the M word

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evertrek, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Evertrek Augur

what happened to the server merges? Luclin is still dead....

even WoW is streamlining and merging. maybe even down grade levels to 60 like wow...
  2. Derd Augur

No thanks
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Sobmre Augur

seems like WOW is more EQ then EQ......
    Yinla likes this.
  4. KermittheFroglok Augur

Nope, EQ doesn’t have the resources to literally retune every bit of content, class, gear, and AA’s and we have more content compared to WoW. It’s not feasible and WoW’s strategy is still new players, EQ’s is getting back old players. The benefit of retuning everything to EQ would be way lower compared to WoW.

The merges happened already, if you aren’t happy where you landed then it’s on you to pay for a transfer like everyone else has had to for decades. Don’t make everyone else deal with more merges when you have a viable solution available.
    Skuz and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  5. KermittheFroglok Augur

Ummm no it’s not. Wow is closer to EQ II if anything.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Dibab like this.
  6. Evertrek Augur

nothing you stated is even close to being true. it's negative and just bad form.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They did a few merges, it is possible there maybe a few more in the pipeline, but it was said neither Xegony nore Luclin would be merged, look at one of Hollys previous posts or it may have been in the EQ show not sure which.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  8. KermittheFroglok Augur

Nope, nothing I said there was “untrue”. Harsh reality is, the Devs analyzed server pops, rulesets, etc and you didn’t get what you want. Bad form is more like calling someone a liar when they’re not.

-EQ does NOT have the resources to retune the entire game. Case and point the triage of priorities forced them to remove the broken sub time remaining counter instead of actually fixing it.
    -Holly in numerous interviews has stated EQ is “reaquisition” focused, so it doesn’t make sense to retune the game for new players
    -Devs already did their analysis and intended merges for now +
    -Read Yinla’s post
    -You generally have to pay for a transfer if you want off your server
    -Paying for a transfer is a viable (and fair) solution since you got to choose where you made your toons and if you’re subbed you can save for the DBC needed to transfer.

Nothing untrue there, just a harsh dose of reality. It’d be nice if you apologized or explained how all of those observations are untrue.
    Zamiam, Tatanka and Nennius like this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Hehe thanks for posting that. I haven't played WOW in about 10 years, and recently got an email about a new game/expansion. It kept talking about level 60, I was pretty confused, thought they had come up with some other game using the Warcraft IP!
  10. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I wouldn't call this "True". Yes, they just merged some TLP servers but that doesn't mean those were the only one's they think needed merged.

I think the TLP Merges were more of a test of their merge tools for future live server merges. Based on how the TLP merges went, they still have some bugs to work out. I think Live Server merges are still a possibility but I wouldn't expect them anytime soon.

Also, like Yinla pointed out, they confirmed the Higher Population Live servers would not be receiving any merges, some of the lower population servers will probably be merged once they work the bugs out of the system though.
  11. Celephane Augur

I've never played that game. I don't know what this means, but it sounds stupid.
    Yinla and CatsPaws like this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They are just doing a big numbers crunch as everything keeps growing and they decided the large numbers for everything was a problem. They have done this once before with stats in general but are moving it to levels as well this time.
  13. KermittheFroglok Augur

If we're worried about factual accuracy, then let's first clarify that the recent mergers were not just TLP as you imply, they included Live merges too. Fippy & Lockjaw were TLP while Brekt & Trakanon were Live. Brekt wasn't actually a TLP, it was a Live free trade server & the dumping ground for Quarm (a separate server that was a TLP). With that in mind, the recent merge was 50/50 TLP & Live.

Brekt & Trakanon were clearly under populated and almost unused, "low" pop even at peak hours (e.g. 5:00 on a Friday night), Vox is/was also often "low" at peak which is likely why is they received Trakanon & Fippy. As of this posting Luclin (the OPs server of concern) and all of the Live servers except Zek are at what the Devs defined as "medium" capacity, per the DBG site. With that in mind the population is probably acceptable because "medium" generally means moderate or typical. While low means literally low by whatever definition they have. I know many if not most servers however between low/medium (often low) off-peak, but that's off peak and to be expected. (But I can see the counter argument that you'd expect servers to be "medium" off-peak and "high" at peak). My point is really the trend seems to be the Live servers that even at peak weren't hitting medium were the ones impacted.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I don't contest that more merges will occur as capabilities improve, populations change, & cost/resources come more into play. My point is the server transfers happened, and the OP needs to address it themselves if they want to move sooner than the next wave. Could be next year, could be another 5-10 years.

What I said wasn't factually inaccurate, the mergers happened already, if the OP isn't happy the best option available at this point is likely to transfer.
  14. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I'll agree that they weren't fully "TLP Only" merges but it was definitely a "TLP" focused merge. Brekt was a special one-off server they tried out instead of a traditional TLP, so I'm counting it as a TLP. It's more in line with other TLP's than it is a live server. It merged with FV which is a live server but also the only compatible server with free trade rules. Lockjaw/Ragefire are both TLP's for sure. Then we got Fippy, Vox, and Trak. My history is a little hazy on these 3, Fippy was TLP but I think Vox and Trak were basically brand new "live" servers before they started the true TLP route. So in essence they were TLP's before they were called TLP's and had expansion locks.

The servers I consider true "Live" servers are the original servers that we ended up with after the Original Merges how ever many years ago. They used a similar approach then, starting with just the Zek Servers to see how it went and then did the remaining servers after they got the zek merge worked out.

I agree that if someone is looking to move right now or holding out for a merge, they're better off just buying a xfer token for now. But I'm willing to bet we see more merges within a year, not 5-10 years from now. It's been a topic for quite awhile now. The main thing holding them back from doing it was the capability to, now we're finally seeing progress on the capability. Like I said before, once they work out some bugs/issues that arose from this round, I wouldn't be surprised if more get merged. I don't expect it to be a quick fix so it very well could take another year for the next ones, but I'm sure it's in the plans already.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Strictly speaking Quarm was not a TLP, it was a one-off event server.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. KermittheFroglok Augur

Touché, mispoke on that one, but the point still remains that the mergers were 50/50 Live TLP.
  17. KermittheFroglok Augur

Brekt was a Live server and dumping server for Quarm. The event was Quarm. The Devs called Brekt a “standard” server with Free Trade added to the rule set, they didn’t call it event, they called it “standard” which is commonly “Live”. Likewise, Trak and Vox while newer but still Live, no dancing around that.

Can’t blame you for trying, but not giving you a pass on redefining “Live” and “TLP”, that’s just silly. You mispoke, no big deal no need to try making stuff up. I didn’t care when Skuz corrected me. Point remains it wasn’t a “TLP” focused merge, it was a mix.

I don’t agree they have the capability to merge the mid-pop servers reliably because they just tried merging 4 small servers and it wreaked havoc on the community for weeks. Long term the franchise needs mergers to stay viable, but I don’t feel that confident in DBG’s capabilities yet.
  18. Evertrek Augur

good responses. i don't care about TLPs, even wow now has a TLP (classic) problem. players on classic wow have said they never plan to return to retail.

Luclin was my first server back in 1999. it has been hit by the TLP success and really has only a few active hardcore guilds now. i used to raid primetime and then later off peak, but no way a group can be formed off peak there now. so ive boxed, followed friends to other servers, and jumped to TLP in off hours (where most are always busy and groups can be found).

i like how WoW is doing massive merges (they call them connections lol). both their classic and retail servers are very busy now. they are also setting a level cap of 60 (and going to de-level every character to 50) for the next expansion. they are making each expansion a possible way to level and/or you can mix and match if you are new.

i would guess EQ could still merge more, drop all but 2 TLPs, and maybe de-level and cap at 60. seems like a good start for the next few years.

M is for merge.
  19. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I wasn't trying to "Redefine" live and tlp. I was merely explaining my thought process on it. The fact remains the only long standing server that was involved is FV, which is due to being the only one compatible with Brekt. None of the other servers existed when the last merge occurred. I guess instead of labeling them as a server type I should of just said "Newer Server" focused merge. That was basically my whole point of using "TLP" which is the majority of new servers. The one's that got merged are the new servers that die after so many expansions.Yes, they aren't all TLP's but they all have had the same fate.

Like I said, there's "Progress" if you fully read that I even said they have work to do on it and I don't expect them to fix it anytime soon.
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Everything he stated was completely true.
    Skuz likes this.