You asked!: Torment of Velious is on Sale!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Zinth Augur

this isn't a sale... they just put them down to normal prices for all the other expansions.... when they do 50% off of THAT price there... then it is a sale
  2. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

You disrespect a player ( me ) and you are ungrateful on the pricing.
    Why are you here?
    Coagagin likes this.
  3. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I find that a discount is a positive thing, people complaining?
  4. Zinth Augur

feel free to be offended... nothing happens when you get offended...

their upped the price on ToV over what they usually had... aka it was too expensive... not it is in line with "normal" prices... so if they do their usual "50% sale" on that price... then they are in line

if you are offended you can watch this:
  5. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Zinth,
  6. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I just bought the Basic Edition to Premium Edition upgrade for $72 mainly for the Guise of the Restless Coldain. I have also collected every heritage crate illusion. The price is better than gambling on the crates. You are getting a Heroic Character, 2 40-slot bags, 2 mounts, 1 merc contract, 2 metamorph wands, a painting, and Crystal Caverns teleports. The offering is a bit more generous than usual.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Zamiam Augur

ok well I weighed the benefits of purchasing the F&F with all access discount upgrade from standard and 25% off sale it cost me $145 bucks (dont ever say I dont support EQ ) got all my lil toys I like and sold the gifts off for 12 krono and they sold quick think i advertised it 3 or 4 times within a few hours and sold everything .. so was well worth it ..

btw just an FYI .. the gnomish legendary bundle is tradeable as long as you dont click it once you get it .. that alone comes with 5 items Illusion,mount, familiar, port clicky and a hero's forge suit .. however if you click it then the illusion and mount become no trade and you only have the port clickie , familiar and hero's forge suit to trade ..
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. Bobokin Augur

And? I didn't know level 85 characters were in short supply for veteran EQ players.

Thank you, Mr. Obvious.

Do you understand how markets work? They won't be taking money if the price is too high. They are pricing themselves out of the market.

Yes, they do. An increase in price means a lower demand. Either the internal numbers show that the game is already dying, or they will make sure of it with these kind of actions.
  9. Bobokin Augur

Wait, wait, wait. Is it a free market, or are they gaming the system? You want it both ways.

The lower price reflects the fact that another expansion is coming, and the value of purchasing the current expac is basically only in the cosmetics, ornaments, guises, and mounts. Perhaps they believe the 115 level boost is worth the extra 25%, but I am sure that won't be reduced by purchasing the next expansion.
  10. Bobokin Augur

I am an economist. Marketing is what happens after I go through the numbers and give recommendations. Marketing puts lipstick on a pig. I'd rather them put lipstick on a beautiful damsel or the shine on a glorious knight.

Even so, I see so many mistakes by DBG, it is a wonder they have not closed their doors. They leave money on the table and then try to play hardball with the loyal customer base. If Everquest was a relatively new game, it would be done.
  11. Bobokin Augur

Remember when the Standard Edition came with goodies for $39.99 and the Collectors Edition had the mount and house for $59.99?

The old Standard Edition is now the Collector's Edition for $89.99, and the old Collectors Edition is now the Premium Edition for $139.99.

So what was once $59.99 retail is now $104.99 on sale, and we are not supposed to say anything about it. The demand curve must have really moved for the prices to be that high.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I've seen your posts over the years... if you ran marketing for a company and they followed your directives, they'd be the ones out of business. You'd be giving everything away for next to nothing.
  13. Sobmre Augur

not that it means much to dbg, but you can count me out on buying what ever edition has the illusion in it this year
  14. enclee Augur

Supply and demand curves have nothing to do with video game sales. They pushed the prices up, because they know the “whales” that are buying are the more expensive versions are still going to keep buying it. There’s no economics involved it’s all behavior patterns that have been extrapolated with all the data analytics from microtransactions. There’s already algorithms that can predict what kind of spender you are in games.

Sure, hypothetically at a lower price point more people would buy it, but why lower the price when you can make more money raising the price $50?
  15. Tappin Augur

Why would a whale wait until an expansion is on sale to purchase the super deluxe version? Isn’t that itself a contradiction?
  16. enclee Augur

You’re assuming all whales are the same.
  17. KermittheFroglok Augur

No, that's not how most corporations work and I'm going to call you out on that career claim because its clearly either outright false or inflated.

Financial Analysts (or similar titles) generally make product recommendations related to cost & price, not economists. I know because earlier in my career I was an analyst for a Fortune 1000 company (just shy of 500 this year :-/). Before you go after it being "earlier in my career", I got promoted out of that role.

Economists work more commonly on high level industry forecasts, the only exception are industries focused on a commodity or commodity like products, in which case they might work with corporate finance on pricing decisions, but EQ is not a commodity, its bundled into a niche software service offering.

Either a real analyst or economist should understand the blatant answer/issue with your next post.

Yes, the demand curve has shifted over the years. Holly, during her Everquest Show interviews, stated that the split out between Live players & TLP players is not about 50/50 and that they're re-acquisition focused. Looking at the recent merges observing populations on both types of servers, Live players are diminishing and likewise the demand for Live expansions has decreased.

But you're over generalizing EQ by implying it should fall onto a broad MMORPG curve which is absurd. I'm not going to entertain the notion that there's supply based off competitor MMOs because the reality is EQ is very niche offering, you can't reliable put it on market curve with other MMOs because EQ's offering isn't comparable enough the modern MMO's.

As an "economist" you should understand there's virtual infinite supply of EQ expansions to sell, so the pricing curves in this industry work differently and become resource (or in some cases cost) oriented, not the typical supply vs. demand.

In this scenario, supply is essentially replaced with production resources. Resources available to DPG for expansion development is clearly decreasing & have to be proportionate to their revenue. (Which admittedly is a messy generalization to make because it creates a relationship where revenue then drives supply, but revenue ≠ demand, so it's not really circular. For forum purposes we need to keep it generalized and somewhat high level.)

Decreasing demand creates a disproportionate shift in resource availability (relative to service delivery requirements), which then shifts the curve intersection towards a higher price.

The harsh reality is that we'll see price increases for expansions or we'll see less content in the expansions. Eventually, the expansions will stop when players won't be capabale/willing to fund further development relative to what they're getting. Given how many whales are in the community, I think the higher tiers of expansions are more price inelastic than you'd believe.
  18. Tappin Augur

No I am not. Many sites defines a whale as someone who spends more than a $100.00 a month on a single game. Again it doesn’t make sense to wait until a sale if you can toss that much cash around.
  19. enclee Augur

Ah, so you just took the first article that popped up in a Google search? Applying a set restriction such as $100 per month or immediately buying any game related product regardless of price doesn’t account for actual behavior. You’re wanting to apply a rational condition to something irrational. “Whales” have variables behind them and aren’t just a strict definition.
  20. Tappin Augur

Those who have an particular irrational behavior typically don’t make a rational choice on whim. Your suggestion that whales drove the sale price increase is largely absurd.