Merc question (ranks)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tatanka, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So I just made a new account and rolled a new char. It's a F2P account.

When I went to get a merc in CR, I could only choose Apprentice ranks 1 and 2. Ranks 3-5 said all access is required.

Really? All access grants you access to journeyman mercs (so, rank J1 till you hit 85). Why would an all access account ever use A3-5? Wouldn't they all just use J1s?

Seems a little silly to basically have ranks which nobody would ever use.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Those ranks are for Silver accounts.

But originally, mercs were:
    -expensive in purchase and upkeep, especially the journeyman ones
    -difficult to unlock the journeyman versions through SoD content (the mission in warrens was especially difficult for non-raiders at the time)

So many players chose/were forced to have Apprentice level mercs even if all access (gold back then). For the most part, they worked fine.

Now since there is no official way to obtain Silver status anymore, they have to say All Access to cover themselves. But those levels are for Silver accounts.
  3. Captain Video Augur

If you are a returning player and your account has the legacy Silver status, you can use a merc up to rank Apprentice V for free. If you are using a brand-new account, which is considered strictly F2P, then you only get the first two apprentice ranks. In general, a subscribed player will always use a Journeyman merc; they are a bit more expensive, but the necessary plat is easy to earn to keep one going. Since there are a >lot< of legacy accounts with Silver status out there, it isn't all that silly to have the additional apprentice ranks.