Paladin (or warrior) + _____________

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Cicelee, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Wulfhere Augur

It's SPA 502 (stun/fear). Necro got a targeted AE while SK and melee dps got single target.

In the case of SK, it's actually a defensive proc. This might actually increase SK susceptibility to damage spikes because of how short duration stuns synchronize NPC melee. I.e. it probably negatively impacts SK swarm tanking.

No other classes have an SPA 502 ability.
  2. Allayna Augur

Watch it in action. It's single target proc chance on each mob melee swing against you. You most certainly can swarm and watch 30 mobs all stop attacking at once.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

Yes and that's exactly the problem. Because as we have seen in the case of paladin defensive procs (that stun), all those 30 mobs align in time and swing at you all at once. The resulting damage spike is more dangerous then if they were not being stunned like that in the first place.
  4. Allayna Augur

The main difference being that every swing of every mob striking a shadowknight can result in a successful proc of presence of fear. You can easily reproduce this and see 30 mobs in GD not even swinging with presence of fear enabled. Perhaps it’s a big that it works to AE stun lock mobs like that.
  5. Szilent Augur

That's not Presence of Fear. It can be trivially reproduced on a warrior in Great Divide if there's any more than 2 dozen players in zone battling.
    Scornfire likes this.
  6. Allayna Augur

:rolleyes:

You're right. Forgot rule one of the EQ forums. Shine no light on shadowknights.
  7. Wulfhere Augur

So the mob animations are impaired while they are still melee-ing you?

This begs the question as to why the offensive knight gets a defensive AA that stun locks a swarm of mobs after all the anti-swarming changes the past 10 years?

Since stuns are the core ability of the defensive knight, I guess the defensive knight (DK) will be getting a defensive AA that life-taps a swarm of mobs to keep things balanced with the offensive knight (OK).

:rolleyes:

It's all about Being OK.
    Lubianx and Allayna like this.
  8. Szilent Augur

no, they plain stop meleeing. 20 players in zone, I can pull & kill about 10 enemies at a go if discs are active, 3-4 without. Pulling is unaffected, I can circle mobs up to get them stacked in front of me & click my positioning buttons to tuck in the stragglers - normal stuff. Get around 30 players? Max in a battle is now "every dwarf I can see from my room and around the corner", they won't kill me since they barely hit back after I Shield Flash the engage; circling them together, though, is torturous and positioning is "fuggedaboutit" since pathing is FUBAR. Even taking tiny steps scatters them again & positioning buttons either do nothing or throw them across the room.

Y'all can have your whole two paladins saying what SKs shouldn't have discussion, but you're off track trying to use Great Divide in your examples. The zone breaks with even a moderate player population. If the same thing regarding Presence of Fear can be seen elsewhere then you should definitely record that happening & use that illustration instead.
    Scornfire likes this.
  9. German Augur

You're a Dex warrior from your signature above (and I am too when in GD caves). If I leave STA augs in it doesn't take long to realize it and have to switch them out when doing that.

And I do my grinds in the caves early morning, with little or no other people in the zone and prefer it that way. I know what you mean about the lag in GD, but even without that lag they do stun, stop moving when it happens and can get out of position in the early part of the pull.

I find when it gets over 20 people in the zone the lag ruins the flow and makes it annoying to the point groups all start complaining and leave.

At least your sever doesn't have the bot crew logging in enough toons in the zone to spawn his own instance, right on top of the people trying to exp. The zone just stops responding.
    Allayna likes this.
  10. allureic New Member

So my two cents i main a paladin.. unless ur have that paladin max level alot of aa,s and augs ur not gonna be tanking well.. pallys had it hard for much of eq life till about 110+ now if set up right u can't mt or mh or both at same time. As for warrior they have best aggro migt... and ac in game.but like pally gear estive.. try them both on test server free boost to 25 try them out go with what u like best ....