Need Help after many years gone.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Chris76, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Chris76 New Member

Hello all,
    I need some advice on EQ1 because I have not played in years, many years. Allow me to tell my back story so you understand what type of player I was and still am.

I played on Cazic-Thule as my home server and the only known character I had was my 60 Necro named Azalin Bloodstrife, some of you may remember me. I was not in a raiding guild at the time but I helped my server out ALOT on corpse retrieval when guilds would raid the planes, especially fear. I gave my # out to certain people on server and they would call me in the middle of night to do corpse find, was also a great source of income back then Necros wasn't really known for anything other than soloing and retrieving corpses.

I left the game when the expansion came out I think after Velious, it was the expansion that introduced the bazaar, and my computer literally could not run it so I gave up on EQ until EQ2 came out and never returned to EQ1. I loved EQ1 with a passion, its the game that got me into MMOS in general and for me the franchise will never die. Thats my history, and onto my questions!

I worked with CS last year to get my old account back and was able to retrieve it and from what I can tell my old 60 Necro is intact. Also before I begin I like to mostly solo with some grouping here and there maybe raiding down the road, and no pvp of any kind but for now it would be just soloing to get back into the swing of things. So here are my questions.

1. Are Necros still top soloers in EQ1 like they were many years ago and has anything changed as far as them being dpsers or utility in any way?

2. Since my character is still on Cazic-Thule is the server still in good shape after all these years or is it recommended to play on another server?

3. Is there a loyalty program like there is in EQ2 where you get like 1,2,3 etc 12 year reward for your account based o n how old it is because if so I should have tons of that available to me if so?

4. Housing is important to me in EQ2, I know it wasn't a thing years ago but EQ2 ruined me and is fantastic and now I am a hardcore housing fan. Is housing done the same way as EQ2 other than the graphics? Can I buy my own home and decorate and put my rewards on the wall? Get housing rewards from drops and quests? Is it just as fun as EQ2?

5. The game in general, I remember it being about camping a area and pulling to it, is EQ still the same way, you find a open camp and do your thing and at times you will have to group if you want a camp? Or is the game spaced out and zones plentiful enough to spread out and do your own thing?

6. Here is the big question I need to know. The P99 player driven servers, how does that compare to here? Has so much changed on live that I won't recognize the game from years ago and better off playing on their version of the game? I understand its more of a classic legacy feel and that its more difficult. Which version of the game has more players and what is the overall general feel of the two from most players you think? I don't have a problem starting over but I don't want to wait 5 hours for my mana to replenish and constantly being looking for camp spots on my already limited play time. (Can put in 3 to 4 hours day and 8 to 16 hours on weekend). Yes I exaggerated on the 5 hours to get mana back but you get my feeling.

7. Finally I play EQ2 on a casual basis, have several characters under 50 and but none above that. I find the game fun but overwhelming because there to I played for couple years and stopped and missed years of content. I love the merc system there and the shinys you find on the ground in zones. Its a beautiful game but I don't see alot of people on playing which gives me the feeling its only for hardcore fans that never gave up on it. Is EQ1 generally more populated?

I have no problem playing on TLP or whatever its called, the servers where it opens up content after so many months but the main thing that gives me despair is that it will reset and merge your characters on another server which I am not really a fan of but I do understand it allows you to group and do more lower level content.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to all opinions and will probably play based on the feedback I get regarding both games because I take all you guys opinions to heart.

Thank you!
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

3. Is there a loyalty program like there is in EQ2 where you get like 1,2,3 etc 12 year reward for your account based o n how old it is because if so I should have tons of that available to me if so?

Veteran rewards are now given to all accounts. Look under your AA tab - special. https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Veteran_Rewards.

There are also loyalty tokens which used to be awarded based on your subscription but no longer work that way. Your account will get 120/week up to 5760. You must spend some or lose them as it will not award partial amounts or amounts over the cap. There are 2 loyalty vendors, one in POK and one in the Housing zone - Sunrise Hills.

4. Housing is important to me in EQ2, I know it wasn't a thing years ago but EQ2 ruined me and is fantastic and now I am a hardcore housing fan. Is housing done the same way as EQ2 other than the graphics? Can I buy my own home and decorate and put my rewards on the wall? Get housing rewards from drops and quests? Is it just as fun as EQ2?

Most people use housing as storage but there are some who have excelled at decorations. This is the base info https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Player_Housing_in_EverQuest

Any houses you buy with the loyalty tokens mentioned above will not charge you rent. So you would only have the plot rent.

5. The game in general, I remember it being about camping a area and pulling to it, is EQ still the same way, you find a open camp and do your thing and at times you will have to group if you want a camp? Or is the game spaced out and zones plentiful enough to spread out and do your own thing?

You can do your own thing. The game is not as populated on Live servers as it used to be. However TLP servers will be different.

Everything can be googled and while articles may be older and some have out of date info it is not enough to adversely affect game play.

Your biggest takeaways at this point are if you are going to pay which will give you access to the TLP servers and a couple other improvements in the game like the top merc when you hit level 75 or 85 an the ability to be in general chat.

Or if your going to stay Silver which is free with some perks over Free To Play (general chat is another of those perks). Only old accounts are granted Silver.

6. Here is the big question I need to know. The P99 player driven servers, how does that compare to here?

Some people prefer P99. Some prefer Live or TLP. You have to make that choice. The best thing to do right now is move off your main character, created a level 1 and go thru the tutorial in Gloomingdeep and then continue the second part of it in POK called "Out of Gloomingdeep" - between these two it will give you a good idea of how live will work for you.
  3. Chris76 New Member

Ok I have no idea about silver or gold, all I know is I paid 15 dollars to play EQ2 to open up some of the features but I understand All Access allows me to play the live servers and maybe tlp?
    MarcusD likes this.
  4. MarcusD New Member

Yes that works for every Daybreak game. I played p99. It was fun but the way it was micromanaged is not my cup of tea. If you play live (I am currently) I think the best way to think about it is Everquest 1.5 (for an old player). Starting zones are different, graphics are different, models are different, some QOL like resting recovery and mercs. None of it is gamebreaking for me, a "summer of 99" player, as long as I don't try to play the exact way I did then. It's fun. I will promise you that Classic will never go away, it will always be preserved in some form, so you don't have to worry that it won't be there when you want it.
  5. Chris76 New Member

So when you mean classic you mean p99 right? Or live? So what I am gathering is Live is just updated zones, better models, but the zones are the same right as I remember them? Rathe Mtns, the Karanas? Unrest, Kithicor etc? EC tunnel still the way to trade or is that p99 only because I remember Live introducing bazaar so I assume EC tunnel trading is phased out?

Thanks!
  6. Herf Augur

"Live" is about 26 total game expansions. I think the level limit there is now about 100? Basically much tougher monsters, more missions, achievements, "collections" whatever they are, weapons that do much higher dmg (because the monsters have much higher HP), and heroic stats for you to give you much higher HP, STR, etc.

"Classic" means the first game, after which came expats for Kunark, Velius, and Luclin, PoP, etc.
  7. Captain Video Augur

Level cap on Live servers is now 115. Collections are simply running around all the zones in the newer expansions and searching for collectible items; completing sets gives you achievements and sometimes gear rewards. It's just a fun thing to do apart from always killing stuff or wrestling with tradeskills.

Some players, including myself, like to distinguish between the "old school" game and the "modern" game. From the Serpent's Spine expansion onwards, there are specific quest lines for each expansion to track your progression. The modern game includes the use of mercenaries you can hire, which allow you to get through some content by yourself which would otherwise require a group. On a TLP server, you're going to be quite limited in how much content you can do solo, and you will need to have friends to play with, or join a guild, to experience all of it.

Cezic-Thule is still going strong. Which server you choose to play on is really a function of who else you know, if anyone, who is currently playing the game. If you don't know anyone immediately, check out the guilds on that server and see who is recruiting newer players. I echo the suggestion that you set aside your original character briefly and roll a level 1 of any class you choose on a Live server such as Cezic-Thule, and go through the Gloomingdeep tutorial zone, to acquaint yourself with the new UI and the newer game features. It has a fun quest line of its own that's worth doing.

P99 is very limited in content compared to the official servers, since it is capped at Velious. The only official progression server here which is content-capped is Agnarr, which stops at LoY. Since it includes Planes of Power, it is already a much different game, and arguably a deeper game, than what is presented on P99. You'll probably find a few more casual solo players on Agnarr than on the other servers, but not by much.

In the end, there is no substitute for trying out each of the options yourself and seeing which you like best.