Raid/ Group quest Emotes: for Devs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Duder Augur

Eh, sometimes I can be brash, so it's understandable. But usually the brashness is confined to the topic within a post ;) TY for the reply. All good.
  2. Allayna Augur

I'd say that 90ish percent of the guild doesn't pre-order until a couple of days prior to launch. We test the content and provide feedback and generally we get beta keys for that, although they have been fewer and fewer each year.

If this expansion wasn't 99.9% undead, I'd hate it.
  3. Annastasya Augur

Unfortunately all relevant raid event stuff does not use the "other" filter. Sometimes you have to go searching through npc spells or other's spells or other things you may have filtered off to make the game playable or the chat readable.

Once you've found the correct lines of text to warn you when you need to take an action or expect an AE or get silenced or whatever, then you can make an in game audio trigger. i think the OP makes a fair point and we the players should not have to rely on other guilds to do it first and publish all the information (the lazy option) or use third party programs, which is clearly a violation of the EULA whether the company chooses to enforce it or not for any given program.
  4. enclee Augur

Fair enough, I’d just like to see a collection of top end players decline to test. You’re not wrong though ToV is paper thin on content. I wonder where all the development time was spent?
  5. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun in ToV. I've also been playing it like a madman.

But there are so many things wrong with ToV, especially from a raider's perspective that I'm itching for a new game real hard. It's going to be a long year for EQ's next expansion. Here's to hoping the anniversary content is brutal.

Make us bleed. Please.
    Duder likes this.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

I've said it before.. I'll say it again..

The Burning Lands is thee best expansion in a very very long time..
    Nukester and Duder like this.
  7. Lovehaas the Mystic New Member

Hi Duder,

Do you main tank in any guilds? Based on your magelo profiles it seems that you just play DPS.

Sleeper front/back/side emotes are reported seemingly randomly in the "Event message" window relative to the time the actual spell goes off. The spell text on the "front/back/side arc" safe spell message timing is not even remotely consistent relative to the event message window, so it would be useful for people who main tank rather than main forumquest to have consistent messaging to test triggers outside of raids. It is the norm for two of the emotes to fire at the same time, sometimes all three depending on how the server is feeling.

Again, correct me if you're routinely tanking ToV boss mobs.
  8. Lovehaas the Mystic New Member

9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I would hope you keep your work and "play" computer separate in that case.
    OldTimer likes this.
  10. Smokezz The Bane Crew

What makes you think it was an out of country transaction that resulted in your CC info being stolen?
    Kaenneth likes this.
  11. Duder Augur

I never said the system was perfect. It certainly could use cleaning up. I personally dislike the emotes that are on screen only and don't filter to anywhere in chat to keep track of. However, the original post detailed messages scrolling away and inability to track emotes/ So I offered the bit of advice I had.
  12. Zuchero Journeyman

Gina works? wow you guys are lucky ..i raid for 3 months now and it worked one weekend correctly. Kill that app.
  13. Windance Augur

I'm pretty sure we timed when the sleeper emotes go off and came to the conclusion that the sleeper can have multiple emotes queued up at once. In which case there may only be one 'safe' side at a given moment in time.

I almost positive we found the same to be true of the GMM1 dragon.

For example

T100s - emotes front emote going off in 10s
    T105s - emotes side emote going off in 10s
    T110s - front emote goes off
    T115s - side emote goes off

FYI - I made up the 10s from emote start to when it goes off. I don't feel like trying to dig up the real values.
  14. Windance Augur

With respect to the original poster.

I agree with the request from the OP. I would also ask that we get feedback on WHO failed the emote.

I remember when we were working on the plane of smoke raid. The first thing we do is start looking over the log files trying to match up the 'emote phrases' to what effects are going off.

I'm sure many of the high end raid leaders look forward to the challenge of finding and matching the needles in the haystacks and I will admit it is rewarding when you've been working on a raid for a month and finally figure out exactly how the emotes work ( velks green slime ).

So on the other hand if they dumb it down too far then its going to be like raiding in wow !!
  15. Spankage Elder

I don't play wow, many of my friends and family do. The assumption that the game is dumbed down or easier than everquest, especially raiding, is fairly false nowadays.
    Outside of the massive grinding requirement via the ridiculously bloated amount of AA... I'd wager they're roughly the same and some wow raids require far more player input than EQ.
    Mearatas is an exception and not the rule.
    Just came here to point that out.

+1 for wanting emotes standardized too
  16. Windance Augur

A RL friend of mine bugged me to come play wow and ended up raiding in WoW for about six months. This was around 2010-2011 time frame if I remember correctly.

The WoW raids did take coordination, teamwork, and were not trivial but the difference to me was WoW raids made it fairly clear on the emotes who/what was the target you needed to avoid, run to, etc.

For example:

TBL PoFire shows the target with a big red ring and that person has to run away. This is a great example that's easy to see and do.

TBL Smoke raid has emotes which do AE silence around a target. You get a emote but it isn't flashed your screen, you need to be watching for or setup a voice trigger, gina, etc.

The WoW made it pretty clear when you had to do stuff. EQ not so much, thus the EQ raids are harder to figure out, and harder to get everyone to do the emotes.
    Jumbur likes this.
  17. Astral64 Augur

As my good friend Kaz would say "user error".

There are in game tools that already make this easy if third party software is indeed such a problem for you. Several of these methods have already been pointed out. Yes, even for one who routinely main tanks. This necro'd thread is very silly.
    Duder likes this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Personally, I would prefer if the raids were less emote heavy, but instead gave visual cues. Like vault in EoK, where you had to dodge the guardian's aura, or TBM enslaver where you had to stand on the sparkling platformn, rhinos in GD-raid is another example.

Show, don't tell. ;)
  19. Bigstomp Augur

I've lost track of who's alts are who's but I can assure you either his alts or his friends alts regularly tank ToV content.

Sleeper in particular I've considered turning gina off just to quiet things down since the devs were exceptional at putting the messages on the right filter and I can read.
    Duder likes this.
  20. Bigstomp Augur

Not a fan of the rhino mechanic. They run between two aura's, but you can't always see the other aura.
    You can avoid the aura but still get plowed over.
    Of course situational awareness helps. 'Mob started in the east, so I will move west of the aura that I can't see where it started at'