New game idea to encourage players to make alts

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Sep 7, 2020.

1. KermittheFroglok Augur

Why? Often the preorders and Beta kick-off when or about when the previous expansion sale stops. So it seems more likely Beta is hitting late October? Otherwise, we probably would have had a late September through November sale?
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Which would put it on the same timeline as last years expansion.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. KermittheFroglok Augur

Which was a December launch. My point to CrazyLarth is that there’s no actual sign of delay yet.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yep, but reminding that it is still on last years schedule is important.
  5. Celephane Augur

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...mond-efreeti-boots-focus.269975/#post-3961648
    Ngreth ~
    How many clues to the future do you see here?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Yinla like this.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

I don't make alts because I have no one to play with. Your solution wouldn't fix that because when and why people create alts would be random.

The solution to alts and new player recruitment is ladder servers. The player originated idea has not made an impact on the Devs so it does not exist.

The concept behind ladder servers would be similar to Agnarr. It's era capped.
    So...

Kunark
    Planes
    TBM
    Live
    or some variation there of (50, 65, 80, 95, 115)
    Then FREE transfers up the ladder. This would group like level players on the same servers.

The same could be applied to progression servers. High XP rate, slow to unlock progression servers would encourage people to create new characters with the launch of a server and then move to the next server. Etc. Lots of ways it could be implemented.

Ladder servers are a great concept, especially if using progression servers as the base (as they already exist and are frequently launched). The only thing missing is a free transfer to a later Era. Ultimately the reason I don't play on progression is the end result of leveling is my time being split between 2 groups of people. I would definitely play progression servers if once I reach the level I wanted I could jump to the next server with the end goal having a level appropriate alt on my live server.

I have no interest in paying for server transfers for alts due to population issues and I have no interest in buying a heroic alt to skip from one vacant zone to another set of vacant zones. (Bumping heroics would help but I still wouldn't buy them, because skipping all the lower level gameplay isn't appealing either.)
  7. KermittheFroglok Augur

That won’t work for the same reason Mayong & Miragul failed, the mid “tiers” are disinteresting to most. People generally tend to like early content or they like Live. TLP’s keep launching because the Devs have likely seen that in the population stats. They likely wanted the recent servers capped at PoP so they could start recycling/relaunching.

I can find people on Vox when I play mid-range on Vox so it could be you need to join a guild (or different guild), choose zones people actually want to play in around your level range, or even transfer if your server really is a ghost town even after the last wave of mergers. The Devs can’t feasibly fix an issue like people on your server not wanting to play the content you want to play. If your server lacks the pop in where you want to play that’s on you to pay for transfers to a higher pop server.

Also “ladders” implies a ranked server that might be reset (e.g. Diablo). So I wouldn’t recommend described stacked era servers that way. Per the recent test patch notes...to a lesser degree they are already experimenting with what you want in that they’re loosening the TLP restrictions so you can move from a more restricted TLP to a less restricted one, but it also factors ruleset in addition to progression. Again, I doubt they would ever execute perm era locked servers past PoP era because after that people lose interest.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That is horrid. TSS is a far better leveling path upto what 80 or 85 ish ?
    TBM was also an aweful expansion if your looking for something in that range I would go for CoTF at level 100.
  9. Sissruukk Rogue One

Going back to the OP, it sounds a lot like how SWTOR works with having alts.
  10. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

The last thing I need is another excuse to play more alts.
  11. Schadenfreude Augur

I'm on my third fellowship, I don't need any more encouragement.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

[IMG]
  13. Fenthen aka Rath

I still chuckle when I see people talking about a new expansion.

Do you see what we got with a full dev staff? 6 re-use zones, missing quests, and raids that were months late.

How well is this going to go when many of the developers were poached?
  14. Questoften32 Augur

More allowed: Doll of character spaces, or buy over 14 char slots.
    Zamiam likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

More char slots please!

Made yet another shaman this morning! This one is an Iksar heroic and imbuing Amber. :rolleyes:
    Questoften32 likes this.
  16. Elskidor Augur

We usually hear people say this every year, but no, we usually never hear anything official about the next expansion by now.
  17. Sappas Journeyman

How about sharing of abilities? For example, if you had an alt druid that was max level then any other toon at max level on the same account (no matter what the class) would get maybe a short range tracking ability. If they also had an alt cleric at max level then they would get not just the tracking but maybe a limited self heal ability or something like that.
  18. Lurikeen Journeyman

My main only has 24K AAs. I am not ready for a new expansion.
  19. Zamiam Augur

you still have 2 and a half months so get busy .. also thats IF we get one by years end ..
    Lurikeen likes this.
  20. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yes and no. While I do agree with many of your points, there is nothing wrong with the laddering concept. Anyone can get a transfer off a progression server onto a live server. The concept of laddering works just fine by using existing TLP servers. The only issue is that transfers cost money. All the idea needs is to streamline the transfer process so that transferring from TLP to live is included in the subscription rates. It's feasible and reasonable, but not profitable enough I suppose.

I just threw out some eras for example. Totally missed the larger picture by focusing on irrelevant examples. 4 steps, 3 steps, 6 steps, use TLP, it doesn't really matter. The idea is the same regardless.