Raid/ Group quest Emotes: for Devs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, Feb 2, 2020.

1. svann Augur

I wouldnt mind being allowed to change the size of the mid screen emote font to be larger. Always thought that was an oversight that it wasnt an available setting. Doesnt seem like it would be an excessive use of dev time, especially compared to many other things they spend time on.
  2. Creative Sparks Quiet One

personally i find the mid screen font to be useless and unnecessary. if people would use the Audio triggers there would be no need for it. yes granted that guy chatting about stuff in vent/discord/voice chat that has nothing to do with the raid would prevent you from hearing that emote of Dark Sith Kneel audio when dealing with AoW and get you killed but hey. ask for more stuff that will clutter the game up even more.
  3. Tappin Augur

The OP is 100% correct. - when you have someone in raid doing NOTHING but calling out emote names in Discord, there’s clearly something wrong with in game mechanics. Would it be so hard to give us a customizable window for emotes?
  4. Creative Sparks Quiet One

Exactly Tappin

problem is people have gotten to the point now where they want others to do the work / learn the stuff for them instead of being told the raid strat learning, then doing. and using all of the stuff that is there, has been for years. most of the people in my guild use voice chat to relay "need mod rod" or BigJ's defense will be down in 5, 4, 3. for raid communication. not tell people every little part of what is coming next and to get ready for it(raid leader says in discord player 1, 3 and 3 duck). basically holding their hands to get things done. game has some great features. if people would take the time use what is already there, the game would go so much smoother.

there are some features that would be great. but i can see why they havn't been added in.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

As long as they fix the lossing the "circles" in the geometry. Worsed at the moment seems to be Velks, especially during the Crystal Shard phase, the green slime is either 6 foot in the air or half under the rocks/path. :rolleyes:
    Jumbur likes this.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Another alternative to the emote system, could be to actually make real sound-effects where they make sense.
    If you think about it: then the whole emote-system is just a way for dpg to avoid hiring a sound-effect dev.

The whole, "provide your own sound-effects"-approach from dpg, always seemed "cheap" to me... :(
    They are probably still milking that data-cd with stock-effects, they bought last millennium...:p
  7. Syylke_EMarr Augur

My main request for event emotes is that they have a standard format that does not change throughout the event.
    ToFS2 Usher emote is an example of a bad one. The formatting and location of a player's name is not consistent in the message, making creating an in-game audio trigger impossible (since in-game triggers cannot use wildcards or Regex).

Basically, make sure that any emotes are compatible with the in-game audio trigger system. I tend to be the person creating my guild's GINA triggers, but there are some players that are unable to use it (for whatever reason) so I would like it if they could still use the in-game system.

Beyond that, yes, failure messages of some kind are very useful in tracking down what is happening in an event, and more customization of the message display is always beneficial.
  8. Tappin Augur

I should be able to fully customize emotes from location to size and audio triggers should be fully functional for all of them.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  9. Diptera Augur

Seeing as there is already an excellent workaround for this (albeit a third party app), I would rather Dev time not be wasted on reinventing the wheel.

Not wanting to use GINA because it's not intrinsic to the game just feels... odd. Like refusing to use Discord for chat, since it's also not part of the game.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im not sure I understand what you mean?
    Can't you just make an AT for:
    or, if that doesn't work? make multiple AT's for the sub-strings:
    and
    and
    Admitted, we haven't beaten that raid yet, so it might not be what you are talking about...

But emotes that list multiple names in random order, can be handled by splitting the AT up for multiple sub-strings(and hope no-one in your guild bothers to spell your char name correctly in a grammatically correct list, with correct usage of spaces and comma's...:p ).
  11. Annastasya Augur

For the emotes with multiple names or varying numbers of names, i just make an in game audio trigger for the always used part of the statement (for example the beginning before names start getting listed) and whenever i hear that go off, i know to look at the chat box where event messages are going, or the middle of the screen, to quickly scan for my name.

Sometimes these type of emote messages can be so long, they get pushed up and out of the chat filter because so many other event messages are also happening. This is the worst kind of event in my opinion, where they throw many mechanics at you, at once, that can require contradictory actions.
  12. Fnyyen New Member

1). there are several reason's why gina can be a pita, for one trying to install it on Win10 is a pita, why, win10 enough said.

2). every time i've tryed to get Gina to run it has lagged out my machine with spamming process over and over 1000's of times a sec, this is caused when someone share's their audio triggers and it doesn't copy over correctly and requires every single one to be redone.

3). this is a big one. the game already comes with an Audio Trigger creater. the only problem with this creator is the lack of foresight on how it can be used effectively such as ohh hey more then one named being used. N1, N2 and N3+ if ur name is first that's ok can use the text with your name and it will trigger ok, but now if your name is in slot 2 or 3+ (Avitar of War fight) now that's where the problem starts, in that situation cant set it for only your name in slot 2+ so it leave's ya with a problem of either hearing an emote every time or just for the first slot. as there is no command that can be added to trigger only for your name in those player slots. (to my knowledge) and that is where GINA blow's the one the game comes with out the water. as for the

“The usher requires the attention of yourname,”
    and
    “, yourname,”
    and
    “and yourname.”
    this works ok, but when u have multiple events that use the similar , yourname, and yourname. makes it hard to have an audio trigger just for that event, and getting the wrong emote might not hurt the event, unless you get a death touch mechanic

i personally am not a fan of using another program to do what the one in game should be able to do. so can we please get some functionality upgrades that meet / beat Gina.
    Yinla likes this.
  13. Nniki Augur

Can't say I've had any issue here.
    Sounds like an issue that can be resolved with some user forethought and configuration:
    1. Don't blindly accept someone's triggers (you can preview them before accepting)
    2. Ensure anti-virus is configured to ignore the EverQuest Logs directory
    3. Clean up poorly written triggers (GINA can show you which triggers are taking longer)
    4. Turn off triggers from old content you don't actively need; too many triggers enabled will slow things down
    Not sure what you mean by doesn't copy over correctly and needs redone though. Never personally seen that before.
    Use a regular expression to match just your character's name when there's a list of names:
    Code:
    .*{C}
    Jennre and Schadenfreude like this.
  14. Windance Augur

I am one of the people who trouble shoot GINA issues for guild members and I can tell you that the GINA installer does some really non standard stuff.

Just last week a guild member had GINA stop working. She tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Had a technically savvy guild member remote into her machine and try to trouble shoot the issue for > 1hr. No luck. I read multiple posts on GINA forums, tried multiple 'solutions' none of which worked. After another 1hr+ I was finally able to find something to worked for her.

I think the fundament issue has to do with GINA installing itself into 'interesting' spots with suspicious names. The actual location of my GINA executable is :

C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\9T3HJX01.5PQ\YBCMWA93.7HP\gina..tion_d03ba0016bff7a04_0001.0000_01c7bcb8e29f5572\gina.exe

What happened to predictable path names like :

C:\Program Files\GimaSoft\GINA\[all files here]

For those who might find this message and are also experiencing difficulties getting GINA to start the solution ended up digging down through the AppData folders until I could find the actual executable and creating a new link to that file which I then put on the desktop.

I love GINA, amazing tool, with some amazingly bad choices in where/how it stores stuff on the users computer.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You can have multiple trigger-sets that you swap in/out.
    The ingame ATs, were never intended to be "always on".

I have a trigger set for each expansion, and manually disable/enable individual triggers in my set, between fights. :)

But yes, in general, you need some awareness to make up for confusing trigger combinations.
  16. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Or, more easily, the devs could make emote messages that weren't confusing and could work with the system they built into the game already.

The simplest option is one that has been used in the past where there is a global message that everyone sees and then an individual message that the affected person(s) sees.
    Jumbur and Yinla like this.
  17. Fnyyen New Member

not sure why people say this, just because you haven't had any issues installing doesn't mean everyone is going to have the same success with installs on win10, i wouldn't have mentioned it if was not an issue that myself and many other people have with Gina. so instead of saying. "it works for me" maybe point how you installed it, did you follow installation directions from a web page if so where? if not what did you do?

this might be a side effect of the work around that im using atm to get gina to run because window's admin (even after doing the 1000's of work arounds on the web) keeps blocking my Admin account.

1. kinda hard to tell your raid leader your not going to accept his Gina triggers when u don't know event or have them.
    3. i cant keep gina from hitting me with 1000's of line's long enough to see what is being the problem child before it locks up the application.
    4. see #3

*deep breath, slow exhale* plz re-read #3 again plz. it has nothing to do with Gina. litterly. nothing. and im fairly sure unless im mistaken, plz feel free to correct me.. but the game doesnt use code other then /slash commands on user side.
  18. Fnyyen New Member

the only work around ive been able to figure is to dig the entire folder out and place it in a USB it bypass window's check / admin check/ and antivirus (is why USB HD's are the debil) but it has the problem's ive mentioned above.
  19. Fnyyen New Member

yeah had a friend show me after posting this about making folders for each expansion this way you always have all the triggers you need provided that several boss's in the same expansion don't have similar trigger styles.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

I can promise, it was new and exciting trying to figure out how to award the entire chest before it rotted.