[Feature] Previous expansion raid coins on current raid merchants.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Angahran, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Angahran Augur

I hate having missing spells but there is no way anyone is going to be interested in doing old raids where the gear isn't even good for alts.

So, how about being able to purchase previous expansion's coins from current expansion raid merchants ?

Would still have to have raided those older expansions to have their raid merchants unlocked.
    Jumbur and Tweakfour17 like this.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Are you willing to lose zones, raids and/or missions to make this happen? The devs are pretty much maxed out so ... if you want something completely new, something has to give.

But I can tell you haven't really researched the spell issue closely. All raid merchants TBM and up don't have spells on them ... so getting more coin isn't going to bring you anything except TDS and prior. TDS raids are 2 groupable at this point.

Personally, I'd rather not lose new content and bug fixes over something so minor (rank 3 upgrades vs rank 2s).
    Bardy McFly and Duder like this.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

What spells are you missing? It's been a few expansions since they offered spells on the vendor. Most of that stuff should be getting close to groupable or at least 2 groupable.
  4. enclee Augur

You think creating a merchant inventory is equivalent to creating a raid or zone?
  5. Moege Augur

Right and then ?

You cannot purchase spells from vendors anyway.
  6. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

The OP asked for a way to have old raid currency on vendors (let's ignore the fact that it actually wont solve his issue for now).

What's the cost of conversion (1 for 1, less, more)?
    What's the block of conversion (1, 10, 20, 50)?
    How far back do you list on a vendor?
    Which raid vendors is it on (start with just ToV or prior)?
    Are there raid vendors who are out of slots available?
    What about TLPs (cause you always have to ask that question now)?
    Is there imbalance from being able to flood a prior expansion with raid currency (hard limit to how much currency can be earned for an expansion due to lockouts right now)?
    and probably dozens of more questions that I haven't thought of in 5 minutes.

...not to mention the actual code mechanics into making this happen, whatever the decisions above are.

So yeah, I do think these things are equivalent to a mission or higher for an expansion. This isn't adding water flasks to a vendor that didn't have them before.

There's a thread right now in bugs about it (possibly) taking more recipes to get to 350 in various tradeskills. I guarantee the amount of though that the devs, particularly Ngreth, have put into that issue has cost us more new tradeskill recipes in the next expansion (because again ... none of this is in a vacuum). When everyone could have just make 1-10 more combines per tradeskill and gone on with their lives.

Everything done by the developers has a cost in EQ. It would be nice if the player base started to realize this more and stop asking for things that can be solved via playing.
  7. enclee Augur

Man, you gotta relax not every task is monumental. They’ve been doing development on this game for the last 24 years, they could handle creating a vendor with spell runes.

You don’t need to rush out ranting about the developer work flow. Just listen to some past interviews, they had entry level people creating epic quests or here’s a support ticket go figure it out. So, you don’t know how they assign out tasks to staff. Not all tasks are going to be performed by the more visible red names like Ngreth, Absor, etc.
  8. Jennre Band Leader

I don't like this idea. In my opinion, if you want the coin, do the raids. I mean no disrespect, of course. Its just my opinion.
    Zaray and Vumad like this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The devs have stated in the past that they don't want to give out past raid currency for doing future raids and if you want the currency/items/spells from past expansions you have to do those raids.
    Yinla and Moege like this.
  10. Duder Augur

It's more than that. For some it may work out to be 10 more recipes, for others it works out to needing more recipes than the amount of recipes that exist. However, I am unconvinced from those parties because the folks that I know of that are stuck in that predicament came to that conclusion far before finishing recipes. I'm not convinced it won't level out/catch up as they continue to learn more recipes. Who knows? Because they stopped learning recipes.
  11. Jennre Band Leader

What does this have to do with raid currency? =P
    Elyssanda likes this.
  12. Duder Augur

Just a reply to correct the error in the statement of the problem being easily solved by learning 1-10 more recipes.
  13. Angahran Augur

Ok, how about this.

Grab an intern.
    Give them a list of all the current rank 2 spell recearch recipes.
    Have them copy&paste these recipes and add x of the appropriate raid currency and make the resulting item nodrop to create new rank 3 scrolls.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That sounds like a horrible way to do it and it would artificially inflate the prices of rank 2 spells, a much better idea would be to just put them on the vendor.
    Yinla and Jennre like this.
  15. Angahran Augur

Why would this have any impact on rank 2 spell prices ?
    And people bitched and moaned about putting them on a vendor.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because I read that as needing the rank 2 spell to make the rank 3 spell (can you even research spells from recent expansions?). But that still has problems as not all rank 2 spells can be researched and that just adds a lot of unneeded recopies
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

We haven't had new spell recipes since RoF so slight problem there,

The players want the spells on a vendor the devs don't, so ideally the drop rates need to change mainly for glowing as these for some guilds have been extremly rare.
  18. Windance Augur

Another thing to factor in is the distribution of spells by level for the various classes.

I was talking with one of our SKs and he pointed out that he has 5x 115 spells on his casting bar. 5 / 13 = 38%.

Given the amount of drops we're getting from the chests we're should have completed every ones spell drops.
  19. Midasa Elder

For older expansions (maybe 5 and older), just make the highest level spell clicky always drop, they can be converted down. You still have to do the raid, but can get any level spell that you are missing.
    Jondalar likes this.
  20. Angahran Augur

That does nothing to help.
    While some older raids can be one grouped or even soloe'd others still require a large number of people just to deal with mechanics, e.g. sisters.

Getting several groups together to do a raid simply to fill in gaps in my spellbook is nuts and never going to happen.