How hard would it be to get eq working on the xbox x series?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by pinco, Sep 25, 2020.

1. pinco Lorekeeper

i assume the xbox x would be running software similar to window 10 lots of games now days are cross platform look at dc online its even on the switch.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I mean, COULD it be done? Yes.

How hard would it be? Well, they haven't upgraded the game engine since Shadows of Luclin.

So the real quesiton is: Will they ever upgrade the game engine (which would allow cross-platform gaming)?

No.
  3. Captain Video Augur

DCUO was built from the start on a cross-platform engine licensed from the Sony console group, so that when it launched it could be run on the PS3 (now running on the PS4 instead, plus more recently the Switch). EQ and EQ2 are built on much older proprietary (custom-developed) engines which have no hope of being converted to cross-platform support. They're also 32-bit engines, and everything on the Xbox Series X has to be 64-bit. Now if there is ever an EQ3, it could be built using a cross-platform engine, either the same one used now for DCUO (and would have been used for EQ Next), or perhaps something even newer such as Unreal 4...
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  4. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

They upgraded the game engine with GoD, that was the last game engine upgrade. SoL was just the last model upgrade.

Going on the idea that the XBox Series consoles are still just using a special version of Windows 10, the only real issue would be the fact that any port would need to have DirectX 9c(d?) installed with it. Everything else could be done I believe without a ton of extra work. The issue would be more about the gameplay and UI of modern EQ not really meshing well with only a controller. I mean EQ, can be played with a controller, but it is best played with a keyboard & mouse or all three. The game play is simply too complex for only a controller, which is what the vast majority of people on a console would expect to be able to play it with.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

I wish my All Access gave me the same benefits on DCUO on Xbox. That would be a lot less work to setup. I have a hard time believing there are a bunch of people paying for Xbox DCUO AND all access.