65 Bard Returning

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by myscha_sleddog, Sep 25, 2020.

1. myscha_sleddog New Member

Hello all.
    I feel sure you've heard this basic question before, so maybe if I'm lucky, you can point me to web resources, links, or YouTube Channels so I can update myself on 18 years of new information.

I'm a 65 bard. Last played in 2002+/- in Planes of Power. I'm looking to play low key, get a feel for what's changed, and progress my bard some. I'm in no rush. I'm used to chant and swarm kiting and grouping. Not boxing. No SSS (Epic)
    -What's the best way to gear/advance solo
    -Which Mercenary would you suggest.

Thanks in Advance. Not looking for a guild until I get a feel for things again.
  2. Iven Antonius Bayle

Defiant gear (bazaar) until level 71-79. Some parts of it (gloves, sleeves, boots) have intrument modifiers included. As a bard you could solo without a merc by just tanking yourself. Depending on the situation about every merc can be helpfull. For easy mode pick the healer. Then try tank, rogue, wiz in that order.

Haste/Atk and slow songs will be your best friends. Make a hotbutton with "/melody 1 2 3" etc this will twist and loop your songs automatically. Check out Torden, the Bastion of Thunder or Plane of Fire and do some daily quests from Franklin Teek in PoK to progress.

A few other zones that you can visit between lvl 65-70:
    - Gates of Discord expansion (visit a wayfarer NPC like in the guild lobby and say Natimbi)
    - Omens of War expansion (visit a Priest of Discord like in PoK outside the library)
    - Barren Coast (PoK Erudin and Paineel stones)
    - The Steppes (PoK Crescent Reach stone, Goru Kar Mesa)
    - Arcstone (PoK Freeport stone, run up the wizard tower)
    - Accursed Nest (PoK Neriak stone, Lavastorm Mtns, north..)

--> Get the maps !
    copy them to the folder "EverQuest\maps\Brewall".
  3. myscha_sleddog New Member

Thank you, Iven, for making the time to provide super useful and helpful information!
    Since I only have around 50 AAs should I expand that to higher levels first, or just get on with leveling?
    Thank you again!
  4. myscha_sleddog New Member

Yikes Defiant gear is super pricey. Maybe coming back is a bad idea.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Do not buy any gear below level 85!!! It drops very frequently. And in POK you can get quests from Franklin Teek that will give you FREE a belt with haste, a back item and a hood for your level. Just go kill 5 mobs. Keep killing in the zones he suggests as nice "hot zone" aug will also drop. You can get more than one task at a time. So get like 3 or 4 around your level. If you only get 1 then you have to wait till the next day to ask for another even if of a different level

I prefer Goods Map Packs as he has less stuff on his to confuse me. Here! But many of us run both maps.

We usually suggest people make a level 1 and run thru the tutorial so you can see what has changed. It only takes a short time to do it and then you can continue that tutorial with the one in POK called "out of Gloomingdeep" both are good fast and will grant you a lot of free stuff

WB!

PS Your AA depends on if your playing Silver which is an old account like yours that has returned and the person is playing it free or your paying. Silver only get 1000 AA - A normal F2P gets 200 and paid accounts get unlimited.

At your level I would get the basic AA here and there
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Iven Antonius Bayle

Invest in those AAs that will help you in leveling up at most first. One of them is Run Speed as moving around in Norrath is a big part of all activities. Its does even help to survive combat situations.You can grind the remaining AAs in higher levels when its much easier to do so.

Defiant gear is only pricey on some servers but actually its trash gear that does get sold to vendors in masses for just ~3 pp. Just make a "wtb defiant gear" offer in both auction and general/newplayers channels and you can get this gear cheap or even free.

This is a great strategy for leveling up slowly and get closer to the classic EQ experience. The gear that solo/molo players do loot from mobs is always 1-2 gear range levels (5-25 PC levels) behind current best gear. It is hardly possible to collect a (nearly) complete set of an appropiate gear in the lower and mid levels as leveling up is very fast when playing on the live servers.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

The basics are the same. It's like riding a bike, with some new bells and whistles, you will be fine.

The only issue is that the lower level zones wont be that populated. Find yourself an active family/leveling guild to join.

The best healer will be the cleric.

Gear can be a challenge for a returning player playing solo, but defiant gear is abundant. The people selling it in the baz are looking to make a buck. A family guild probably has a bunch of extra and will help you out. Plenty of things rot. Etc. Don't worry about gear, just enjoy what you have and it will work itself as you go.

Progression wise, just move through the expansions as they were released to level up, do the dailys and overseer, and ask general and your guild where to go for your level.

If you have trouble finding groups, you can consider an easy free to play box. A mage is easy. Just CoH yourself and send in the pet. J5 Warrior or rogue merc on your paid account and an apprentice cleric on the free account.

Don't buy any AA. All AA through the TBM expansion are autogranted. Just sort the AA by expansion and anything TBM or sooner will be immediately granted when you get to that level. Racial and tradeskill (any non-expansion AA) will not be autogranted.

You can sometimes find a free power level by following someone higher level than you that is working on a hunter ACH in an older zone. Your overhaste would be welcome, but be careful about song aggro. You need to be L85 to group with a L115.