OLD SCHOOL PLAYERS

Discussion in 'Guild Recruitment' started by tigersnack, Sep 18, 2020.

1. tigersnack Journeyman

Looking to start a Guild of Old School, TLP players and NEWBIES to EQ on a LIVE server and gauging if there is any interest in this playstyle. Want to raid, earn Epics 1.0 and grouping with good Folks, but also want to have fun on the JOURNEY and level up in some of those zones rarely visited.

Old School - guild start up from scratch, earning, looting or making everything you need/want from the Old School TLP-type zones. No Mercs, no Defiant or other gear before GoD. We go out and either make or LOOT what we need.
    Have FUN on the journey to getting geared up!!!!!! Getting GEAR from the classic zones, Seb, Kael, etc etc...getting ToV armor, getting EPICS and NOT having these mobs perma-camped!!!

Looking for GOOD HEARTED and GOOD NATURED Folks. I started in 1999 but almost exclusively play TLPs.

Please dont bother pointing out the painfully obvious =). For the last 2-3 years I have been experimenting and test playing this style on Live Zones.

Problems with TLP Servers.
    • Greed and PERMACAMPS
    • Real Money Traders, KRONO and PLAT farmers and sellers, Elitists camping all good drops as well as EPIC pieces and then selling/bidding for loot rights
    • All new TLPs will be awful. The above parties immediately move in and set up shop to MAKE MONEY. They have it well rehearsed!
    • RUSH to top level immediately out of the gate on new TLPs
    Basic Guidelines:
    • No Mercs, No Defiant or top-end Gear (exceptions will be made as needed. Maybe a rare spawn for your Epic is up with no one to help. Grab a Merc if REALLY needed and get the drop)
    • No players with bad attitudes or bad personalities.
    • Dont want to tell Anyone how to play but flexible rules are needed to make this work. XP is fine playing this way, without Mercs or outrageous gear. Still have to grind some but to me, the XP rate is acceptable.
    • NO RUSHING ...looking to GROUP and have FUN getting the nice Old School gear. THAT is what this guild is all about. Getting that GEAR without fighting all the Greed and Nonsense of the new TLPs
    • CRAFTING- Take advantage of the LIVE server features. MAKE GEAR and stuff we NEED....
    • TEAMWORK !!!!!
    Everything above is a GUIDELINE. Discussions will need to be had on a lot of things that affect playing Old School ---- Should Loyalty Vendor be allowed? 2 boxing? Buying gear in /baz? Guild Name? What Server will we play on?
    I am currently testing on DRINAL MAELIN STARPYRE with the guild tag of THE SEA ELVES
    Sabrecat (started 1999 on The Nameless and guild Valorguard)
    Sethelle
    and several Newbie alts for experimenting- All tagged as THE SEA ELVES
    Come visit me or respond below if you have INTEREST in this play-style

SABRECAT the Vah Shir Bard
    Skuz and KermittheFroglok like this.
  2. KermittheFroglok Augur

It's a neat idea, but if you don't have luck recruiting you might check out some of the casual family style guilds on FV or Vox. I'm drawing a blank on names but there are already guilds out there that do something similar to this in that they casually do the old progression.

However, most of the other guilds still pull in mercs & defiant gear for raid targets. I know you said you've been testing this but from my experience you'll likely encounter trouble with what you want to try on Live because:

*There aren't as many early era pick up raids and if you're trying to simulate an "in era" experience you'll run into issues on the Epic 1.0's where you only have a 1/2 dozen to dozen people but need to down a raid mob for an Epic drop. The classic dragons & Phinny are doable if you're patient, but the later zones like Plane of Sky might present a road block for your guild. Likewise, for raiding in general you'll likely lack the DPS needed to take down high HP targets like the Avatar of War.

*Contrary to your comment about "grinding" you'll find yourselves quickly out leveling the content on Live (even off FV). So you'll either need to roll a lot of alts and rotate who you use, de-level yourselves, or just accept that you'll need to do some content at levels higher than possible when the expansion was released.

Good luck, but just make sure you know what you're getting into with this. You might even just want to consider running this on Agnarr. Agnarr is a more mature TLP and shouldn't be anywhere near as toxic as the newer TLPs. That'll also help you recruit help for the PoP progression in era without needing to cheat with mercs or defiant gear.

Again, good luck!
  3. tigersnack Journeyman

Thanks Kermit!
    Been playing since 1999 so I understand the game well. In all honesty, I was expecting 1-3 of 100 readers to have some interest. They are the select few. Tentative plan was to have maybe 10-20 folks that want to play this way. I know they are out there as I have spoken with many.

You wont quickly level out if you play old school rules. Ive been doing this for the last 2-3 years as I have mentioned and have not had that problem, unless twinking or using defiant. hehe Level 50 in a day? No thanks
    I am currently taking 3 sets of Toons (2 boxing for now), each through their own expansion. One set through Classic and Velious, one set for Kunark and one set for Luclin so their wont be any de-leveling

I wanted to stay away from the older TLP servers that are mostly dead now. Agnarr had 64 people in general chat yesterday afternoon around 5pm with 31 of them in POK.

Again this was to gauge any interest but I appreciate the guild offer. I played on FV for many months last year and there were too many people camping the good old school gear, but I liked the server population there.
  4. Thewiz Augur

Come
    Come do this on Rizlona and I'll happily join you.
  5. tigersnack Journeyman

Hiya Thewiz! I'll put you down as interested.
    At this point, the server to play on is wide open. My only concern is having to compete with farmers for the good drop camps, thus I was leaning towards the lower populated Live servers.
    We'll see how many more would like to try this style and take it from there =)
  6. Thewiz Augur

You can camp nearly anything without an issue here most of the time. Exception being some epic bottlenecks. It really is a fine experience here.
  7. Thewiz Augur

Any updates?
  8. Feelics New Member

Test server may be something to look into. It is low pop, and still has AoCs for raid content. It also allows F2P people to play like they are subs, up to a point. Did something like this not too long ago with some friends of mine. 6 of us, 2 or 3 boxing our way up. Although we did use mercs for leveling and farming. But no mercs were used for raids. Nor did we strick to actual level of content. Think we were like 70 or 75 going through PoP. Low numbers does mean some things can't stay 'by the rules'. Nor did we stick with 'in era' gear. It was more for the fun of seeing old content and hopefully get into content we didn't see after we left the game for awhile. Go ahead and put me down as interested, just want to see what kind of limits and how hard core you are wanting to take this.
  9. Thewiz Augur

Rizlona is where it is at for this sort of thing. It has plenty of room.
  10. xmPradah Not a dude

I wasn't going to reply to point out the painfully obvious, but... I can't resist :)

My husband and I played on Mangler for a while (he's played on many TLPs), and made the jump to Brekt last year with another couple - for this exact purpose. We created a "Progression Guild" and were, mostly, wildly successful - but we didn't hardcore stick to level/content rules. In 6 months we completed nearly 40 epics, many through 1.5 and 2.0. We properly flagged, and discussed/decided together when we would advance levels/content, but we too were doing PoP above level 65 - it was needed due to the low numbers our guild had (we did find others with this same mindset).

Then the new TLPs were announced. Rizlona was announced as a boxing server and was very appealing to a few of us - and so several of us made the jump. I'll tell you, with the exception of many people rushing to max level - the other points are almost non-existent. We have no problem getting/keeping camps, and RMTers are not needed on Rizlona (due to it being a boxing server and so many are self sufficient and helpful). Do these exist?? Sure, I'm sure they do - but they are not so prevalent as to be toxic like on other TLPs.

We created <Radiants Awry> and again found others who are like-minded; good people (aka not a$$hats) with the goal to progress at a more casual pace - we currently aim to be an expac behind, but find we are progressing more quickly than we anticipated.

Many of us have been playing since 1999 and need the RL/EQ balance that comes with adulting. Many of us have kids (some grandkids) and we all respect that the people behind the characters have other meaningful objectives in life.

We raid twice per week (Thurs/Saturday - ET) but there is never a raid requirement. We recently implemented the more casual friendly SK loot system, as opposed to DKP or /random.
    RA has solo through 18-box players - and no, our 18-boxer is not manipulating camps or being a poohead - he's actually one of the most helpful players I've had the pleasure of knowing in 21+ years of playing.

So, if you've made it this far in my post - look us up! :) You may be pleasantly surprised by what Rizlona and Radiants Awry has to offer.

https://discord.gg/d7Vx9p8
    Thewiz likes this.
  11. tigersnack Journeyman

This sounds very interesting!
  12. xmPradah Not a dude

I saw that you joined our Discord (yay!) - I've sent you a couple direct messages; hope to hear from you soon!
  13. GriefPK Elder

this is interesting, PM me in discord!
  14. Ssly_Vestor New Member

looking for something similar to this...not a fan of TLPs but like the older content
  15. Salvation New Member

Love this idea, though I am already on Aradune myself. Not really looking to do a live server at the moment. Good luck!
  16. Ecidew Journeyman

Sounds interesting .. Though I three box (technically) .. One computer, two Monitors, two Toons, Wiz Chanty, each full windowed on a monitor .. No box software .. All action keys are on edge between monitors just cursor back and forth .. Third is my wife’s cleric, on her computer, on auto follow, with mouse handy for heals .. Face it, there are times, when the wife is just not interested ..

I have played “Wear What You Kill” many times with that Wiz/Chanty duo .. I cheat by your standards wearing Defiant .. But no bazar, any accumulated plat goes to trade skills to make Jewelry .. In three weekends I’m in the 50s and bored .. Half a dozen servers have me Chanty/Wiz duo on them .. A lot of other servers have a Solo Wiz or Necro on them in the 50s ..

Recently I did Rizlona (TLP-Boxing) .. Chanty Charm Pet, Wiz DPS and Cleric heals .. Chantys are seriously overpower with charm pets up to level 50 .. With no Defiant gear took Four Weekends to get to 48 on toons .. Definitely slower with poor gear ..

So if you see a level 12 Wiz quadding Beatles in NK or level 15 Wiz quadding spiders in EK .. Don’t bother to SoW him, I will just click it off ..

Ecidew
  17. Lutor New Member

I'd be very interested in something like this and want to mention a second time the option of test server. Test would allow anyone playing on any server to copy a character over and not start from scratch and play with gold membership. Great way to gain members and recruit if needed in the future as it's a quick copy away. Rizlona and Aradune players could copy a current character and get after it.

Hope that interests you.
  18. Ssly_Vestor New Member

I see the YouTube steams coming from Test...what guild is it?
  19. Grudge New Member

Did this ever happen? I would be interested! :)
  20. Tikno New Member

Did this ever happen? If so, where at?