Hadden (and respecting camps)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by EchoFreya, Sep 29, 2020.

1. EchoFreya Lorekeeper

I play on Rizlona. Last night, I zoned into QHills and Hadden was up on track. I ran over, killed him, then sat my mage down to watch some Netflix for the next several hours hoping to stay awake long enough to kill him again, because he didn't drop the earring.

For the record, if I see a person actively camping a spot, I do not invade it. I respect what others are doing, and I move on to something else until there is a time that camp is free. The 'official rules' are written in a way that deters antisocial behaviour, but I also realize that there is very little done to prevent it. I hope this changes, in order to prevent things like what happened next from reoccurring.

About a half hour into my 'camp', a druid (Smoki) runs over and stands right in front of me. I greet him with a 'Hi', and he says 'hi' back but keeps standing there. I ask him, 'can I help you with something?', he says 'no', followed by another minute of silence. A couple minutes later he says 'he's after an 'EB item for his son'. I reply politely, explaining that is why I am there as well.

He starts with an attempt at a bribe, "I'll give you an Argent Protector if you leave". I reply "no thank you, I'm here for this right now". Next he attempts to persuade me that as a mage, I don't need the item. The friendly conversation erodes as it is clear that this person is not going to respect the fact that I chose to actively camp Hadden. He resorts to insults, claiming that some other person last killed the mob, and that I was lying about claiming that I had. When I told him I killed it 25 mins ago, he explained that this wasn't an 'active camp' and couldn't be 'claimed' as it is considered by 'everyone' to be FTE and whomever got the kill shot wins, no matter who was sitting there first. He made it clear that if someone doesn't kill it the very nanosecond he spawns, they will lose out no matter how long they'd been camping it.

Is this really what people believe on Rizlona? Is this why we seem to have so many antisocial players on this server who don't respect other people's right to enjoy the game?

The druid camped shortly after what I would consider a very unfriendly encounter, and I realized that if nothing else I had just provided him with the spawn timer by engaging with him at all.

This morning, I camped in again to an empty zone. I sat down and proceeded to camp on a laptop beside my main computer. I work from home, so this is the perfect activity to compliment that (not much to it but sit there for a few hours and kill something when it spawns).

While writing an email, I see a flash out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough, Smoki stealth logged in again and nuked the mob right from under me, despite my sitting right there. In chat, he had the audacity to say "oh, did you get him every 15 min? lol looks like you've moved in".

I sent in a /report. I have my log files from the exchange last night as well.

I intend to maintain my camp, but I am sure this behaviour will repeat itself despite the fact that I'm actively camping the spot.

This 'style' of player behaviour is really detrimental to the health of the population, and I've seen it's kind before in other areas, particularly highly contested camps. I've experienced guild groups swarming around me despite having 'camped' a turnin mob, using trolls and ogres to prevent me from handing in an item, and at lower levels I've had max level characters sit right in a camp I had been pulling for XP for hours, zapping the named whenever it spawned right from under me.

If the GMs do nothing about people like this who undermine the time of others, then perhaps player reputation has at least some impact here. This is the only reason why I've chosen to share the player's name in question, but I would much prefer that server staff appropriately deal with people like this and finally set some examples to deter this type of antisocial behaviour.
    -----Cinexa----- and Duder like this.
  2. Loze Elder

Gird your loins for umpteen "That's how the game works and so does real life, because I'm an idiot and I think people should fight over the last roll of toilet paper just like I do in this elf simulator I play. Hadden has MY toilet paper, because I took it from you" replies.
    Kutsuu, Montag and EchoFreya like this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Welcome to modern eq tlp but unfortunately you're in for a rude awakening as you're actually the only one breaking rules - naming players. Even if they are anti social dregs of society the gms will not do anything to them. There are no camps so they just throw that defense right out.

Furthermore, as I've seen player reputation means little anymore seeing as how there is always at least 1 big guild on a server that will take virtually anyone.

My honest advice is if you want a stronger community feel then p99 has actual gms. No doubt problems of their own, but player toxicity generally isn't going to be like eq tlp.
  4. Protagonist Tank

There are no camps. He was not breaking the rules. You tried to waste a GM's time. You didn't waste it, since /report is deprecated. Use petitions when it's an actual rule break. Like this thread is.
    code-zero and Funky like this.
  5. a_librarian Augur

6. EchoFreya Lorekeeper

Yes, I've played on P99 and admit that the GM support for things like this is superb over there. Once, live servers had a PNP policy, but it sounds like that has disappeared here, and that is very unfortunate. In fact, it sounds like this type of behaviour is 'supported' here, (thus, why the Guild in question is alive, healthy, and well... I know exactly who you are talking about HoodenShuklak).

If naming players for antisocial behaviour somehow gets me into trouble, I have only the following to say.

It has been suggested above that server staff will take punitive action against those who advocate for a healthier population in the absence of reasonable support that deters antisocial behaviour. I've read the 'argument' in other threads that claims server staff condones antisocial behaviour because these individuals 'bring in the dollars'. Well using that same argument, when socially responsible players suffer (are 'banned' for calling out the names of players who display bad behaviour as has been suggested above), then the healthy population is depleted while the antisocial population thrives. This argument suggests that server staff actively supports antisocial behaviour, and punishes players who advocate for socially respectful behaviour that leads to a healthy player environment. They are still 'losing dollars', but they are losing dollars from those who promote and advocate for a healthier population, which would benefit far more players than the few antisocial individuals who choose to play in a way that ruins people's experiences.

How exactly does this make sense? I'd wager that it doesn't, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  7. a_librarian Augur

Well at least we have instanced raids
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  8. Moranis Augur

This will never be policed, for better or for worse. I'd like to believe that most people are respectful of camps, but there's always a few that will go ahead and do their own thing.

The game was just really not ever setup to have 1,000 people on the same server, with the same goals, and the same immense knowledge of every facet of the game. Every valuable camp is going to be hotly contested - honestly, your best bet is to be happy that it's not a SK with hackz who can HT mere milliseconds after Hadden pops.

I've actually started playing my own little group of TLP-type characters on a Live server where I've limited myself to Velious-era gear and below, only dabbling into PoP for the portals. It's pretty fun.
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Captain Video Augur

Anyone can do this. For free. A lot of players would be happier if they tried it!

The forum rules are separate from the game rules. Players are not allowed to use the forum to influence their in-game negotiations by calling out other players by name. Period. Full stop. It has nothing to do with how the staff acts. Pretty much every online gaming forum run by a game publisher has such rules. If you don't like that, you might want to consider a different hobby.

As others have already noted, there are no camps in this game. The old "official" PNP policy has been gone for many years now. Having said that, when there are just two players competing for a spawn, in most cases you can get a satisfactory sharing arrangement by just chatting with the other player. If you have the bad luck of running into someone who is rude about it, well, patience is a virtue. Or you can out-DPS him/her. I think I speak for many when I say that the player who is at the keyboard playing will always get priority over the one who is AFK watching Netflix.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

PNP went the way of the dodo a long time ago.

Up to each server's community if they want to be a friendly bunch or hostile as hell, on most TLP it tends to lean towards friendly until a small bunch go hostile on everything & everyone around them and then it poisons the well of good will. Usually bites them in the rear later though.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

BS

Darkpaw Tolerate some stuff yes, they don't encourage it, your use of language here is deliberately wrong & misinformative.

Absence of enforcement is not the same as active promotion.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  12. Loze Elder

See?

I forgot to add the ad nauseum threads that go something like: "I'm a real B hole, that guy didn't break any rules! You sure did though. You broke all the rules, because I'm a rules lawyer. This rule breaker should be punished because he broke the rules and he whined about someone not breaking the rules just because they were a B hole too. Don't be nice to anyone because the rules say you don't have to be, filthy rulebreaker!"
    EchoFreya likes this.
  13. EchoFreya Lorekeeper

@Loze. Yup. I expected all of that. We are so shameful for calling out antisocial behaviour and prefer healthy social communities, particularly ones we pay for. Right.
    Loze likes this.
  14. Loze Elder

How dare you expect people to act like decent human beings instead of animals! I'm offended! I'm going to feign being triggered and post many very long posts with a lot of analogies that don't make sense to prove just how vile your "nice" mentality actually is.

You should be ashamed!
    Thraine and EchoFreya like this.
  15. Dresden Journeyman

The sense of entitlement on these earlier servers is honestly disgusting lol
  16. Thash Zoner

It's just bad luck, this happens anywhere. Rizlona's no worse socially than anywhere else, there's always one.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

I agree with you but I also understand that this approach is futile. You can either be like them (I can't) or you can just move on when things like this happen. It's difficult to let it go but you really don't have many choices.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

He could have broken the rules when it came to name calling... whatever that meant in this case. But after being on a few TLP's i have seen guildmates eat a ban for telling off an absolute scum bag that was not "technically" breaking any rules.

There's a reason these threads pop up regularly though I suppose...
  19. Dailor Augur

*~**~~*~~**~*cOoL tHrEaD aLeRt*~**~~*~~**~*
  20. Dailor Augur

Someone, ANYONE give this person the justice they deserve for HADDEN.