[Suggestion] Prevent Mobs From Summoning At Point Blank Range

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Xerzist, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Zamiam Augur

Balance .. nuff said ..

I think its good mobs summon when you get high lvl peeps that like to disrupt the game by pulling mass mobs in low lvl zones to farm then i feel they should be annoyed a bit by summoning mobs .. or if your going to wait till lvl 115 to go back and complete /ach from past expansions so you can get those nice illusions , mounts or speciall AA's vitality etc .. then again yes you should be inconvenienced a little ..
    People dont usually complain about 1 mob summoning them its only when they pull mass's that the summoning erks them .. thats cause 1 bee dont hurt to bad but if you get a ton of mobs all hitting you around and ping ponging you then those 100 mobs can do some dmg and kill a lvl 115 easily ..
  2. German Augur

I like the post earlier that had basepop summon at 80%. Too easy to get a mob summoning even in current expansion with riposte that you cant get back to the camp even if you're pulling 1 mob. Named should be higher, and raid bosses even higher.

I'm not sure if its an issue with the mobs hitbox and a fixed summon range value or not, but yesterday doing hunters in Sepulcher the different hit box sizes of small bugs versus large stumps combine with the 3 minute snare was a perfect example of it not working well. Most of the time you end up between two sets of mobs and hope the strafe circle method can get them rounded up again.

Its almost like the hitbox size vs summon range isn't right. If a mob can hit me, it shouldn't be summoning me.
    Xerzist and Yinla like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yes 100% that
  4. Xerzist Augur

This is why I am hell-bent on getting a fix. I've heard the argument for changing the summon to occur at a different percent. In reality, if the mechanic is intended to prevent x, y, z from occurring - then players getting the kill would be the prize. Meaning, they could have mobs summon at 30% and you would still obtain the same results of "prevention" while satisfying tanking issues to a degree. If people abuse mechanics and get a summoning mob to 30% they still get summoned and whopped.

Changing every archetype of mob in the game to either a) summon or b) not summon is probably a difficult change. I actually do not know if summon is based on a flat range or if its based on hit box or model. If its based on range, my sense says increasing that range would at the minimum solve tanking issues. They could go a step further and make the mob HP requirement to summon at 75% and it would solve many more.

There is also the role-playing argument of "i am a full raid geared beast who descended from hell itself, why can this level 75 kobold summon me as if I am some peasant??"
    German likes this.
  5. Lurikeen Journeyman

Someone else mentioned it already, but I would like to second the idea and that is named mobs and boss mobs in raids encounters should be the mobs summoning. It is really silly to have yard trash like spiders summoning.
    Tatanka likes this.
  6. German Augur

Dont give up....perhaps we can get the TLP servers on board too.

The snake bosses in SSra that are permarooted are good examples to perhaps test. Are there other mobs that are rooted and different size/height? Would love a dev to confirm it but we could also try and do some hold my beer testing.

I am not sure if it would affect the AE rampage and max melee range messing with the code, but some of the mobs that have that crazy HP/Regen buff in Sepulcher I had yesterday the target ring was tiny and I had a heck of a time with finding the right range to fight while combating the summon of other mobs that had the buff while.
  7. Xerzist Augur

Well, you could theoretically just root varying sized mobs after they are at the summon threshold. For testing, probably wouldn't want ones that hit hard. But I am sure some guru on here could provide the raw data off hand. Lot's of smart folks trolling these forums.
  8. Nanan00 Journeyman

Summoning should be restricted to named mobs and raid bosses.
    It should also have a minimum distance to summon of 10 units.
    Xerzist likes this.
  9. Maedhros High King

I'd like to see no summoning at all, but would settle for not summoning until under 90%, and doubling the minimum range that a mob even thinks it has to summon you.
    As others have said, if the mob is able to hit me, it should not summon.
    Xerzist likes this.
  10. Xerzist Augur

Bump. Now that we got a new xpac /whip please fix the summon shenanigans!

:cool:
    Skuz and Sissruukk like this.
  11. Angahran Augur

So basically you don't want this fixed just to be an a## ?

Maybe the high levels are going back to old expansions to get achievements are doing it because when they were the 'right' level those achievements didn't exist ?
    You realize achievements are a new addition to the game and many of us have been playing for a long time.

Having a greycon mob summoning because it took a swing at you, missed, did no damage, is ridiculous.

Having a mob that you are standing in front of, meleeing, summon you behind it, so you have to reposition to continue fighting, while it continues to beat on you, is ridiculous.
    Kaenneth and Skuz like this.
  12. Astral64 Augur

It requires very minimal effort on your part to avoid all the situations you complain about.

This thread is silly.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

As some one who boxes extensively.. it is very annoying esp with bard speed as then the predictive movement program then launches the boxes all over theplace..

However it does not bother me so much that i feel the need for them to stop mobs from doing that very thing.
  14. Whulfgar Augur

And which mobs exactly are we talking about in ToV that summon from 100% health upon agro ?
  15. Bigstomp Augur

I agree with the above post which mentioned something like 'If a mob can hit me, it should not summon me'.
    It might require them choosing an ideal range at about half max melee range.

I sorta feel part of the problem is they are very good at finding max melee range so if I get pushed a tiny little bit, summon happens.

My (untested) theory is making mobs move to half of max melee range instead of full max range would mostly sort this out.
  16. Xerzist Augur

This sounds like you either don't play a tank, or are here to troll. There is no "avoiding" mobs summoning you at point blank range. Add lag and server instability and you get the best show possible.

EDIT: Please enlighten me on the wisdom. I'm super curious. Let me know how to cheat this embedded mechanic during raids when 2-3 mobs are on you, or when you are farming tanking 5-10-20 mobs.

As a tank, I implore you, have your back forcibly turned to ToV raid trash or bosses and let me know how that goes for you. All it takes is one or two of them getting that angle to the booty and you get to take a dirt nap.

If you don't agree with something, just say that, but don't pretend for a minute that any legitimate tank playing this game isn't dealing with at a minimum unnecessary range of summoning mobs. If they are at my feet, 1-2 feet away, its not necessary. I'm not asking for an overhaul, I am asking for very minimal changes.
    Ezbro and Kaenneth like this.
  17. Angahran Augur

How exactly do you avoid a mob summoning you while you are standing toe to toe with it meleeing it ?

Yet you felt the need to comment ?
  18. Angahran Augur

If they could even fix summoning so that you were summoned IN FRONT of the mob that would be something!

It really sucks when the mob you are fighting, at zero range, summons you into it's a## so you are behind it, not facing it so you get told 'you cant see it', forcing you to run around to get back in front of it. All the while it is continuing to beat the heck out of you.
  19. Angahran Augur

How about this idea ?

Only allow mobs to summon if you have deliberately caused them damage ?
    If you are simply running through a zone and some grey con orc pawn takes a swipe at you and hits your damage shield, or gets a repost it shouldn't be able to summon you.
    But if you deliberately hit it, or cast a damaging spell on it then all bets are off.
  20. Sheebea Augur

Tank I am. I see post here form people that have no clue, but are suggesting "ideas" on the matter.

Plainly put, being summoned when a group of mob are nearly arms reach is extremely aggravating, to put it in polite terms.