Why doesn't poison stack?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Isotope, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Isotope New Member

So, I finally got around to skilling up Make Poison on my Rogue. I was astounded that poison does not stack. What's up with that? All the materials stack, why doesn't the finished product stack?
  2. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Depends on what you're making. If you're making the new stuff that we actually use, it stack - albeit only to 20. If you're making the REALLY old school stuff (like on a progression server) then yeah, they don't, and it sucks. But you can get a Coffin Bottle and combine them into 10 charge poisons to save space.
  3. Isotope New Member

Well that's the point isn't it? Let's take Soul Burn for example...there's no reason for that not to stack. Rogue's should not have to pick up a coffin bottle to combine the poison into 10 charges. Even the new stuff why doesn't it stack to 100? Frustrating to me that poison doesn't stack
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The extra combine is for the convenience of having them stack. They are consumables.

It is just part of the old school poisons.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  5. Szilent Augur

They were invented before EQ had the tech to use up items in multiple ways. Because it was an item with a charge, it couldn't stack.
    Winnowyl and Yinla like this.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Don't worry, those nonstackable poisons are completely garbage anyway because the spell resist check is based off the level of the poison, not the player. To put it in perspective, imagine being a level 60 rogue you click a poison that has a required level of 40 and you try to proc it on a mob that is level 55. You are basically the same as being a level 40 trying to land a -0 resist check spell on a level 55.
    Vumad and Sissruukk like this.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

There is a reason for it not to stack. The old reason was technology. The current reason is resource limitations. Don't let the limitations of a 24 year old system discourage you from reaching a more modern system. It is a waste of Dev time to go back and reworking game play from the 90s. The newer stuff (in general) works better.