Who misses the OT Goons?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Who misses the roving band of high-powered dragoons in the Overthere?

It was an interesting mechanic that was not implemented for the RoS version of OT.

I wonder if it would be a mechanic to create challenge for players but also affect botting. It would be less annoying than the Skyfire drake fire balls and RoS OT traps but more annoying than Restless Ice DoT.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well the Old Overthere outpost was an evil-aligned one so dark races were fine so long as they hadn't wrecked their VS faction (hunting in Karnor's Castle would do that).

The new overthere is ran by the New Combine Empire so having KoS Dragoons roaming from/to there along the paths just doesn't fit, naybere there could have been a disaffected group who were against the Empire and their Dragoons provided that "oh S**t, look out" moment.

Don't miss them myself as I always played evil races the Dragoons were friendly to :)
    Benito likes this.
  3. Nadisia Augur

On that part, and on the RoS OT traps : please, NO !!! Never again !!!
    This mechanic is utterly stupid, mainly because the trap range detection is totally broken ...

Sometimes you run litteraly over the trap and ... nothing happens.
    And 5 minutes later you pass 30 yards from the trap ... and it triggers off :confused:

@Devs : no more range detection like this on your laggy servers, it's bad.
    Skuz and Benito like this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

True. VS faction meant something and it's great for roleplay.

It would have been cool to see a roving band of renegade Combine soldiers (Seru faction?) in OT 2.0.

There were 3 things that struck fear in me during early EQ: (1) Kithicor Forest, (2) OT Goons, and (3) Snow dervishes in Iceclad.
    GoneFission and Skuz like this.
  5. Zamiam Augur

my fear has always been spiders ..

they freak me out even in game , however in game I get my revenge . In reality they strike fear and panic in me
    Gyurika Godofwar and Benito like this.
  6. GoneFission Augur

Even knowing I can snap anything in Kithicor, I still feel uneasy zoning in.
  7. Shanarias Augur

All this is why I sometimes go and kill that Kill Stealing Sgt Slate just for the revenge. It still feels good.
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I wanna know why OT was on Venril Sathir faction to begin with.

Like, what is the lore explanation for an outpost made up of mainland ogres, dark elves, trolls, etc taking the side of an iksar Lich they likely never met?
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

It's there. It's called Skyfire Mountains, and the "dragoons" AE the entire zone.

It wouldn't affect the bots. They are scripted and just do whatever in response to whatever. It would be horrible for the legitimate boxers however. The worst part of these mechanics is it's a death touch for lower level players trying to find a group.
  10. Protagonist Tank

FV was kidnapped by VS. FV and the high elves are enemy of Lanys and the dark elves. EQ's lore is fibril nonsense, so this means dark elves are allied with VS for kidnapping the booth babe box art girl.
  11. Kolani Augur

Okay, it's been a moment, let me see if I remember this. Firiona was captured by Lanys' goons, in particular the gnome necro whose name I can't remember with the intent of framing the iksar so the high elves would invade and waste their time destroying them so Venril could sneak back in with his forces and reclaim Cabalis in the wake. The gnome necro was key because I think he had some knowledge of transferring spirits?
  12. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Venril had Danak Dhorentath kidnap FV(the chick) from Felwithe to steal the Lifeguide so that he could use it on Trakanon to find the Nest's location. Prior to this, Elves had 2 unsuccessful attempts to setup a colony on Kunark (lost to Frogloks then Giants). With FVs kidnapping Tearis Thex rounds up a lot more support for a 3rd colony attempt (including us adventures) and we begin the Kunark expansion.

If anything, the residents of OT should be pissed at Venril because without his intervention they may have been able to establish a greater foothold on Kunark before the good-aligned races made an another attempt at a colony.

Disagree about the lore being nonsense (most of the time). The theory here is certainly plausible from a boring perspective though, Enemy of Enemy being friend and all that lame-o stuff.
  13. Protagonist Tank

It's weird that you can type

Then un-ironically follow it with

14. Astral64 Augur

15. Sheebea Augur

Haha! I play on a 65" Oled screen. My spiders are up to 32" tall, toe to toe.