed, I'm wondering how does one normally go about seeing if anyone in the friends list is online on another server or even on the same server? Or how to get an automatic notification when they login?

I know of the "/who friends all" command but this is typed manually, rather than getting an automatic notification of some sort. I don't know if it works cross-server.

I know of the "/announce on" command that lets me know when any people - not just those on my friends list - join or leave a uchat channel I am currently in such as general-chat, but it doesn't show me anything if the friend logs in but does not join a channel I am in.

Thank you.
  11. Elyssanda Bardbrain

if you look at your friends list and have added people with servername.charactername, it won't show on /who friends all command but it will move their names to the top of the list in your friends window..

right now my friends window shows
    Luclin.friend1
    Luclin.friend2
    Xegony.friend3
    Xegony.friend4
    and then the friends on my server are listed next
    Rondor likes this.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

any word? it's said *In Progress* for 2 days..
  13. Bigstomp Augur

My channels last for about 2-3 minutes after I zone.

Then they become dead.
    Celephane likes this.
  14. Rondor Augur

For anyone recently experiencing chat channels stopping after 2 to 3 minutes, maybe it's a variation of the NAT router UDP timeout effect.

Try this just to see if it helps you. No guarantees but is something to try:

/join general
    /announce on

Join one or more channels that either have a lot of discussion in them, and also turn on the "/announce on" feature that reports when people join and leave the channel. For example do "/join general" and also "/announce on". This helps to ensure that there isn't a long silent period from the uchat server to your EQ client. You can filter whichever channel you choose to another window if you don't like it, as this is just for a test.

Theory:

Maybe the recent chat server patch has decreased the frequency of uchat messages, like maybe no or fewer keepalive packets, if there ever were any at all. I don't have evidence that this is what happened, so it's a guess to diagnose the situation. I have not experienced the "chat stops working after 2-3 minutes" issue mentioned in this thread.

Reason this may work:

As long as there's something new happening in uchat every minute or so, like anyone joining/leaving a channel, or writing something in a channel, it helps keep your internet router's Network Address Translation entry for the uchat connection fresh and not forgotten.

If interested in more details please see the thread "constantly dropped from universal chat" : https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/constantly-dropped-from-universal-chat.248603/
  15. Angahran Augur

Who unplugged serverwide.sk ?
    Elyssanda likes this.
  16. Blyster New Member

Can we get another update on this please? This has been happening since the chat server maintenance 2 weeks ago now. Thanks
  17. Elyssanda Bardbrain

all serverwide channels are down and have been..
  18. Atrocity(Zak) New Member

So mine was fine when the initial problems started (earlier this month. like before the 20th). Then about 4 or 5 days ago I started losing all chat channels soon after logging in. If I log to char select and back in, they'll come back for a few minutes then drop again. I can't rejoin them without camping. Is there any info beyond "Yeah. its messed up"?
  19. Narye Augur

NEEEDDD my channels, omg have you any idea how hard it is being RL with no channels? Please please give them back /beg
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. Atrocity(Zak) New Member

So get this. I uninstalled 2 windows updates and a flash update that I felt l like I had accepted around when the issues began.

Chat channels back. Friends list back, Zone times returned to normal. So if you've got an update that was installed around the time your issues started, maybe try rolling it back. If it worked for me it may work for others.