You asked!: Torment of Velious is on Sale!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Bobokin Augur

That is all economics and supply and demand curves. The "whales" are still on the demand curve.
  2. Leerah Augur

I would give expansions out to any raiders who had 100% attendance for a month.
  3. KermittheFroglok Augur

You claimed to be an economist and that is a career claim and one I think is fair to question because you made statements that someone with experience in either academia or industry should recognize as misapplied. If you are a business economist, the only advice I can give you is to pursue and maintain a CBE to improve your industry application.

I will not respond to the entirely of your post because you're literally resorting to piecemealing bits of posts and changing the context of your past posts & mis-contextualizing mine (& to some extent Benito's) by fragmenting them. Just to illustrate my point on what you're doing:

I DID NOT allude to DBG just trying to get as much from EQ as they can before winding down the game, I pointed out that Live players will inevitably observe price increases for new content as the number of players to split development costs among decreases. I later also speculate that the recent pricing/product changes are likely from someone else looking at EQ's numbers (i.e. internal staffing changes/realignment).

If you want to debate MMO products/monetization (or in regards to EQ) further you can PM me but I won't respond on this thread because we're trying to move onto a more constructive tone.
  4. KermittheFroglok Augur

Honestly, I do wonder if guild leaders would buy 10 or 20 packs of tradable expansions for their guilds? Price the multipacks similar to how DBC or Krono are, maybe more of a discount since it’s kind of only good for a year or two...
    Leerah likes this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1. Neither of us have the internal data to support our suppositions. But you argue your supposition in definitive terms. Furthermore, you commit the fallacy of drawing a conclusion based on the overall financial health of EverQuest as applied to this specific marketing strategy. (Because, in the observe, you cannot discount the contributions of external investment such as Nantworks).

2. I suspect the marketing department is - at the very least - testing price elasticity. It is very possible that, due to the exclusive nature of the in-game items (i.e. Collector and Premium Edition items), you may be dealing with the definition of a luxury good. Luxury goods often fall into the price inelastic category and even become more desirable as price increases (customers pay for the privilege).

3. Your interjection that lifetime accounts play a significant factor in revenue loss shows how shortsighted your analysis may be. I could easily counter that Daybreak sells thousands of Kronos on their TLP servers.

On the contrary, I am arguing that everyone has this information and merely takes advantage of the seller (Daybreak). The seller - naively - expects individuals to pay the regular price the rest of the year. Note I used the word 'system' (e.g. transactional mechanism) and not 'market' (e.g. competitive auction) in my original response.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

EverQuest expansion Collector, Premium, and Family-and-Friends Edition may fit perfectly as a Veblen good.

Players are paying for the status of wearing the Restless Coldain illusion or riding the Restless Griffon mount.
  7. KermittheFroglok Augur

I didn’t think of it in those terms because I’m still a somewhat casual player, but I kind of see your perspective on how those rarer items are rare because they’re priced high, yet the resulting exclusivity is part of the allure. The gold armor they occasionally list for the DBC equivalent of hundreds of USD comes to mind as another example.

I can see how that might work for the psyche of a competitive hardcore player that wants to “look cooler” too. To be honest, I buy the premiums if I think the mount looks cool. The wyvern with RoS and lava snail with TBL are what finally got me buying top tier.

To digress... if we’re getting a ToV part II, I’d like to see a premium ice wyvern mount , this year’s mounts just didn’t do it as much for me.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Benito like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Well I like the port items:D and the lowest I can go and get that is the Collectors. But for my guild to have one I would need the Premium. I could care less about mounts since they are all the same speed except that raid one which I will never have
    Benito likes this.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

They also sold Blue Clockwork ornaments for $200. Someone nicknamed the ornaments: "The Versace Suit." It has never returned.

I think a ice wyvern mount is a very real possibility.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Expansion teleports are a status symbol in their own right. Though, the TBL lamp hurt the TBL expansion's teleports.

Froststone teleport is definitely convenient!
  11. Leerah Augur

Pretty sure the 12th or 13th Anniversary Raid reward (the gnomish flyer,) is raid speed.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If you mean Maximum Capacity for the 12th anniversary that will get you the
    Whirligig Flyer Control Device which is described as "
    very fast" which in turn is listed as "Very Fast / Fast / 75 Velocity "

Real raid speed however is the Bridle of the Flying Imprisoned Sololar from the Talendor Raid in ROS and has the speed descriptor of "unbelievably fast sokokar." which is 85 velocity.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Yinla like this.
  13. bigpapa Augur

IF , a 85 velocity mount would be in the marketplace , it would be a hot seller imo ,and lot of $$ for DBG
  14. KermittheFroglok Augur

Probably, but DPG/DBG on principle likely isn't going to make the best in class item purchasable because they understand the what the resulting player backlash. They're smart enough not to alienate the raiders that compete for top tier gear by selling something comparable. I suspect they'd first introduce a better raid mount first (whether it be by stat or velocity) & an attainable solo/groupable 85 velocity mount before listing one on the Marketplace.

Case & point, it seems rather deliberate that they've MarketPlace mounts capped at 64 native velocity for years, despite having somewhat easily accessible 75 velocity mounts attainable in game (e.g. Glowing Black Drum/Drogmor). It's clear they either want you to earn the 75 velocity mount in some way, or expect you to pay a boatload for it.

With that in mind, I suspect you would first see DPG make the 85 velocity mounts more easily attainable in either solo/group content because you see it for sale. Even then, if DBG/DPG sold an 85 velocity mount it would probably be in the 10,000+ DBC range OR more likely bundled in a premium edition which runs $140 (or $105 sale).

They know people are willing to pay a premium for speed so I suspect we won't even see a velocity 75 mount for sale at the current MarketPlace price points anytime soon but rather instead just faster (80+ velocity) in a future premium edition bundle.